1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a good O/U for under $1000?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SouthMetro Shooter, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

I currently shoot only Semi-Autos for trap/skeet/sporting and also for hunting. Sometime this year I am looking to add an Over Under to my repitoir. Mainly so i can shoot in the cold Minnesota winters and I simply love shooting them when i get the chance to. Im not going to be buying for a while that is if i even do purchase one. So what are some good new or used O/U (field, trap or sporting models) that usually sell for $1000 or less?

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

No such animal that will take the pounding of a trap gun but you should be able to get a good used 3200 for close to that. 13 to 1500 bucks. John

3. SouthMetro Shooter

Now no one get mad at me for bringing up this gun because i will be on a budget. What are peoples thoughts on the Stoeger Condor Competition 12/20 gauge combo?

4. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

I've seen new Winchester 101's for $1,000 at cdnninvestments.com before and sometimes Cabela's has them on sale for $1,000. Way better than the Stoeger.

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Stoeger is junk. Pick up a used Citori or a Beretta for around $1000.

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Save your money and buy a Browning XT combo for 2,500.00. It will be all the gun you will ever need.

guy babin

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Browning Citori....best bet

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

YOu can find a used Browning Citor for around that. I sold a really nice older Citori Trap for $800 a few years back.

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Citori wins this guys vote. But if you are buying a gun to shoot trap with, do yourself a big favor and buy a trap gun. All of us have been where you are. It is a mistake not to buy a trap gun to shoot trap with and your scores will reflect it. My 2 cents. :)

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Another one to consider, Charles Daily by BC Miroku. A very well put together and reliable O/U.

Surfer

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

A clean SKB Ithaca import trap model can be had for well under $1,000 and if you decide down the road to upgrade to something else, you can sell it for what you paid for it.

12. SouthMetro Shooter

Okay so a Browning or Beretta is the message that im getting from everyone. Like what model of Beretta? Im partial to them because i shoot a 390 sporting now.

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

A use 686 could be found around $1000. So is the Citori. These are the two best guns in $1000~1500 price range.

For field use, Red Label is one good deal around $700.

14. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Beretta launced the Silver Pigeon I late last year but they retail for around 1,500-1,600 if I'm not mistaken. A little less than the White Onyx.

For me, the low profile receiver of the Bereta gives superior balance and more natural site alignment than the Browning but that's personal preference.

If it were me I would look for a lightly used White Onyx or Silver Pigeon 1.

Also agree with the comment above......if you're going to shoot a lot of trap the best thing you can do is buy a trap gun, BT-99 maybe? Then shoot your semi for skeet and sporting clays.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

CZ is now producing a real nice Trap O/U for right around your price point. Looks great!!

16. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Browning gets our vote. Great recommendations above.

Good luck

Bud

17. mag410

mag410 Active Member

If you have the time to be patient, older 680 and 682's show up occasionally for around a $1,000. They are usually not much to look at, but they a dedicated target breaking machines. The 686 field guns should be avoided, they are well built, but too light for most target work. Beretta has made 686 and 687 target guns, but they don't show up much.

An old beat up 682 can be rebuilt to as-new mechanically for under $150

Michael

18. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I would agree that a used Citori is best bet in that range...

Other options..... Might be able to find a Winchester Select Energy still in someones inventory in that range. I know a friend bought one at Sparta last year for $1100.00. Uses Invector plus chokes.

Olliedawg, I played with the CZ Redhead Target this weekend. I agree, you won't find anything better for $1200.00 new.

SW

19. The Stive

The Stive Member

For hunting, I recommend the ruger red lable. I have three of them in 12,20,
    and 28 gauge. They are well built and rugged. They sell for under 1000 used.
    John

20. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I alos like the smaller receiver of the Berettas. I have a SP1 and love it, but I shoot my BT-99 Plus for trap. SC and Skeet with the SP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.