1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a back up gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

I have just recently purchased a well taken care of used Spartan/Bakail/Remington 12Ga that I'm using for all my shooting but I am looking at purchasing a back-up gun to use if my current gun goes down and needs to be repaired.

What would you suggest as a good back up gun that is not a bank account breaker?

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

JD
    Now that was funny.

I have three Baikals I use for Cowboy Action shooting but none have ever failed me. Cheap knock around "tools".

If I had only a Spartan, I would definitely want another gun. If you like it, just get another one as a back up.

If you buy a higher quality gun (and that will not be hard to do) you will never shoot the Spartan.

Don

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have two back up guns. Why, because I like to shoot different guns and have some thing to play with. I keep a 390 with 32" barrel and Soft Touch stock. My friends can shoot it and if I need a lighter recoil, I shoot it. I have a 2nd DT 10 set up exactly like my primary gun, except it has the o/u barrels. It is my doubles gun, but the extra action provides a saftey feature if something were to give out on the unsingle. That has never happened, but I like shooting the o/u on occassion.

JON

4. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Get a 870...you'll never need a backup gun.

5. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Get a 870...you'll never need a backup gun.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

I was thinking of a Stoeger as a good back up. I recently saw one that only has had about 4,000 rounds threw it so its just now getting the stiff out of it and for the price it seems like a sweet deal.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Unless you're shootign doubles, I'd recommend an H&R Topper.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know an H&R Topper with the right adjustable comb and the right adjustable pad and such could be considered a poor mans BT-98.

9. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Lumper, Looks like you are having a good day on the lake. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

10. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

The LUMP confirmed his place in life with his gun purchase. All that BS talk about buying and buys the lowest of the low and expects it will stand up to the use of trap shooting. JDSENIOR and Jeff .... You are right that a back up is usually of lesser quality but both your choices would be, in my humble opinion, of superior quality to the Rucki.

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Tom ... you are correct and I sure will try to break'em all tonight on the skeet fields.

12. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

One backup gun isn't enough. A shooter needs at least six.

13. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

Hipshot has it right, A guy needs as many backup guns as he can get away with... By that I mean as many as he can stuff into the Gun Safe and still tell the little lady (wife) with a straight face, "No it's not new... I've had that one forever"..!!!!

14. oletymer

oletymer Member

Lumper, fishing with bait like you throw out would be illegal.

15. Dave McC

Dave McC TS Member

Everybody should have at least one....

Dave McCracken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.