1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thompson center Encore Accuracy???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Savage99Stan, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Have had a half dozen contenders/g2 contenders in both handgun and rifle/carbine configuration as well as a pile of the TC muzzle loaders. Never had one that wouldn't shoot...you may have to do a little load development but they all (TC) have good barrels. Right now I'm using a Contender carbine in .223 for coyote and with 55gr hollowpoints and the right charge of powder it stays under an inch (if I do my part). Also have a G2 carbine with the 50 X 209 muzzle loader barrel and a 45-70 barrel and both shoot well. My only complaint about TC is their QLA feature which is a small length of freebore at the muzzle on the front stuffers. I have an old Cherokee and Hawken without it as well as the G2 and the Big Boar Renegade with it and the groups from the barrels rifled to the end are always better for me than for the relieved ones. I guess it is to ease the loading process. THank goodness they don't have it on the cartridge guns. I wouldn't be afraid to buy an Encore and would count on fine accuracy. If you get the big calibers, they will kick. My 45-70 in the G2 carbine is a thumper with any kind of decent load.
    best luck.
    Stan

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My pal's dog gun regalia includes an Encore in .204. He shoots dogs as far as I do with my bolt guns, no problem. the only downside is the break action when sitting at a bench, but he has the moves worked out.

HM

3. Robb

Robb Member

I helped a neighbor sight an Encore in the other day. Black Powder and I think 50 cal using 45 cal plastic tip bullet in sabot. I'm not positive on caliber but that's not the question. When seating the bullet with the ramrod it would seem like he is destroying the plastic tip. He didn't shoot enough to give group size. What he saw was good enough for him but I thought the gun should do better.

So, do you use different ramrods for plastic tipped bullets or just pound them in like a lead ball? I wish I could see one after it was seated but that's not possible.

I have almost no experience with black powder. Comments?

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Just ordered another barrel for my G2 in 17 Fireball. Have not found anything else that shoots as well as a Contender/Encore with a custom barrel, unless you spend BIG bucks!

AndyH

5. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

i have one in 358 win, from their custom shop, this one will shoot under and inch all day long. nand the 50. cal muzzleloader is no slouch either, groups of an inch a 50 yds with open sights are common
    jc

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

The one I have in 7mm-08 and the 209-50ML shoot ok but I had to wok a lot of loads and bullet weights to get it to group. Most that I have talked to have run into the same thing. The 7mm-08 in two bsrrels a reg 22in and a 24in ss would not do a good group with anything but Federal ammo. It also is a problem for a quick second shot with a scope. rick

7. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Robb, They make a Ram Rod end for plpolymer tip bullets. It is short so you leave it on all the time. Also you may need to modify your stort starter so it doed not damage the bullet tip or but one with a tip made for SST style bullets.

8. Robb

Robb Member

xp100, Thanks, I thought he must be ruining the tip but did not see it for sure. I'll pass along to him the info on ram rod end.

9. swipoff

swipoff TS Member

I have a few of the kits left over that includes the differnt tips for differnt bullets for 10 shipped
    Thank you
    Justin

10. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

They shoot the best one shot groups I've ever seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
encore accuracy
encore accuracy barrels
getting the encore 7mm-08 to group
tc encore accuracy
thompson center encore 7mm 08 accuracy

thompson center encore accuracy

thompson encore forums
tompson encore accuracy expectations