1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thompson Center flintlock question???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Does anyone know anything about these guns? I just got one and it's in about 95% condition and I think that I may give it a try because I've never taken a deer with a flintlock. What would a ball park value be??

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

don't know about the value, but they are great shooters....very accurate, if it was in my stable, I would hang on to it!!!

tony

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

If it is their original version of the Hawken in flintlock it would be worth somewhere between $250 and $400. I used one of the locks to build a ML shotgun about 30 years ago and it worked pretty well. It doesn't spark as well as many of the more traditional locks put out by people like Siler and others but if you keep your flint knapped (sharp)it will work o.k. BTW, don't fill the pan with powder (do use FFFFg), rather put in about half a pan full and bank it toward the outside of the pan so it will "shoot" the flame into the touchhole, you'll get faster ignition. It will work best with real black powder as Pyrodex and Triple Seven are harder to ignite. I have used pyrodex but put a small bit of black (FFF or FFFFg) down the tube first as a kicker for the pyro.

Follow through on the shot.

Best luck, Stan

(I bought an unfired Hawken percussion version, made in the early 70's last year for $250 at a gun shop....people, unfortunately, don't want traditional guns, just the inlines. Good for you for wanting to give it a try.)

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Cool rifle but it requires you to do everything correctly. The old spark in the pan is a pretty weak ignition system. Stan is correct, real black is the thing to use in the pan and at least part of the charge. Mastering this rifle to the point where you are confident enough to hunt with it will take time but it is fun time. I spent a lot of time getting to know a cap lock Lyman, it was a hoot to hunt with. Worked on a couple elk!

I would guess the rifle's value to be in the $350 range, but I don't really follow this market.

5. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Gunsamerica had a Pennsylvania carbine that sold for $335. Gunbroker has a rifle at $250 with the reserve not met, and a "Buy Now" price of $315.

Just like trap ammunition, some components will give you better performance than others. Range work is required to find the right load.

My Lyman Great Plains rifle likes 85grs of Goex FFg, a .495" ball and an .018" patch. This combination has produced 4 shot groups of 4" at 100 yards with open sights.

Have fun!

Dan

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

If this is a .50 cal, it will have a 1 in 48" twist, a compromise for both round ball and maxi ball. The round ball is about 170 grains and mooves out right smartly with 100 grains of 2Fg and is o.k. for deer...but loses velocity really quickly. I'd suggest the 370 grain maxiball or maxi hunter with 100 gr for a real potent rifle. It will kick. I had great luck with my old TC Hawken in .45 with maxiballs (220 grain) and a Browning Mountain Rifle in .50 with the TC 50 maxis. Use the TC lube and be sure you know where the thing shoots for the first shot from a clean bore as it won't shoot the same place as it did when you sighted it in dirty (even after wiping it out). A good solvent can be made from Lestoil (1 oz), peroxide (2 oz), and soluble oil (1-20 oz) in 16 oz water. Soluble oil is the same stuff they use in water pump lubricant. Some people use windex diluted.

If you hunt with it, clean it with alcohol (bore, touchhole), load and then put a toothpick or something in the touchhole til you're ready to prime and hunt. Keeps moisture out of the chamber...flinters are open to the elements whereas percussions have the cap to seal the back end.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I am glad someone mentioned plugging the touch hole. If filled with powder, it will "wick" and have a lag time almost like a hang fire.

Put the FFFF toward the outside of the pan, as mentioned. These are real fun, and will teach you to stay in the gun! LOL

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Flinchlocks you mean !

They are a whole art in themselves

Read, and look at websites on them. I am learning to knapp and get reliable ignition but "Remington Roulette" teaches follow through.

Chamber flintlocks, Track of the Wolf, Dixie guns...lots of places out there

regards bruce

9. kenf

kenf Active Member

Joe,

I just picked up a 95%+ 50 Cal Hawken for $400- 300-400 is a good ball park. There were three in the Sunday paper that all sold for $300- no telling what shape they were in though. The Renegade TC bring a little less (plainer).

New dealer cost on a Hawken Flintlock is $550.

+1 for you for trying this out. I am in the same boat.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are tc hawken locks and lyman gpr locks the same

lyman flintlock vs thompson center

lyman vs tc flintlock

thompson center hawken flintlock weak spark