1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a Taurus .32 H&R Magnum

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tinylo, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I've had one Taurus and would not buy one again. Save an extra $50 and buy a Ruger, at least...or better yet, the best revolver on earth, a S&W

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

BB
    I have heard less than glowing reports about Taurus arms.

I would not want to bet my life on any gun that is not very reliable. If you decide on one, shoot 500 rounds to see how it works and decide.

I would not want to be hit by a 32 H&R; but bigger is always better if you can control the gun, and the gun is comfortable enough for you to carry everywhere. The right holster is important too.

Don Verna

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I've purchased two new Taurus revolvers in the past. The first was a very early stainless steel 850 CIA with fit and finish equal to ANY modern revolver I've ever seen. It functions perfectly, and I carry it often.

I also later bought an 850 CIA Ultra-Lite that looked like it was made by an apprentice village blacksmith in Pakistan. (I now know why the light at gun shows is kept so dim and uneven.) Even after extensive gunsmithing, it would never fire reliably.

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A nice Colt or S&W.. with a 148 gr. hollow base wad cutter loaded backwards make a very shootable..deadly.. light load.. A young girl can easily shoot them.. That has my vote..

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not really a Taurus fan either but I do have a model 85 Taurus that has held up very well for me so I would think the .32 mag your looking at would be plenty servicable. Evidently the quality does vary considerably so look the gun over carefully before you buy it. The only reason I can see choosing the .32 over a comparable gun in .38 Special would be if you got a six round cylinder instead of a five shot. I have shot a few jacks with a 4 5/8" single six .32 mag and the round did a number on them, way more impressive than the .38 specials that I usually shoot. Muzzle flash and noise are also greater with the .32 mag than the .38 special.

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Booger.. I carry a 44 Bulldog.. Made the cast parts out of tool steel.. and never looked back.. It's small.. light weight.. and leaves BIG holes.. What more could you ask for when your life is on the line.. The Beretta "something cat" in 22 was light and easy to carry.. I've seen a man take 9 hits and still kill the man who shot him.. Nothing beats big entry and exit holes..or better yet.. entry.. and no exit holes.. The start of something I would carry would be a 357 Sig.. BUT.. any handgun is better than none.. Properly placed shots with a 32 Mag.. would be effective as the high velocity does have good terminal energy as well as shock value.. The Taurus has come along way in quality..but for a wheelgun.. S&W..Colt.. or even Ruger I would feel better about..

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ray.. if you'd let people know.. with 2.5 grains of Bullseye.. and a large pistol primer in a 303 British case.. with a wad of cotton over the powder keeping it against the rear of the case.. the shell is silent..you might sell some to night time rabbit hunters.. It works.. I used the 90 grain 30 cal. pistol bullets in my 30-06 Enfield.. some 40 years ago..

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Taurus revolvers tend to have rough triggers and most have mediocre accuracy, regardless of what the blowhard Dick Metcalf says. (I've read and "corrected" several of his learned writings about things including Elmer Keith, etc and never received so much as an acknowledgement or admission of error). That said, I have a Tracker 17 that shoots into an inch and a half at 100 yards for five shots. The autos are pretty reliable and have "service" pistol accuracy. My Pt22 is just a fun gun and O.K to stick in the back pocket for a trip to the laundromat. My PT1911 is reliable, accurate, and comfortable to shot, though not as overall "good" as my hand built Colt 38 super.

We sell a lot of two inch Taurus 38s and I figure most will never be shot but am certain they will go bang when and if they are. I talked a guy today out of a Taurus .44 and into a Smith, even though the Smith was way higher, and he is happy.

All that aside, I'd be hard pressed to pick between a Taurus 92 and a Beretta of the same design. We seem to have had fewer returns with the Tauri than the Beretti.

9. Savage99Stan

Oh yeah. The 32 HandR Magnum. It ain't a magnum. It is only a rebadge of the old 32-20 in newer brass with a new name. I have a Ruger in it and can't think of a thing it will do that a 38 super or a light loaded 357 will do better. I would like to try a SP101 in that 321 Federal but have other bills to pay.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

There was a time when more men were killed by 32 caliber handguns than any other so there is not doubt they will kill. How quick the stop is the question.

I agree with PBB the old 38 special hollow base wadcutter backwards trick works good, the original FBI all lead hollow point load even better. I do have to disagree with him on one point, Big hole going in and big hole going out beats no exit every time. Ask an African guide. And nope I'm not worried about exiting the bad guy and hitting an innocent person, something like 70 percent of shots taken don't even hit the intended target in police shootings, if they ain't worried about that then I'm going to put my bacon first. Not to say I'm reckless, I try to always be aware of my surroundings and have a plan if I can but when it comes down to me or them, it's them.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I agree with Stan...get a SP101 in 327 Federal mag and I believe you can still shoot the 32H&R's in it too for plink n practice

12. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Stan, the Tracker 17 is a decent gun, but if you have one that will shoot 1½" 100 yard groups, you have a really good one.

13. dzeh

dzeh Member

I have a Taurus PT101 that looks and feels like a Beretta. Haven't shot it much but about the only difference I can remember is that the Taurus came with a "lifetime warranty". I had to send it in for something minor a long time ago and they serviced it quickly. The only beef I had with it was using an aftermarket clip in it. Shells wouldn't feed right.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have seen the 45ACP 1911 clone made by Taurus and would not have a hesitation buying one..I tried a rental that my local indoor range had they shoot great and have all of the custom tricks..looking to get one in the future

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

This thread has jumped from a lightweight wheelgun.. to 1911..and big guns..I think we lost focus of the question..

16. Savage99Stan

Checked with our gunsmith and he won't do spring changes on most Tauruses or Rossis as he's experienced ignition problems. He smoothed up my 94 Taurus .22 but couldn't lighten it much. My 17 tracker came with, surprise, a good trigger on it which, along with a good scope on a mount it took six months to find, contributes to its fine accuracy.

Yes, you can shoot 32 s&w, 32 s&w long, 32 H&R magnum and 321 Federal out of the SP101 in 321 Fed. I have a single six in the 32 H&R "magnum" and it is totally underwhelming.

17. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Booger, always remember one thing. Concentrate on your dog, and always shoot within yourself.

18. mike b.

mike b. Member

Where did Booger go???

19. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

Remember, it doesn't matter what caliber it is as long as the first number is a "4".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
32 h&r magnum revolver
how much is a taurus 32 h&r mag worth
taurus 32 h&r magnum

taurus 32 h&r magnum revolver

taurus 32 hr 38
taurus 32 mag revolver
taurus 32 magnum
taurus tracker 32 h&r