1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a skeet/sporting clays gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trap32, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap32

Trap32 Member

I'm looking to get a skeet gun that I can also shoot a few rounds of sporting clays with. I'm not into competition but would like to shoot 12 and 20 gauge.

Someone recomended a K-80 Pro Sporter with 32 inch barrels. Any other suggestions or advice? I always thought skeet guns had shorter barrels.

Thanks.

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Decision for 30" or 32" barrel is very much related to the person handling the gun. Try both...32 is not too long for skeet unless it is on an autoloader. Best Regards, Ed

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont know

most people shoot better skeet scores with 28 inch barrels and do pretty darn well in sporting clays with that length or 30

If you dont care about your scores- look like the big boys that shoot 50,000 shells a year and get longer barrels

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I have been shooting skeet and sporting clays with a high rib Browning XT with 32" barrels and really like it. I use 7/8oz loads for skeet. No need to have the 20ga.
    I have the shorter barrels on several other shotguns, they shoot skeet OK but not too good for sporting clays.

Just get a good 12ga.

My 2 cents worth

Bob

5. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Ditto Mike Poore above...excellent quality and for a casual gun, you can buy 4 or 5 of them for one K-80...if that matters to you. I'm 5'9", around 200 lbs (short for my weight) and have shot a lot of skeet and clays, along with trap. Thirty-inch barrels are as long as I can handle for skeet and a lot of clays presentations. You need to be a fair-sized dude to handle 32" or longer barrels for these games.

Just another free opinion, but by all means get a gun for this and go have fun.

Larry

6. 3357

3357 Member

Trap32, I do what you want to do with a berretta 682 with 30" barrels. It has a factory adjustable comb. I shimmed out the recoil pad to get my lop and I have a gun that works great at skeet and sporting clays.

7. fly

fly Active Member

Krieghoff with 32 flat rib, there are plenty for sale at reasonable prices.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

These are both clay target disciplines in which getting the gun on the target line and keeping it moving are paramount to success. You want the gun to be disciplined without being too heavy or out of balance for YOU. Flat shooting. My suggestion would be a flat shooting over-under with the longest barrels that you can handle well. Total gun weight has to be determined by you. I shoot my 32" XT Trap better at sporting than my 30" Ultra Sporter. I'm 6'2" and 200.

9. Trap32

Trap32 Member

wireguy,

when you mention it should be flat shooting, won't a trap gun shoot high?

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The XT is well known as a relatively flat shooter unless one cranks an adjustable comb up high.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Any gun that is shot premounted should shoot at least 60%/40% high. The bird needs to always be above the barrel to be visible. Sporting clays shooters who use the technique of only bringing the gun to their face the instant the shot is fired can get away with a flat shooting gun.

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

barrel length, as others have said, is a matter of preference. 32" is not hard to handle for someone of average or short size, what counts the most is the barrel weight and overall gun weight. I am 6'1", a lean 180lbs. I can shoot the 32" ProSporter just fine and it is my primary gun. I can not shoot a 32" 682 Gold E or 32" Blaser F3. The barrels are too light making them too whippy for me. There are Perazzi guns out there, that i have seen for sale, with 33" and 34" barrel length whose weight varies from mid 1.5kg to mid 1.6kg.

Just length alone should not be the deciding factor....most women say otherwise LOL ;-)

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Why do we generally speak of barrel length? Should not receiver length also be considered part of the picture, i.e., the entire sighting plane? Just feel ornery this morning and stirring the pot..

