1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on PFS Ultimate Fit Comb

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frank E., Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank E.

Frank E. Member

I was thinking about getting an Ultimate Fit Comb for my PFS. I would like to hear the pros and cons from the people who have one. Thank You for your interest. Frank

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Mike- Thanks for thinking of me.

The comb that I made is very similar in design to the ultimate fit, but uses a soft Gooey comb (from trapdude.com) rather than a hard plastic comb, in part b/c they are a lot easier to get a hold of. My first version was setup for maximum offset as thats what i needed for my gun, and was fairly simple to make as it just required drilling holes. The next generation featured adjustment for offset as well as height. I was able to accomplish this via a drill press with a cross slide vice for milling the slots for side to side adjustment. It worked ok, but was a very labor intensive process, simply due to the fact that I could only take .002 to .003 per pass, and I had .059 material to go through (rigidity of the setup was the biggest problem, if i tried to take any deeper of a cut the vice moved around and the endmill started walking). I do go back to school tmrw and will have access to proper machines again, hopefully I can find some free time and run some brackets so I can maintain an inventory of them. Watch my website for more info (http://www.freewebs.com/kolarshootr)

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I was disappointed with the Ultimate Fit comb. Rather than come up with a complete new assembly, Apogee decided to use the existing comb block. The design means you have to attach the UF comb hardware over existing washers. That chews up the side plate when you adjust or tighten, and cants the whole assembly. Aside from the bad implementation, there is only slightly more offset available with the UF comb than with the standard.

All in all, a poorly thought out implementation. Hopefully, Skeet_Man will do better.

4. skeet_man

ZZT- my design is similar to that of the ultimate fit in that it uses the existing mounting block. Mine doesn't have adjustment on the side like the ultimate fit (loosening screws and sliding the whole bracket up and down), it adjusts with comb post spacers (or screws depending on how its setup) like a traditional adjustable comb. With my comb, I can tell you that there is ALOT more offset than the original comb, my stock has somewhere b/w 3/8" and 1/2" offset. Heres a pic:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=000_0004-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

My design will need a little more tweaking (such as the fact that it only works with ribs that are at least 1/8" taller than a flat rib presently, and I would also like to source hard combs for the unit as well for those who want that option), but like the other things i've made to sell, it started with something I needed for myself, then got modified over time until they were ready for sale.

5. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Skeet_man: This is way cool, I got to get me one.That looks like the solution to my offset problem. I'll be in touch.
    Once again as with your bbl weights YOU DA MAN!!!!
    I guess the old saying is true necessity is the mother of invention.

6. skeet_man

just to clarify, my unit is not in production yet. I should have brackets made in the next couple weeks, and combs by then too. I imagine if all goes to plan i'll be up and running by mid to late february. If you want to drop me an email, i'll file it away until I get online with this.

As a side note, does anyone have a couple pics of the ultimate fit they can send me? I saw one pic on here before, and a couple in person, but its been at least 6 months since I last laid eyes on one, want another look at one to see if there are any other improvements that can be made.

kolarskeet@gmail.com

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

sent you some pix skeet. Some thoughts. The existing mounting block is not sufficient. I was not able to get sufficient offset using the PFS and the Ultimate Fit Comb. As you will see in the pix, it isn't the greatest design. If you machine a replacement block that is wider, you can get more offset, plus you do away with the unused screws, etc. As long as you offer enough offset, 5/8" was not enough for me, you do not have to use the brackets(s). If you do not, consider offering your comb piece in different heights, so someone with a long neck doesn't have to put 3/4" of spacers under a small comb to get it where it needs to be.

8. skeet_man

zzt- thanks for the pics and suggestions.

The only problem with a wider block is you can only go over so far before you run into the tube on the top, or your jaw runs into the tube at the bottom. I can squeeze maybe 1/4" more out of my design by offsetting the bracket from the block with spacers, but again, your putting your face very close to hard metal. I think the problem with the factory ultimate fit is the comb is much wider than a std shotgun comb. I have no measurements to verify this, just eyeballing a couple. The comb i used measures 1.327" wide. The combs I plan on using are premade by trapdude.com (gooey combs) so they are all uniform thickness.

Heres a couple pics of my setup so you can get an idea of the offset i'm talking about, don't know how good they are, but hope they help:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=000_0004.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=000_0005-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

That's not enough offset, skeet. Did you turn the block around so the thin end, measured from the top rod, faces your face?

10. skeet_man

the thin end is on top, same alignment as is used with the original comb.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Skeet_Man/?action=view&current=000_0006.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

How much offset do you think is necessary?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.