1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Those dirty sandbaggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddbudd, Jun 21, 2013.

1. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

I was looking through the program for the Grand. The list of past champions shows that between 1900 and 1956 the Grand American Hadicap was won 7 times from 19 yards, 4 times from 18 yards, 6 times from 17 yards, and 7 times from 16 yards. Those names should be stripped from the records because they were obvisously sandbagging so they could go to the Grand at short yardage.I guess there has always been some people trying to get some of the big dogs' cake.

Bud

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sandbagging is an art and should be rewarded. HMB

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Yeah. Them som' beeches!!!! HAW-HAW! Some things never change......, eh?

4. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

I never understood sandbagging. Everything I have ever won my whole life was because I tried my best and that makes it so much better.

One time scoring, I had a squad that had a well known sandbagger. When he shot to miss on purpose, I didn't call loss. After a couple of these, he asked if I would please call out LOST louder. I said I have not seen a lost bird yet. He told me he could not possibly have hit that bird. I said, I saw a chip, and if you continue to miss on purpose, I will continue to see chips. He shut up and finished the round.

Eric

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Eric. One of the best stories on ts.com for a long time

Jack

6. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Reddbudd, you obviously never had your best day at a big shoot. To indicate that everyone that goes to the Grand at short yardage is completely ignorant.

SKB-Eric, let me know when you'll be scoring at the Grand. I personally sign up on your squad @ personally tell you in front of everyone I'm a SandBagger. Perfect score right? To me, because you deem anyone a Sandbagger is cheating in itself. You have already made judgement on hear say and stupidity. You have NO idea if the person had medical or eye problems recently corrected. My guess with an attitude like that, you have never scored at the Grand or never will.

We have a local shooter that call everyone a Sandbagger. He can never give anyone credit for shooting well, NEVER! He often complains of having eye problems. This year at our state shoot he shoots a "76" on Friday and on the Championship day he hits a "98" and wins the state title. I shoot very often with this guy in local leagues, he has his good days as well as bad. Altho' I don't like when he passes judgement on others, I commend him for always hanging in there. By the way, I case you ask. Yes he always plays the card, all the options, even on his "76"

7. JACK

shooterman. I don't believe you and you can't prove me wrong. Better you prove your comments

8. JACK

Thousands of 2 yard reduction guys 2 years ago and another 2 yards this year. They began at whatever and many are now in negative territory. (19 and under)
    The ATA sanctioned the bagging. God bless the ATA

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

All we need to see is his ticket from the 76/100 day to prove a point.

Although I don't condone sandbagging I don't believe some shooters should shoot from the 27 over 30 years and never move. Both use the current rules to their advantage!!

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

reddbudd, you will also notice that there was no 27 yard shooters then too, correct?

ollie, I agree with ya about being on the 27 for a lifetime.

GneJ

11. JACK

Andy, you are on target

12. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

Shootrman,

Lighten up. I was being facetious. Haven't you ever heard of the concept of humor?

Bud

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think the GAH should ONLY be shot from maximum yardage..

14. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

Yes Shootrman, lighten up ......... its Friday!

The story I referred to happened many years ago at my local club. We use to compete team against team in a handicap format, much like a bowling league works. The team in question was well known by all, not strangers by any means. They were also known for missing clays at the end of their round to save their handicap average if they knew what score their opponent for that night had shot. And they usually did know as they sat around slopping beers until their opponent shot and turned in their score. Then they would sign up and shoot. It was the equivalent of a good bowler throwing some gutter balls in the 10th frame, once they knew they beat their opponent.

The club no longer uses head to head match-ups. Gave up on that 20 years ago. Now it is just team score high to low and a Lewis Class payout system.

Eric

15. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

BigM, why is that? So the big boys won't get their lunch handed to em by a sandbagging 18 yard shooter?

GneJ

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Check the punches at the Ohio St. shoot on Stuart. Amazing how the 18, 19 and 20 yard shooters are posting 97, 98, and 99's and it's not just one or two but in bunches. You don't see mid yard shooter winning either. You don't have to worry about moving "dogs" back.

The ATA created a whole new batch of baggers the 18 and 19 yd baggers. Notice they have their "day in sun" only at big shoots. They ought to create a new event called "super 16's".

No one should shoot caps from less than 20yds period because then it isn't caps.

The ATA is not going to recover from this farce overnight and it's damage will hurt them greatly.

Don

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Gee, BIGDON and I finally agree on something-excluding the need for more "big dog" yardage which is creating this problem!!

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

70 shooters got punches in the Rio Handicap....1,010 entries.

(23) were 18 - 21 yarders, and (14) were honorary punches for 27 yarders. I don't know how many entries were 27 yarders, but 1/2 the punches went to those yardages.

Would you circle the card with those odds? And we wonder why few play the options.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Setterman:

I don't undertstand. 18-21 yarders, plus 27 yarders comprise about half (5/11) of all the different handicap yardages, so why is it surprising that they, as a group, got about half (37/70) of the punches?

Remember - there are a lot of short yardage shooters, some of whom are fairly experienced and recently got reductions. Or is that your point?

There's no doubt that sandbagging happens a lot, but you can't assume all short yarders who got a punch were sandbagging. Hell, it's probably only half of them, LOL.

-Gary

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Gary, That was my point. In many of the big handicap events, 1/2 the entries are usually 25-27 yarders. Has that changed with the yardage "gift"? Don't know.

If a shooter is trying to work his way back and get yardage, he's competing against the baggers and the established 27 yarders.