1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thompson machine gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I wanted to buy one and make it full auto..legally of course.. I read about the laws until my eyes bled... from what I gathered, one cannot legally take a semi auto of any kind and make it full auto.. do any of you know the law on this? thanks!

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I don't know the exact details of the law. I suggest you go on the ATF website and check. If you get ready to buy, I have a very nice one with the front pistol grip, 50 round drum and 20 round stick mags. I will ship it to you for $1150.00.

JON

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What you read was not 100% correct, a semiauto rifle can be converted to full auto with a registered sear.

4. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

previous poster is correct. You can convert a semi-auto to full with a registered sear. Two problems though. The sears are hideously expensive and once installed they have to be "timed" or the gun won't run correctly in full auto. It is much preferred to buy a factory full auto on the used market since you are registering the receiver and not the sear. That way if that tiny little metal sear probably costing about $10k breaks then you can buy a sear or have one made legally. If you have a registered sear and it breaks...you are out $10k since legally you cannot have it remade as it is serial numbered on the sear.

I have a factory 1960's era Colt Armalite patent AR-15 that is full auto. I bought some backup sears from Brownell's for 10 bucks along with about 25 dollars of other trigger group parts just in case. You could not do that legally if you just have a registered sear gun. If you want it right then suck it up and buy one made from the factory.

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

My understanding is that a 10 cent washer of the right size, will replace the sear and make the gun full auto. It is the law that once a full auto...always a full auto in the eyes of ATF.

JON

6. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

We had a guy at our club convert his rifle to full auto himself. As he and his wife were trying out the gun, he dropped it, it went off, emptied the magazine itself, and killed his wife dead.

Be careful converting guns to full auto.

7. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Does any one know the legalities of selling a non functioning replica of a Thompson, should any one be interested in purchasing one.

I have had it so long, I do not know what the legalities are in selling it.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

Regards,

Dave

8. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Do not mess with the BATF under any circumstances. Make damn sure if you do anything with a Class III firearm that its strictly by the book. They will jack up the corner of the Federal Prison...toss you under...then kick out the jack if you violate any Class III laws. They are VERY serious about this stuff.

The picture below is me (circa 1979...) holding a .25 ACP Thompson replica made by a retired machinist in Florida. He got the plans for the original somewhere and scaled it down into this cute little .25 auto version that really worked. He then called the BATF to see if he needed to "register" this thing. They were at his door the next day and confiscated it and almost arrested the guy. I met the agents at my friends gun shop and asked to have my picture taken holding it. The gun is now in the BATF museum in D.C...

[​IMG]

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If it has been de-milled or cut so that it cannot be made to fire, you don't have to have any special permit or anything to own. You can buy all kinds of these de-milled belt fed tripod machine guns and other machine guns online and order to your door with no FFL. Of course there are a few select areas that even they are not legal.

P.S. Bob above is 100% correct on the BATF. They don't find it ammusing in the least.

Dave---If your gun is a full auto and only has a mechanical problem that can be fixed it is illegal to own or sell without it being registered. If it was made to not fire and cannot be made to fire it is fine. If it was registered before then it needs to be professionally de-milled to be legal to sell as a non-firing gun. That is my understanding from a friend that owns several select fire guns in KY.

Matt

10. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

If you really want a Thompson buy a real one. Or get a Reising M50 or a Smith and Wesson model 76. These weapons can still be had for either side of $5000.00. About the only way you can convert or rewat a gun is to be a class two manufacture.

Go over to Sub guns.com and check out prices. Been a few nice 1928 Thompson selling in the $20.000.00 range lately as well as a few M1 Thompson for around $17.000.00.

I have in my gun collection a mint all matching AO 1928 Thompson that came out of the Washington county court house in Iowa a few years back. And yes it's papered. I also have a AR18 another weapon that is fun to shoot for half the price of a Thompson.

You wont loose money by investing in the good stuff and Thompsons are the good stuff.

11. grntitan

Sons of Guns can convert it for you. {;0) LOL

12. TOOLMAKER 251

Yep don't mess with the BATF, they just tried to setup some dealers in Texas for straw purchases to juan to the tune of over 600 semiauto rifles, 1 of which killed a border patrol agent. They really come down hard on illegal guns.

13. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

There are no full autos manufactured after 1986 that can be bought and taxed by an individual.....I don't see how converting one would be allowed......As that would seem to be a contradiction to the GCA-1986.

You cannot buy a new 2011 full auto.....you have to buy one that was made and registered prior to 1986......There plenty available if you really think you cannot live with out one. What's in your wallet?

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Full autos are okay as long as some one else is buying the ammo. Been there, done that.

15. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Im with Shooting Coach on this one, believe me Full Auto isnt what most people think. Eats Ammo like a Starving Lion, hard to hold onto, lucky if you can hit anything smaller than a garage door(unless your shooting a M60), now a selective 3/9 shot burst now thats a different animal.

16. grntitan

221---Are you meaning no Thompsons made after 1986 or full autos period? I'm just curious as i know there quite a few full autos being made curently that i thought can be purchased and taxed. My statement is sort of a question as well. What about the current manufacture guns that are for sale? Hell i can't own one. Nobody in my State can but i have friends in states that its allowed and i thought they owned guns prior to 1986 manufacture. I'm probably confusing several different subjects is my problem. I thought the Hughes amendment was to nix the 1986 law?? Are the select fires in a different class than full auto? I could be wrong as i have been before. Was just looking at a current manufacture HK21 UBF Shorty Beltfed Machine Gun. It was only $39,999.99 in .308. Hell a man can dream can't he. LOL
    [​IMG]

17. grntitan

So i called my buddy. 221 is spot on when it comes to civilians. My apology. It seems dealers may own/deal in new manufacture full auto/selest fire guns but can only be purchased by Law enforcement and military. My friend is a dealer and as long as he is he may have the current manufacture items which are inventory and listed for sale to again law enforcement and military only as well as other dealers licensed in full auto and select fire guns. It does not prevent him from using them. If he closes his buisness he may legally own or keep ONLY the pre-1986 manufacture machine guns per the law. Once again my mistake my confusion. 221 was/is right. I learned several things.

Matt

18. TOOLMAKER 251

Let me explain this again and take a FN-FNC rifle for example. You purchased it new in 1985 from CDNN for $469.95 and it is a semi automatic cal. 5.56 In 1985 a company had, lets say 250 select fire sears and registered them with the BATF at $200 each. P.S. the sear will fit in your watch pocket. Now in 2005 you sell your FN-FNC for $1,800 and the owner sends his rifle to the holder of the registered sear, and for around $5,000 more the semi auto is legally converted with the registered sear to a select fire class III weapon. And timing the battery lockup is very minor, much easier then building a release for a shotgun.

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

TOOLMAKER 251 , The sear in your example is the machinegun and the tax is paid. Does it still make a difference what year the rifle is manufactured?

20. TOOLMAKER 251

Jerry, I don't have the answer on when the rifle that is to be fitted with a registered sear is made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to build legal thompson smg receiver
thompson gun trap
thompson machine gun forum

thompson machine gun receiver