1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Cannon safes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hrosik123, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Looking to buy a new safe and saw a Cannon 24 gun on sale around here for 599. I think it's a great price. 4 1 inch bolts and it's fire rated for 30 min @ 1400 deg. I would like to get a larger one but need to get some guns locked up so my current safe isn't over stuffed. Any pros or cons on Cannon would be appreciated. Thanks

2. AEP

AEP Member

I purchased one last year. I have been pleased with it. As a general safe it's fine. Are there better safes out there? Yes. I would buy another one? Yes.

You can spend alot more money and not get that much better. A Captian firefighter friend of mine told me most fires are out prior to the tempertaure getting to 1,000 degrees if you live in a city with a reliable fire dept and you are in a single story. If your out in the country or rual area the fire rating may be a little low.

I would purchase the 36 gun safe. I't amazing how fast these safes fill up. Make sure your long barrel guns fit. My top shelf sits a little low. My safe has some cut-outs for those long barrel trap guns but your limited to a few guns. Not a real biggie unless you have many trap guns.

Good luck in your selection,
    Andy

3. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

I've had one for eight years, and am very happy with it.

4. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

horsik 123,

You missed it. Menards had same safe on sale "Black Fri" for $399. That was in N. IL. I just about bought one but do not need another at this time. Still regretting not buying.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

According to my Locksmith ... any name brand real safe is good (not one of those sheet metal ones.)

He said the casual burglar will be stopped by a regular safe ... but ... a real safe cracker will open up one in a short time.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My first safe was a Cannon "American Eagle" series and other than it becoming too small, I had no complaints. Their warranty is better than most - mine had a label on the door edge stating that in the event the safe is damaged by a fire, break-in or attempted break-in, they will pick it up at your curb, repair it and deliver it back to your curb at no charge. When I replaced my Cannon with a larger one, I chose a Liberty strictly from an appearance standpoint.

Here are photos of both safes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will advise you buy the absolute largest safe you can in any way afford because you will outgrow it. My Cannon was 21" deep, 27" wide and 60" tall and I thought I would never be able to fill it. Well, my Liberty is their largest residential model - 29" deep, 42" wide and 72" high (50 cubic feet) and I have no more room for long guns. They are also nice for storing valuable documents, jewelry and such and it's surprising how much shelf space that stuff can take up.

I also suggest an electronic lock. Trying to open a dial-type lock, especially quickly, without good light on it is hard, particularly when you have aging eyes. Since the electronic lock's keypad layout is the same as a telephone's, operating it by feel is easy. But some other posters wouldn't have anything but a dial-type lock. I have a friend who thought that way until his electric was off and he wanted to get his trap gun out of his safe and didn't have a flashlight handy. He paid a locksmith to convert his safe to an electronic lock soon afterward. Another advantage to an electronic lock is that you can change combinations quickly and easily.

Cannon and Liberty are good brands. I'm sure some others are as well, I've just never had any first-hand experience with them.

Ed

7. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Ed,
    Very nice reloading set up. I particularly like your loading bench. Is it a commercial product or a home built. Would love one just like it.

jmac

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Buy bigger...buy bigger...buy bigger...buy bigger...buy bigger...buy bigger...buy bigger...buy bigger...buy bigger...buy bigger!!!

Trust us on this one. Buy the biggest that you can possibly fit because once the small one is full, you have a $100 piece of metal that is impossible to re-sell to buy a bigger one.

9. larryjk

larryjk Member

I see an ad for a Winchester brand safe that is rated for 1400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. That should keep your valuables safe.

10. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

If you do some investigation you'll find that there are only a few companies that build safes, but a lot of different companies put their name on them.
    Don't worry about a name, look as how they are built and rated.

11. AveragEd

jmac, it is my own creation. Before we downsized into a condominum last winter, I built several like it for others and wrote an article on building a loading bench using that one as a template. That article is finally going to run in the February issue of Shotgun Sports Magazine.

Those two photos were probably taken five or more years apart with the first being taken not long after I built that bench. As you can see, nothing with the bench had to be changed and I load a great deal of rifle ammo on it, which exerts a lot of torgue on a bench.

Ed

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

No matter what safe you buy. Get the largest one you can. I have the largest safe Liberty makes and it is all most fill up.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I did not think you needed a safe for a cannon. LOL.

I would hate to be the poor SOB that has to take out the small one, and put in the largest one. Jon

14. larryjk

larryjk Member

I see an ad for a Winchester brand safe that is rated for 1400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. That should keep your valuables safe.

15. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

If you do some investigation you'll find that there are only a few companies that build safes, but a lot of different companies put their name on them.
    Don't worry about a name, look as how they are built and rated.

16. AveragEd

jmac, it is my own creation. Before we downsized into a condominum last winter, I built several like it for others and wrote an article on building a loading bench using that one as a template. That article is finally going to run in the February issue of Shotgun Sports Magazine.

Those two photos were probably taken five or more years apart with the first being taken not long after I built that bench. As you can see, nothing with the bench had to be changed and I load a great deal of rifle ammo on it, which exerts a lot of torgue on a bench.

Ed

17. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

No matter what safe you buy. Get the largest one you can. I have the largest safe Liberty makes and it is all most fill up.

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I did not think you needed a safe for a cannon. LOL.

I would hate to be the poor SOB that has to take out the small one, and put in the largest one. Jon

19. lboh

lboh Member

As expensive as shot is of late, I would have all those bags of shot in there.....

20. trappertom

trappertom TS Member

Bought a Cannon 6 months ago and it is the same one you are looking at. I wish it was bigger, but I wish I had a bigger truck, house and wood working shop also! It is a great safe. Had trouble with the digital lock but Cannon support was great! They had a locksmith at the house within 2 days and replaced the lock in 15 min. All is well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.