1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

thoughts on a reload screw up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amerrycan, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amerrycan

amerrycan TS Member

OK I made a stupid mistake and want to know what you guys think. Here is what my normal reload is
    WAA 20ga hulls
    cci 209 primers
    waa20 wads
    7/8 #8shot
    14gn clays international

Here is what I did I grabed the wrong damn powder by mistake and loaded 550 rounds with 14gn's of clays instead of clay international. Hodgdon does not have any data for Clays in a 20ga. I know they will be high FPS and a high pressure. I am thinking they still will be able to be shot instead of taking that many stupid shells apart. Let me know what you think. Can't belive I did that I feel so stupid. Thanks James

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Banned User Banned

James, I'd call Hodgdons and get their advice if shells would o.k. to shoot. Otherwise you can dismantle later.

3. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Won't be the first or the last, but most of us don't ever tell.
    Good Luck, Safety First.

Joe Woods/Ontario

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

You will likely be taking them apart.

Be thankful you found the problem before you fired any.

Don Verna

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Simple fix..........:)-)

grntitan_2009_2503126.jpg

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Looking at Hodgdons burn rate chart, Clays and 700X are side by side. Hodgdon does list a load for 700X under 7/8 oz of shot (albeit with a Federal target hull)and the charge is 14 grains to 14.5 grains.

Also, are you sure they have 14 grains in them (not off of a bushing chart)?

On the other hand components are expensive and hulls and elbow grease are cheap. Might be a good time to buy a shell cutter.

Myself, I'd probably try one, especially on a cold night in November. If the shell head didn't show me where the ejector groove was, I'd likely continue. Good luck.

Yeah, I know, "And they walk among us......." ;-)

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

James, Sorry to hear of your problem!!! As said above, call Hodgdon number is on there website and talk to a tech there. Find out just how much powder you were dropping and see what he says. I too think the pressures will more than likely be over the top, but who nows you might get lucky. Do play it safe, and don't feel bad it happens to all of us sooner or later. I do recommend the shell cutter above made by Gary Bully. His stuff is made first rate and he has some out now with the nicest wood you will ever see, and at a fair price shipped right to your home. I love mine, and would hate to tell you how many shells I have had to use it on. Saves the wad and all components, but the hull. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Even 14 grains of International Clays gives more pressure that most folks want in tube-sets.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Unfortunately, I would take them apart and learn from the lesson. You can call Hodgdon, but if I don't have data to support that load, the powder is innapropriate for the guage and payload. You cant'd compare it to other poeders like 700-x. It's like apples and grapefruits. Dismantle them, salvage what you can, and learn from the mistake.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Just cut them and reclaim the components. All you are out is the hulls and that is a whole $20 (maybe). Actually you will get some jackasstic advice on this burn speed vs that and even that is okay to mix powders. But you are off the chart with those shells so do the right thing and consider it a leaning experience that really didn't cost much.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Too hot woo hoo, take apart, toss, or give to an enemy.

HM

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I would think that's way to hot for a 20 gauge? I would take them apart.

Ajax

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You need Garys unloader. I did over 500 once because I had them for so long I forgot what was in them. Picture above by Matt

14. amerrycan

amerrycan TS Member

Some of you make some good points. I was dropping 14Gn.s of international with a bushing and checked with a scale. I am going to go drop a charge of the clays through that same bushing again and see what the scale says. I mean sure we all make reloading mistakes but I did on a large scale of 500 rounds LOL. That is what sucks normaly it is a few shells. So where/who does a guy contact to buy a dismantler. I have been wanting one and this just seams like a great chance to become a pro with one :p

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

amerrycan--The post up above "THE UNLOADER" is your man. There are some imitations out there, but there is only one UNLOADER. Beautiful craftsmanship and works like a fine tool at a steal of a price. Gary Bulley is his name. Contact info by either PM or his email-- bulleys@hughes.net

Matt

16. amerrycan

amerrycan TS Member

Sweet Thank you Matt.

I just went and checked and yes it droped 14Gn exact I just scaled it I will send get in touch with Gary.

17. amerrycan

amerrycan TS Member

well spoke to Hodgon today. I was told that is loaded to the point of catastrofic failure of my firearm. So I will be unloading them all no doubt about it. Thank you all for your input and help. James ")

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Just make sure you get them all. You certainly don't want one of those to get into your gun, or someone elses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.