1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts from 1955 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by N. J. BOB, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I'll tell you one thing,if things keep going the way ther are, it's going to be IMPOSSIBLE to buy a week's groceries for $20.00

Have you seen the new cars coming out this year?? It won't be long befor $2,000.00 will only buy a used one.

Did you hear the post office is going to charge a dime just to mail a letter?

When I first started driving, who would have thought GAS would someday cost 29 CENTS a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.

I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possiable to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas.

Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000.00 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.

There is no sense in going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend, it costs nearly $15.00 a night to stay in a hotel.

If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But we still complain about the cost of targets and gas!!!!!!!!

Just enjoy what you can and have fun at it.....

2. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Sure wish I could remember 29 cent gas.

Jere

3. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i can remember 9 cent gas,but i'm 83.

4. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

in high school i worked at a gas station selling reg gas for 29,9 ethyl for 31.9 gas wars 19 cents a gallon.. got your ass chewed royally if you failed to check the oil & wash the windows. customers sat in thier cars paid me & i walked back out & handed their change back to them not the way it is now.!!!!!!! in 1955 my main concern was that the next year i would have to go to kindergarten.. that sure ruined 1955 for me.lol.lol dwain

5. bluehaze

bluehaze Member

I remember once in 1955 there was a gas war in town, Phillips 66 and Conoco were selling it for 16 cents.

Chuck

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I remember going to the 1955 new car show. I fell in love with a red and white bel air hard top v8.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used to pump it at my fathers station 12 cents

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A couple years after that the minimum wage was 1.00 an hour. They raised it to 1.25 in 59 or 60.

Buy a 2 thousand dollar car on that.

HM

9. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

I bought a new Ford Mainliner in 1954, and i think it cost $2400.00

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm at a huge disadvantage..I'm only 42.

But I remember 24.9 cent gas well into the 70s. Dollar movies. Dime full size candy bars.

I worked in a grocery store through high school, and if someone had $100 worth, you needed another bag boy to help you out, because I could only fit EIGHT bags on the carts we had - and $100 worth was often 9 or 10 bags worth.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I wasn't around in 1955 either but it sounds as if they had the same economic concearns then as we do now ... just different numbers. I do remember saying something like 'someday it will cost more than $10 to fill up this gas tank' so evidently I thought ten bucks was a lot of money.

12. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Pumped gas at my Uncles station in the early 60's ($1 an hour out of the till), reg. gas was right around 30 cents a gal. I remember one customer driving a big Caddy, use to pump just under $20 of ethyl and thought, man that's a lot of money for gas.
    My first new car was a 67 Mustang convert. HP289 and loaded, ($3200 out the door). Got married a year later and my wife really complained that we need premium gas at 35 cents, when reg. was about 7 cents cheaper.

13. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I didn't worry about prices in 1955, I was only six years old, not a care in the world...Bill

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I remember my Grandfather driving 10 miles to downtown Omaha in the mid 60's during "gas wars" to get gas at 19.9 cents a gallon.

15. otnot

otnot Active Member

Bob are you bragging how old you are? LOL Someday they will be saying remember when they used to use gasoline and it only cost $10/gallon. Today is just another good old day to someone else. Just keep crushing targets and be happy your alive and able to enjoy life. Just one I remember. I remember when there was less than 100,000 people in Alaska and half of those were natives.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Remember those big silver coin changers the guys wore on their belts to make change?

17. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I remember the "big silver coin changers" very well. My Father operated a Service Station during that time frame, gas was around 13 cents or so a gallon. Dad always had enough change between his chained bill fold and the coin changer to make change. Yes, checked the oil, cleaned the windshield, checked tire pressure, etc. Of course I am 70 years young!! He even had a small grocery line--like bread, sausage (RB Rices), milk, coffee, eggs, etc. He operated the station alone from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. provided for my sister and myself and my mother didn't work.--WOW! how times have changed!!

eak...

18. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Correction: My mother worked but was not employed!! She kept busy with household duties and raising her family.

eak...

19. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

in 55 i was still sucking my thumb and pooping my cloth diapers.i was one year old. they were still checking oil and such in 71 when i got my first car. dwain you old fart i figured with all that hair i was older than you. jackmitch

20. ctargetchamp98

ctargetchamp98 Member

I was made in 1955 at the Drive In, The Creature From The Black Lagoon was playing so I was told. lol Tony W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.