1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thomas Jefferson smartest president ever ??

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by OLD ONE EYE, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

THOMAS JEFFERSON At 5, began studying under his cousins tutor.

At 9, studied Latin, Greek and French.

At 14, studied classical literature and additional languages.

At 16, entered the College of William and Mary.

At 19, studied Law for 5 years starting under George Wythe.

At 23, started his own law practice.

At 25, was elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses.

At 31, wrote the widely circulated "Summary View of the Rights of British America " and retired from his law practice.

At 32, was a Delegate to the Second Continental Congress.

At 33, wrote the Declaration of Independence ..

At 33, took three years to revise Virginia ’s legal code and wrote a Public Education bill and a statute for Religious Freedom.

At 36, was elected the second Governor of Virginia succeeding Patrick Henry.

At 40, served in Congress for two years.

At 41, was the American minister to France and negotiated commercial treaties with European nations along with Ben
    Franklin and John Adams.

At 46, served as the first Secretary of State under George Washington.

At 53, served as Vice President and was elected president of the American Philosophical Society.

At 55, drafted the Kentucky Resolutions and became the active head of Republican Party.

At 57, was elected the third president of the United States ..

At 60, obtained the Louisiana Purchase doubling the nation’s size.

At 61, was elected to a second term as President.

At 65, retired to Monticello ..

At 80, helped President Monroe shape the Monroe Doctrine.

At 81, almost single-handedly created the University of Virginia and served as its first president.

At 83, died on the 50th anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of Independence .

John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the white House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. He made this statement: "This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe .
    Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
    Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive
    the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

I wish we could get this out to everyone!!!

I'm doing my part. Please do yours

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Certainly one of the most gifted thinkers in the last 500 years.

I like his quote about happiness of the American people as long as government is not in operating in the pretense of taking care of then.

That certainly is lost on most Americans today.

Quite a profound prediction.

All people of his age were a lot smarter than we are today.

They stuided science, arts, language, music and read.

They did not have TV, recorded music, movies, computers/Internet.

Plays, concerts, parties and politics were their main distractions after a 12 hour or more, 6 day HARD work week.

3. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

He very well could have been when we are talking intellect. There is a distinct difference between intelligence and being so-called smart.

Jefferson may have had an average IQ, but he certainly studied and learned and then put the book work into practical applications. If you've never been to Monticello, you should make the trip. I spent an entire day there once - a fascinating fellow....Cya

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Old One Eye - TJ was a terrible president, and as V-P almost single-handed started petty partisan politics in the USA. He borrowed money like a drunk sailor, lived high on the hog, and cared not a wit for who loaned him money. Few ever received the money back.

Jimmy Carter was smart too. So was Woodrow Wilson. All bad presidents.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My first cousin, 7th removed.

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

no matter what you think. What he said is true for today. Bill

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Not sure about who was the smartest, but gotta a pretty good idea who's on the other end of the spectrum.

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Mrs. Keet is jealous because she's not a great person like Jefferson so she has to try to knock him down in the mistaken belief that it will elevate her. Didn't work.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I would vote for George Washington as the best president ever. He was an intelligent and dedicated public servant. He amazed the world when he refused to be named king and set the standard in the United States of transfer of power via an electoral process.

All our presidents are human and have human faults, some more so than others. We may not like the current incumbent of any age but we have the opportunity to elect a different president every four years.

If you are in the Washington, DC area, visit Mount Vernon, Washington's home, and sit on the back porch which overlooks a grassy area that leads down to a dock on the Potomac River. It is a grand experience.

George Washington, as did the other founding fathers, risked his life and property and gave up a lot to lead the Continental army. While at Mount Vernon, also visit the English garden, the distillery, the 16 sided barn and the plantation itself. The Mount Vernon inn, Martha’s home, serves a fine meal. Reservations are advised.

Ed Ward

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

B12 - What did he say?

