1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THIS TIME OF YEAR, HARD 7 1/2'S FOR EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

THIS TIME OF YEAR, HARD 7 1/2

HELLO:
    I live in wisconsin, as of november 1, i switch to hard 7 1/2's for 16 yd, hdp, doubles. if i shoot skeet, i will drop down to hard 8's. with targets sitting in cold trap houses, they are usually frozean, reason for the larger shot. in cold weather i have seen 16 yd targets hit with hard 8's, and the target actually moves off course, unbroken.

i have heard stories of shooters using 9's, 8 1/2's, 8's for 16 yd, using 8's for handicap etc. in cold wheather, 7 1/2's is the way to go. infact, i will say, if you are long yardage, 25 to 27 yards, i would use hard 7 1/2's for handicap. yes, i have heard shooters say they use hard 8's from these yardages. yes, you can still hit targets, but i do believe you scores over the long hall will go up using hard 7 1/2's.

in winter we have 30 bird shoots in this area. we shoot 15 from 16 yd, 15 from 24 yd handicap. the colder it gets, i am willing to bet the size shot gets larger. Vic reinders told me years ago that when he first started shooting size 7 shot was legal. remember, there is a reason there are rules not to use anything larger than size 7 1/2 shot. so if your shooting in cold weather climate, you just might want to change to hard 7 1/2's. now lets hear all the stories of shooting great scores with hard 8's in cold weather. yes it can be done, but over the long hall, your scores will rise with hard 7 1/2's in a cold climate.
    steve balistreri

2. senior smoke

Sarge:
    i will tell you a secret. don't tell anyone. in money shoots in winter, i use 9's, 4's and 5's.
    steve

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

This is a fallacy that a lot of shooters have fallen for over the years: shoot 7 1/2's in colder weather. The absolute reverse is true. If #10 shot was legal I'd shoot that, but #9 is a small as I can go.

With winter comes colder weather. the air molecules are moving slower and not bumping into each other, and therefore those molecules are closer together and the air is more dense.
    With the air molecules being closer together, there is less room between the molecules for the the shot to travel. The larger shot is too big to squeeze through the molecules. It's like a fat person trying to walk through a narrow doorway.
    With the smaller shot, the pellets have an easier time getting through the molecules and reaching the target. Also, since there are more of them, there's a better chance of more pellets reaching the target.
    So #9 shot is definitely the way to go, especially from longer yardage where there are more air molecules to get past.

4. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Steve I scanned that last post, and my meter here went right into the red zone so I thought I'd better let you know right away! .....Rick

[​IMG]

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Rick,

Shhhhhhhhh. That's well written enough to get some believers.

Dickg',

Nice cast! The presentation could use a little work. I'd suggest a session with tron to polish up the edges.

ss

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Steve- You stated that the targets are usually frozen in Wisconsin during the winter. Frozen means that they have changed from a liquid to a solid. This happens at around 150 degrees F. So your targets are frozen during the Summer also. When pitch becomes cold, it will harden a bit and become very brittle. Smaller shot should be effective with a brittle target.

Cold temperatures will increase air density and heaver shot will pass through dense air with less deceleration. Using larger shot in the Winter could be a good idea, but not because the targets are frozen.

Pat Ireland

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If it's cold enough 8's won't break a target I'm stayin my azz home.

8. letts

letts TS Member

I have always felt that frozen shot made for darker smoke. I thought it hit harder that way. Maybe because it slides through the denser air better.

Letts

9. senior smoke

Sarge:
    i will tell you a secret. don't tell anyone. in money shoots in winter, i use 9's, 4's and 5's.
    steve

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

This is a fallacy that a lot of shooters have fallen for over the years: shoot 7 1/2's in colder weather. The absolute reverse is true. If #10 shot was legal I'd shoot that, but #9 is a small as I can go.

With winter comes colder weather. the air molecules are moving slower and not bumping into each other, and therefore those molecules are closer together and the air is more dense.
    With the air molecules being closer together, there is less room between the molecules for the the shot to travel. The larger shot is too big to squeeze through the molecules. It's like a fat person trying to walk through a narrow doorway.
    With the smaller shot, the pellets have an easier time getting through the molecules and reaching the target. Also, since there are more of them, there's a better chance of more pellets reaching the target.
    So #9 shot is definitely the way to go, especially from longer yardage where there are more air molecules to get past.

11. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Steve I scanned that last post, and my meter here went right into the red zone so I thought I'd better let you know right away! .....Rick

[​IMG]

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Rick,

Shhhhhhhhh. That's well written enough to get some believers.

Dickg',

Nice cast! The presentation could use a little work. I'd suggest a session with tron to polish up the edges.

ss

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Steve- You stated that the targets are usually frozen in Wisconsin during the winter. Frozen means that they have changed from a liquid to a solid. This happens at around 150 degrees F. So your targets are frozen during the Summer also. When pitch becomes cold, it will harden a bit and become very brittle. Smaller shot should be effective with a brittle target.

Cold temperatures will increase air density and heaver shot will pass through dense air with less deceleration. Using larger shot in the Winter could be a good idea, but not because the targets are frozen.

Pat Ireland

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If it's cold enough 8's won't break a target I'm stayin my azz home.

15. letts

letts TS Member

I have always felt that frozen shot made for darker smoke. I thought it hit harder that way. Maybe because it slides through the denser air better.

Letts

16. senior smoke

i just received some calls from my shooting friends here in wisconsin. they would love to shoot a money shoot in january here, they will use hard 7 1/2's, and all the nay sayers use hard 9's. what a joke!
    steve balistreri

17. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Smoke, you're followers here want to know what Luthur shoots in the winter.

18. ink ball

ink ball Member

My time frame for using hard 7 1/2's a bit wider...From Jan 1st thru Dec 31st.... :)

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Steve, I'm with ya man. Bill

20. senior smoke

the great luther ward sits in the woods hunting deer from morning to night. a wealthy friend of ours before he passed away built luther a small house in the woods so luther and his fatso son gary, and oldest son harold could hunt without going back home each day so they could hunt more. all three of them shoot anything that moves this time of year. they live on pork n beans all during hunting season. one time i stoped to visit, i almost passed out when they opened the door.
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.