1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts of Rio shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding Rios. The price is attractive, but how do they perform?

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Good shells use them all the time. My 27 yarder friends are using them as well.

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

They shoot fine. I've been through about 50 flats, and I prefer them over Kemens or Estates, but there isn't a whole lot of difference between them I can see.

The only negative I've ever heard about them, and I'm skeptical about hearsay comments like this, is that Blaser allegedly recommends against using them because of carbon blowback that messes up firing pins. I've never had a perforated primer from either my Perazzi or Blaser yet, so I think this one belongs on the same shelf as the rest of the clubhouse wisdom I've heard over the years.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

One thing I could never understand is that outside of the US, almost every ammo manufacturer uses the kind of primers that are in Rios (UEE). Obviously Krieghoffs, Blasers, Perazzi, ect are shot all over the world, but the primer piercing problem doesn't seem to be an issue anywhere but the US.

I don't understand the ammo mfgs advising against using a certain brand of shell or primer, since outside of the US, it is very likely that shooters will ONLY be able to find a ammo with that primer.

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I was told there are 2 types of firing pins for Krieghoffs. The pins in Europe are different than the ones for US.

Maybe its the difference in shells.

Phil Berkowitz

6. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I have shot over 150 flats total, in three different guns, all with NO problems at all.

I actually prefer these over any others.

Only my 2 cents though !

Dave in SC

7. Rem29

Rem29 Member

Anyone out there experienced with Steel Rio's???

Gary

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

They shoot as well as any similarly priced shell.

I like the hulls. With the RIO primer, they load like the Gold Medal.

Since RIO has a plant in my home state, many gun clubs and shooters use their ammo, which means a nearly unlimited supply of free empties.

They make a dandy Bunker load with bulky powders, and with Unique, a great Caps load.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I liked the Rio's, but my superposed did perforate the primers often.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot a lot of them but the green handicap loads got a little punch to them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

They do kick more than other shells. I shoot the one ounce,1210 fps.
    The one ounce 1280 fps kick more than I am comfortable with.

12. us820

us820 Active Member

They shot fine but I had many 20ga hulls stick in my tubes.Very annoying.

13. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

They are very good shells. One issue is that they do not like cold temps. You will get some off sounding ones when the temp is under 32 degrees. Not an issue this time of the year. I shot 50 flats. Dennis.

14. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Phil Berkowitz - The Euro pins for the Ks are metric. ;-)

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I shot my best ATA 27 yrd score of 98 with them, and several 96-97'S.

The blue lights will smoke a singles target, but I shoot a full choke, most any reliable shell will.

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I like the blue, light Rios. I used to use them for doubles when I didn't want to pick up the hulls. They are better than Gun Clubs and definitely better than Estates, etc. The new formulation (for the past year and a half) has no problem in cold weather, at least down to the low 20s. The only reason I stopped buying them was I couldn't get them anymore.

17. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I have shot approximately 300 flats. I have yet to experience a "dead" shell or a misfire. I have shot them through Kguns, Pguns, Lguns, Seitz, MachOne, and various Rguns & Bguns.

For the money can't be beat.

JMHO

Jim C

18. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Switched to the blue lights about 6 months ago for my AIM team. They work like a charm through a wide variety of guns...autos, sbt's, over/unders, etc. Zero issues after probably 70-80 flats.

19. Racerx

Racerx Member

I shoot the 7/8's #8 at 1200 fps Rio's and there super soft and smashes targets!!!! I shoot every thing with them ! no I'm not a 27 yard shooter but guess what they break them from there also ! Ive been getting these around 60-62.50 per flat.. for factory shells not bad when you look whats out there:( And all you 1 1/8 guys dont kick them until you try a box.. you'll love them .

20. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Rio greens kick like a mule!!! Don't know why moreso than other shells of the same velocity but IMHO they do.