11. Rick Barker

In his obvious distain for anything right of center and attempts to irritate conservatives, I would say to this person, and any of his kind, keep in mind people who founded this country were considered the progressive liberals of their day.

They wanted separate themselves from the old thought conservatism (king and England) and set up a system where all men are equal.

Now the founding fathers are old world consevatives in our time.

Perhaps when we are all dust, 200 years from now, kids will be taught to diispise old right wing conservatives like Barrack O'Bama, the first black,Irish President of the U.S., Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck U. Schumer.

Will she give them a homework assignment to write a paper to how the the Beloved Leader and Chairman and made thieir lives better, and to remind them to report any talk they overhear from parents and relatives about "they good old days of freedom?"

Perhaps I am wrong and they will be asked to do a paper about the prohpet instead?

12. porky

porky TS Member

Rick, I just have one correction, obama was the first illegal Kenyan born, Arab/black president. Maybe you wrote with a tongue in cheek thought about him.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Barker - You need to study history. TJ was hardly center-right. He was about as far left as there was among the Founding Fathers. So Barker, what parts of the Constitution did TJ write?

14. Rick Barker

MrSkeetIgetitallwrongallthetime.

What the hell are you talking about?

I said the he and other founding fathers were progressive Liberals of their time. Now 200 years later, he is the darling of the conservatives. You regarded him as one of the worst presidents, so you must agree with me, being as you hate anything conservative.

I did not say TJ wrote the Contitution. Where in the hell did you get that?

He wrote the Declaration of Independence.

You must have a reading comprehension problem, or you are confusing me with someone who gives a crap what is on your tiny little mind. Your really becoming tiresome. A person cannot have a debate with someone like you who acts like some little kid.

git-r-done
    Don't you remember when he went to Ireland a few months back, looking for his ancester and the press making a big deal about it?

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Interesting guy, but a terrible president. Caused a recession all by himself.

He didn't write the Declaration of Independence. He was part of a three man committee that wrote it. The ideas had been around for a while. Much of the more elegant came from Benjamin Franklin.

Did I mention he didn't pay he debts?

16. mallardbend

mallardbend TS Member

If you like Thomas Jefferson, you should read "Mr. Jefferson and the Giant Moose: Natural History in Early America". A fantastic book and a testament to the intelligence of this man.

17. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Check out the above url. Kinda interesting for those who insist on equating success with I.Q.

I like this answer about Jefferson's I.Q. -

Question: What was Thomas Jefferson's I.Q.?

Answer: About the equivalent of our whole senate today.

Kiv

18. Rick Barker

Messiest.

Try as you might, you are not going to elevate losers like Clinton, Carter or Obama, by tearing down the accomplishments of Jefferson.

None of the wrote books worth reading and won't be read 200 years from now.

He owned slaves, yes we know that, be his ownership of black slaves was not as harsh as the slavery the Left hs them in now.

He did now use class warfare in dealing with members of the opposition.

What philosophy in the matter of freedom will Clinton, Carter, Obama, Durdin or Shumer be known for now or 200 years from now.

TJ was speaking 3 languages by the age of 9. Your superheros cannot speak understandable English in their adult years.

When they are dead 200 years from now, do you really think anyone will remember them, be inspired by them?

What about you what have you done that will be remember after your gone? Oh, yeah volumes will be written about you and how you impressed people by trashing Jefferson.

19. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Rick Barker:

My understanding of the conservatives of the 17th and 18th centuries is that they favored the retention of a monarchy, i.e., a king and a system of peerage. The liberals of the American Revolution, in their wisdom, wrote a constitution devoid of royalty and any form of inherited title. The United States does not have any type of king, queen, earl, duke, etc.

We are a nation of elected officials.

Ed Ward

20. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

The earliest date I see for an IQ test is 1904. I don't think Jefferson ever took one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
thomas jefferson smartest president
was thomas jefferson intelligent

was thomas jefferson the smartest president

what president said tomas jefferson is the smartest president