1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Live Pigeon Shoots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

My favorite food is a grilled steak. A perfect day is one that includes fishing with my kids in the morning and eating our catch in the evening. My wife loves the fur coat I bought her. I would sacrifice any number of laboratory animals in the hope of finding a cure for a human disease. I think the people from PETA are dangerous extremist. Finally, although I do not hunt for personal reasons I admit I have been tempted and I understand it is an important part of our American heritage.
    On the other hand, I find the thought of a live pigeon shoot abominable and I would support its prohibition.

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

My take is you will kill for fashion (the coat) but not for sport (the pigeon).

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bullcrap!

Curt

4. andybull

andybull Active Member

Keep shooting clay pigeons if that floats your boat.

5. Bushmaster1313

The coat is a good point

My answer is that I think animals should be used but not abused.

Also, by "live pigeon shoot" I meant shoots where the live birds are thrown instead of clay targets.

6. atanra

atanra Member

I am going by the assumption that you want a legitimate discussion. You throw out the statement you find it abomnible and you would support its ban. Have you done any research on the sport at all? Do you know where the birds come from? The same birds used in this sport would be poisoned instead of killed quickly. These birds you see are gathered and exterminated in a profitabe method which allows for the further population control without a huge cost to taxpayers in the cities. These birds are not raised for sport . They are vermin gathered and sold to sportsman. The equivilent to an airborne rat.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The reason that Passenger pigeons became extinct is because of Trap shooters. People like Shootlow and Hauxfan are to blame. Great job guys.

8. Bushmaster1313

Even though the Gitmo terrorists and the ACLU types are vermin and waterboarding is way too kind, I would not support throwing them as targets.

Pigeons and rats are far less noxious.

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I once saw a pigeon fly over very fast....I don't think I could hit one!!!... Uncle Sam, Pa.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Bushmaster, realize this then, in many areas after the shoot the pigeons and gathered and a feed is put on using them and other areas, bird boys gather them to be distributed amongst locals for food.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Tron, Here's the real reason those pigeons are extinct.

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

12. Cooter

Cooter Member

And I guess you would be ok with stopplng rod and gun clubs from stocking and shooting pheasants,quail,chucker and the like for sport?Whats next,no more stocking trout for fishing clubs?I shot live birds for two years and one of the suppliers told me he buys birds from a city out west,they catch them and if no one buys them the get incinerated,if I was a pigeon I'd take my chances at a shoot.

13. Bushmaster1313

I would be the first to invite hunters to my local park to eradicate the Canada Geese

And I have had as many as eight deer in my backyard eating my vegetation and I would like them gone as well.

Someone please come and shoot all the squirrels on my property. One of them ate the gas line on my BBQ grill and one ate much of the wiring in the engine compartment of an old Buick.

When someone told me they were going to Argentina to shoot at flocks of pigeons over the fields it sounded like fun even though I would not do it.

But there is something about throwing the birds as targets (where the goal is to get them to fall inside of a circle) that sticks in my craw and which makes all the other shooting sports an easier target for the anti-gunners.

14. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I for one have shot live pigeons and I loved it. If someone can tell me what mosquitos, rats, mice, pigeons, sparrows or starlings are good for besides killing or targets then I might lay off of shooting them. However, as I see it they have no redeeming qualities. So here is to all pigeon shooters. Keep on shooting and making it look like there is a pillow fight going on about 30 to 42 yards in front of you.

PPPOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Luv2Shoot....do you really shoot mosquitoes ???......Uncle Sam, Pa.

16. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with the sport, as long as there is a grill close by cooking the dead targets and the shooter is eating his harvest

Tron, where and what is your proof that trapshooters cause the passenger pigeon to disappear?

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Bushmaster, after your second post it is quite apparent to me that you needed to stir the ??!! here for your amusement today! But if there is one single minute percentage of your posted feelings concerning the matter you want to invoke, due a simple research on the net about the item you have selected and apparently want to defend!

18. atanra

atanra Member

Bushmaster your rationale of why you feel we should ban pigeon shooting is flawed at best. This is the same as the person who does not like military type firearms. He reasons that they should be banned so as to not risk the loss of all guns. He doesn't like the idea of them so everyone should give them up. Its the right (moral) thing to do. Any division is division, If this were not the anti's issue it would be the next thing on the list. You don't like the idea of gun sports that involve death of an animal, fine. Please do not try to enforce your will on everyone else under the guise it is in our best interest.

19. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Timberfeller, that's something that my Mom told me.

20. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Uncle Sam, no, I don't shoot mosquitos, however, I still find enjoyment killing them when they lite on me or bite me.

However, I have shot carpenter bees with a .410 when they are flying about a foot or so off the eave of a building and I stand under or aside of the eave. Better add carpenter bees to my list also. However, I usually only hit about 1 out of every 3 or 4 that I shoot at. Gotta wait until they hover. I don't think those little wood boring b@$%@^ds even do any pollinating.

John E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

columbaire pigeon shoot

real pigeon trap shots

what is a columbaire shoot