1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This years Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Porter, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Well everybody will start talking shortly about how the Grand will never be the same and attendance will be off because of every concieavable reason.
    I just got off the phone to make reservations at a hotel twenty miles away and got the LAST THREE ROOMS for the first three days.
    Looks like somebody's coming!

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

A total of 4% of the U.S. population is unemployed which does not nor will not impact the trapshooting community as a whole. Things like excessively high gas, shells, food and lodging will dictate how many attend the Grand.

Curt

3. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

It will be packed. Wall to wall shooters. National Guard will need to be called to help feed the masses. FEMA will send mobile homes and provisions for two + weeks. The temperatures will linger in the mid 70's.

Obama will show up and win the handicap and Doubles, but edged out in singles by a Ky shooter with Rooster connections.

Or Not

Rock

Jim

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Just can't accept it can you????

Don

5. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Sort of like the President I accept him but don't like him. And no amount of "he is all we have" will make me like him.

It is a crap sandwich when it is all you have to eat.

Rock

Jim

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I can tell you right now that Grand attendance will be down. Considering that the SCTP is moving their nationals from the week before the Grand, they are getting rid of a lot of youth shooters who attend the Grand. Youth shooters such as me will not be able to attend because we aren't going to drive to Sparta twice to shoot. Until I heard about this, I was planning on shooting the first couple of days of the Grand after the SCTP nationals just like I did last year. But now that's not going to happen. JMO, Josh.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Last year it was purportedly down because of the price of gasoline and shot. Not, these prices are low. Does that mean attendance will be up this year or will many fabricate other reasons why they will not attend?

It would be refreshing for some shooters simply to say "I am going because I want to go" and others state "At least this year, I don't want to go to the Grand".

Pat Ireland

8. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Pat, still have 5 months to run up the price of oil. Any bets?

9. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Went last year for the first time since 1999 and I am going back I may be part of the 4% unemployed but I will find a way to go, some guys I have shot with all my life want to go and think this could be their last chance so I am taking them . I am 42 and will be the Kid. Life is to short to worry about the small stuff .

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The attendance has fallen off every year since it moved to Sparta, why would this year be any different ..? People have found that other shoots can fill their need for the bigger shoots and they choose to attend those and not have to be put out to do so ... The economy can't help anything but is not the only thing to blame ... People I have talked to say "Its just not the same" and they use that reasoning to avoid going ... Build it and they will come does not apply anymore ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Here we go again. I have never seen such a small group that wants something to fail so bad that they trash it at every opportunity. Who gives a crap what you think, you don't want to shoot there and you don't shoot there so what. Give the subject a break. The 1,000's that go obviously think it is OK.

Don

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You guys do whatever you want but I'm going!

13. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I am going. I don't care if gas is $8 a gallon and shells are $150 a flat, not rich by any stretch, but I work too hard the rest of the year to sit home and whine about it costing too much to go.

One more thing, if it ever moves back to Ohio I am going then too. Just like I did for 20+ years before Sparta. You can not win a Grand trophy anywhere but the Grand. Any other shoot is just another shoot.

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

"Small group" ??? hehe

15. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Unless something comes up to prevent my attendance, I will be going back for my 4th Grand at Sparta. I wish I had watched a few of Leo and Foster's record shootoff.

Charlie

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Lat year was my first Grand. We flew in for a couple of days because my friend Gary won ATA Volunteer of the Year. Had a great time at a truly awesome facility. If you can, go.

17. RAScott

RAScott Member

went the first time last year had a great time brought a camper and stayed there they had music and parties every other nite good time. This aint no dress rehersal. Bob S

18. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Last year was my first one. I loved it will be there again this year, if I'm still breathing. J.Woolsey

19. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Travelled all the way from Australia last year, first time at Sparta, have been to Vandalia 10 times in the past.

Enjoyed Sparta that much I am just organising this years trip, even with our dollar being down to 63 cents to every US dollar, still money well spent as far as I am concerned.

Iowa State first then a little R & R in Vegas before the whole Grand, cost about $25-$30,000 Aussie for the wife and I (we both shoot) but then memories and friends outway cost any day.

Life is for the living.

Yours in sport.

Release Trigger..............

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

People would have to think that with the attendance dropping off on a yearly basis that the ATA would want try to find out why, the most logical way would be to ask the shooters who do not attend and see what is the cause and or causes ... I would say this would at least be a progressive move to try and increase attendance rather than let it continue to slip ... The people who attend obviously find reason to do so and thats great for them, but they are a minority like it or not ... There are many many shooters who used to attend and have found reason not to which is or should be the cause for concern ... There are those who could care less who goes or don't go much like myself but the EC and BOD have a reason to wonder about other shooters and so they can then create an incentive to get better turn outs before it to late and its no longer worth the time ... The economy can't help anything but its been dropping off before the economy went south and there has to be a reason ... Some people might not attend because of some others that do and they know who they are I'm sure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.