1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a Ljutic Dynokic?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TrapCrazy, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I have the chance to purchase a Ljutic Dynokic for a good price and am going to most likely do it. I have always been fascinated by the Ljutics but don't want to dive into a new one or really expensive one. I usually shoot my browning XT or BT99 for the most part. Any experiences (Likes or dislikes) would be appreciated.

2. steele

steele TS Member

Check to see if it had any updates. The lock time is slower than a regular Ljutic, about the same as a standard hammer gun. VERY soft shooting. They have a different drop out trigger, NOT interchangeable with the mono guns. Same "built like a tank" feel/design. A little heavy for a smaller shooter. I don't think they command the same dollar value as the mono guns. Nice ones are hard to find. If you don't buy the one you are looking at, my better half has given the command to sell hers. Butch

3. Shotgun Specialties

Shotgun Specialties Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a Dynokic Supreme, 33" fixed choke, pull trigger. It has all the Centennial Pro updates and has been completely reconditioned-metal wise. Wood is nice with adj pad and comb. A sweet gun for 2700.00 plus s/h to your ffl dealer. Doug @ SGS

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Put a PFS on one and you have a real soft shooter.

5. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I have two of them, both in stainless. I think they are great!

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Dixie - I'm glad you pointed out that "little" buttstock intrusion caused by the thrust hammer system. Trapcrazy, you cannot get a PFS for this gun -

To Muzzle Blast - I think the lock time of the Dynokic is faster than the other Ljutic models. With the dynokic, You have umpteen pounds of spring driving that hammer forward.

To Trapcrazy, Some people do not like the grip, some do not like the "extract only-no ejector" - keep a weight handy in case the hulls do not lift (mine likes remington hulls). I liked the fact that the gun does not have many moving parts. the trigger can be removed and works on the principal of opposing springs - pretty cool. I still own one and I shot some good scores with it.

7. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I have several and I still think they are a great gun. I shoot it better than my Mono or any other trap gun I have.Doesn't like some steel based shells.Butt heavy, swings quick. I think they will last forever. Glenn

8. Shotgun Specialties

The Supreme's didn't encounter the sticking steel based shells the same with the Pro's. Save this info somewhere....You went from a 8oz thrust hammer that strikes the spring loaded firing pin to a 4oz thrust hammer. We were playing with the Supremes's while designing the Centennial Pro and Pro SS (""SS being Shotgun Specilties)most Supreme's are the same as the the Pro's. It is per say a hammerless trigger, it's not included in the trigger group when removed, it stays in the receiver. Jimmy Ljutic, Dad and I worked long and hard on the Pro's to make them one of the Best Trap Guns ever produced and with limited production we did. other than maintenance to date, we might have had a firing pin or 2 that was pitted due to some cheaper primers. I have had several conversations with the new owner of Ljutic to re-introduce the Centennial Pro SS with the "One Touch Rib". I donated the metal to the past owner and Jimmy installed the "One Touch' rib and Dean Townsend from Ohio Ohio has been shooting it for over a year.

The problem with a in-line trigger/hammer is not being able to adjust lock time. Seitz, Silver Seitz, Bowen and others even Blazer cannot do anything to slow it down other than to put creap in it. Within the first week of building the first Centennial Pro Proto-type Jimmy and I discussed in length and came up with a pretty simple solution. Now it would be crazy of me to tell everyone what that was, but I'm not stingy and have discussed it with personal friends that manufacture the guns above and we're just stupid. But I guarentee, with out doubt, that we can make you a trigger to the poundage and lock time as you desire.

My project this winter, is to reintroduce the Centennial PRO SS "Mr.Softy" utilizing the ProSoft Stock system. The normal gun only weighs about 8-8.5 lbs and wont change but and few ounces with a ProSoft, 34"bbl, Jimmy's XP choke tubes, stainless receiver and trigger, blued barrel. This gun will have no muzzle bounce, recoil less than a .410, "One Touch adj rib (2 styles)#1 being 60% to 100% and a #2 rib being 80% to 120% and keep tyhe gun between 8.5 to 9.0 max. Forgot, made to your desired dimesions

I should have started another post and I am sorry. But between Jimmy, Al, Dad and myself, knowone knows this concept any better.

I'll keep you posted on progress, but we would have to have 10 orders to get them to start production.

