1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thompson Center Encore Shotgun Experience?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by srk147, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk147

srk147 TS Member

I already have an Encore frame with a 223 barrel and like it very much, feels very well balanced for me and shoots 1/2 inch groups.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with an Encore with shotgun barrels? I am just getting into trap shooting for the first time and was thinking of getting a 12 or 20 gauge for trap shooting.

Any thoughts?

Scott

2. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Scott, I'd think if it fits you well and if you can get its weight up to 8-9 pounds it should work OK for awhile. The big factor without a large weight increase will be the recoil. Peak recoil force roughly equates to "Power Factor" of bullet weight in grains times velocity in fps. A .223 has about the power factor of a .38 Super or .40 S&W handgun, which is maybe 1/2-1/3 the power of a 20 GA shotgun (the 20-GA approximates a light .45-70 load in recoil.) It'll work, but long term I'd suspect it'd keep you from shooting well? Phil E

3. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

I have an Encore with 3 different barrels. One of which is a rifled 12 ga. barrel that will shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards with the right slug combo. To put a 12 ga. vet rib barrel on, for shooting trap would not be a smart move. Recoil has already been addressed, but between the short frame and the short barrels offered from TC, the sighting plane distance would be remain an issue. This stock and barrel combo would also represent a low POI shooter, based on the field height flat rib, and a non-adjustable comb.

Not saying our Encores are poor guns, just saying a poor choice for competitive trapshooting. Maybe the TC people would design and manufacture an adequate target trap barrel for you, and you could have an adjustable comb installed on a wood stock. Interesting, who knows. Release trigger?

Maltzie

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i have an encore 12 gauge slug gun. WOW, you better hold on with two hands and both feet before you pull the trigger. you talk about recoil.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i've been toying with the idea of building one of these into a trap gun. The stock is pretty much ideal dimensions for trap anyways. The trigger is adjustable (I believe) as well. Have a 34" to 36" barrel built for it (if your having it built anyways, make it heavy), throw whatever rib you wanted to on it, but a RAD on it to balance it out and take the recoil out, and you have a target pounding machine for about a grand to 1500 (assuming you buy the action used). Assuming there about 6.5 lbs to start w/, you should be able to add a half lb w/ a heavy/long barrel, another half lb w/ the RAD, throw some lead in the stock hole, and a barrel weight if need be on (or use epoxy and lead to weight the forend), and its not too much of a reach to make it weigh 9 to 9.5 lbs. Only drawback is the exposed hammer, which, if it would never be anymore than a fun-gun as it would for me, would be easy to get over. Now don't try and tell me you can buy a BT99 for a grand,,,that takes all the fun out of the project. Nothing worth doing is usually cheap. You can get most of the features of the high end SBT guns, but at 1/5 the price, and get to choose your own weight, balance, barrel setup, rib setup, POI, stock setup, ect, something even some of the high end guns down offer. BTW, making a custom barrel for one of these would be a piece of cake for someone w/ a mill, welder, and depending on the blank your going to use, a lathe. All you'd have to do is cut the bit of steel thats welded to the bottom of the barrel, weld it on, mill for the extractor, and shoot it. The barrel is its own monoblock anyways.

6. redjones

redjones Member

Does anyone know where i can find someone that can make a 34"-36" barrel for a t/c.

Thanks.....Greg

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why not get an extra wood stock and and install an adjustable buttplate on it that has a hydraulic recoil absorbing mechanism?

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

greg- if you find someone, please post the info here. I asked TC, and a couple companies that make custom barrels for them, and they have absolutely no interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
12 gauge encore

thompson center 12 gauge trap gun

thompson center encore barrels 12 skeet
thompson center trap gun