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I use a 28" o/u for a combo skeet/sporting gun simply because that is what I have. It's fine. If I was buying new, I'd probably go 30". I'm not too keen on the the idea of 32" on the skeet field, especially if it will be tubed. JMO

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here is the problem with longer barrel guns if you dont shoot 50,000 shells a year

If you are off the target line-- and you will be (at least occassionaly) if you dont shoot that much a year-- the additional weight at the end of a longer barrel (doesnt matter brand) will require you to make a correction that is harder both from a weight and a geometry perspective

If you make that correction abrubtly ( which you will probably do because again you dont shoot 50,000 shells a year) that will mean you jerk with your leading hand

When you jerk with your leading hand- bad things happen

Swallow your pride and shoot with a barrel length you can truly handle and for most people in sporting or skeet that is going to be 28 inches

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

If you have an MX8 hanging around with 32"bbls and is mobile choked, use it and just change the butt stock, that is what I do. I never feel I have too much or too little gun control in all three disciplines. I even hunt upland birds with it.
    Besides, it is the gun I have decided to wear completely out in my lifetime, I gave up trying to wear out M-12,870,and a few Lightnings. Shoot well.

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ohhh man! In that case, I must be REALLY screwed shooting a 26" barrel for sporting and skeet. Ahhhhh yes those 90%+ scores in Skeet and 85%+ in Sporting make me feel a little better.

Serious guys, this conversation is an exercise in futility. All shooters are different and some while prefer a longer barrel while others like shorter ones. Admittedly, I'd like a longer barrel for those games, but since I shoot them only a few times per year, I can deal with it for now.

18. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

The best high quality gun on the market today for the money is a Krieghoff model 32 with 28" barrels. You cannot beat it for the money they are going for these days.
    Of course, if you plan to be the world champ in the next 1-2 years, you would want to spend 2X as much on something with barrels 2" longer, although you could just add a $45 barrel weight to your 28" model 32 and get the same results.....
    Mike Durhan

19. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Barrel and gun dynamics are much more important than barrel length. You take a 32" perazzi, beretta, or blaser, and it's going to have fairly similar swing characteristics to a 28" Krieghoff, or a 30" Kolar. Huge changes have come about in the last 10-15 years as far as barrel internal and external design, esp when it comes to bore ID. 10 years ago, anything above .729 was fairly uncommon. Now I would guess that .735 is probably middle of the road, with some mfgs offering barrels in .740 or .750 bore variants. Therefore there can be large dynamic differences, even within a mfg, even within a given length. I guarantee that I could take a set of 32" k80 barrles, backbore them, and make them more lively and dynamic than a set of bone stock 28" barrels. Perazzi probably offers the most options here, they can make you 2 sets of barrels, which weigh half a kilo or more different from one another, with the same barrel length.

BTW, I don't think you need to shoot 50k rounds a year to shoot barrels longer than 28". In fact, I would defy anyone to find more than 2 or 3 people on the country who might come close to shooting that many targets in a year. I shoot around 10k myself between practice and competition, and thats 15-20 rounds of practice a week from early april until september, and registered targets 3 out of 4 weekends a month may to september. I shoot a 30" kolar gun. If you look at the top 30 NSSA shooters, you'll find 85% of them shooting 30" guns, 10% (maybe, I'm being generous here) shooting 28" guns, and 5% shooting 32". I would also defy anyone to name me a shooter in the top 20 of sporting clays thats not shooting at least a 32" barrel...

For someone who doesn't plan on shooting a gun with subgauge tubes, I'd recommend at least 30" barrels. If sporting clays is thrown into the mix, I'd lean toward 32". If a tube set is being used, 30" is appropriate for a lot of shooters for skeet. I'm not saying thats the end all be all, but I do believe that people should be using the absolute longest length barrels they can handle.

One final thought. Look at Blaser. Their 28", 30", and 32" barrels are made to the same weight and balance of each other. At that point, is there any real benefit to not shooting 32" barrels?

20. MaxumImpact

MaxumImpact TS Member

I was looking for the same thing about a year ago. Shot everything under the sun and really like the CaesarGuerini Impact/32". I shoot a lot of trap, skeet and sporting clay with this gun... Just under 6,000 rounds since June 10th of this year. The balance is great with 32" barrels and is easier to swing then my Beretta 682 with same length. The customer support from CG has been truely wonderful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.