The first introduction of Mr. Softy will be on a Mono One Touch adj rib. I'll have details and pic's later this week on a seperate post. Thanks for letting me go on and on. But I get tired of part time dealers and full time dealers jumping in and out of Ljutic whenever something is hot. We've been through the good and the tough times and they have hung in there with us also. Don't write them off, it's just a new day coming. Doug @ SGS
    Pic's of the ProSoft attached
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

National Distributor of Ljutic and ProSoft Stocks 1-800-344-7468

9. dontate

dontate Member

I have a Centennial Pro and a Mono both Stainless. My son shoots the Pro and he has done very well with it. Yes it does not open very wide and as with most Ljutics you cannot get away with cheap steel hulls without a hang up or two now and then. I put a beefier spring in the ejector lift and the problem went away. My sons gun has a palm swell and I like the feel of his gun better than mine. I also think the Centennial Pro has excellent weight distribution. You can put a finger under the center of the receiver and balance the whole gun on your fingertip. As far as problems None! See if you can shoot the gun a bit before you make a final decision. You will know if it is right for you. Good luck.
    Don Tate

10. biff

biff Active Member

And all the time I was thinking the "SS" in the Centennial Pro stood for Super Speed as in trigger speed....now I know the SS was for Shotgun Specialties. I did own a Centennial Pro and bought a release trigger from Doug, it was a work of art! I wanted a trigger group like that for my Centennial Monogun as the Dynakic trigger appeared to be a striker type rather than the older technology of the "swinging hammer"! That Centennial Pro was a very soft shooter, pointed and was balanced better than some of those more expensive SBTG.

Doug, is there any chance of building a trigger group like the Dynakic for the Monoguns? The gun you described above sounds just awesome! Biff

11. Shotgun Specialties

Biff, the mono is 1960 design and the Pro is 2000 design, apples and acorns, you'll just have to step to a new pro. Doug

12. biff

biff Active Member

I never thought anything could make me even consider giving up my Centennial Monogun which Shotgun Specialties specially set up,but the new Dynakic you are working on now has my interest! I know when I owned the Centennial Pro I would have kept it if it had an adjustable rib, man it shot sooo nice and the release for it was the best I have ever tried. Now you got me thinking! Biff

13. old tex

old tex TS Member

Doug

I have Centennial Pro SS # 22.

My stock split where it joins the receiver - Wenig tried to fix but it lasted less than 25 shots.

The idea of a Prosoft really is appealing to me as I just put the gun away.

I have a friend who shoots a Dynokic, he solved the steel base shell problem - Jimmy fitted a positive extractor like a Selka - typical Ljutic ingenuity - works perfectly even if a bit expensive.

Best article on a great gun yet!!!

Dick Lindsay
    old tex

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Well I have seen a Dynokic with a PFS on it. I was told Ljutic made some kind of adjustment to their system and it works great.

15. JTEA

JTEA Member

I owned an earlier one, then got one in the mid 100's (serial #) and a Stainless.

1) the early ones up to # 100 or so were heavier, more barrel heavy.

2) the springs are of utmost importance. Some people don't understand the mechanism, but you will do well to change the large thrust hammer spring every 5,000 rounds. It controls your lock time,which is very fast with the newer light weight thrust hammer. I believe the Centennial version went to 4 oz. to give it the fastest lock time available (their literature). It sacrificed the low recoil aspect - the point of the thrust hammer design. They recalled all the earlier models to switch from 12 oz. hammers to 8 oz. Some of the early ones may have had mercury in them as well. (just saw Doug's comments above)

A good gunsmith can put a full spring in it which gives a very quick lock time. You want to cram in the maximum number of coils possible. One gun I bought used had the spring cut down which slowed it substantially. Many never change the springs. I have some spring stock (same as Ljutic orders) which I cut and polished that I may get around to selling some time. I used to get 2 or 3 springs from one length.

3) they have a few springs in the trigger which also can be adjusted for the pull weight etc. - if you know what you're doing.

4) With factory shells they shoot fine. With reloads you must get a consistent load / firing pin set-up. I had many misfires and blow throughs due to primers which were set at different depths. Some primers have a curved face and some are flat. Good news is that the firing pin can be adjusted for length it protrudes (should be ~ .060" > .063" and shaped like the nose of a B-17 (Jimmy L.)) Set your loader with one hull / primer that shoots with the gun. I used many Gun Clubs, perhaps part of the primer problem. Federal hull bottoms are thinner and can bow in.

5) The thrust hammer tube limits the amount of cast off you can have in a stock. You can use a rear plate to set stock adjustments if your face doesn't need too much.

6) Ljutic initially intended these to be a less expensive production gun using computerized machining process (rather than hand built).

I now have a One-Touch which has as low recoil as the Dynokic with a better balance and fit (for me). It has a .740" backbore, which may also help.

Good luck, JT

16. old tex

old tex TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
care of ljutic dynakic
dynokic
ljutic dynakic supreme shotgun

ljutic dynokic

ljutic dynokic ejector repair

ljutic dynokick