1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This shotgun is on my wish list....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "Coyote Cap" Special Edition Model 1887wcs-18<br>
    <br>
    "wcse" stands for Walnut stocks, Choke tubes, Special Edition, with 18" barrel

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter

Now Brian, that's weird.

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

Really nice Chinese junk.

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

A local gunshop had an old Winchester like this for sale recently. If you are interested, I could check on it for you....I need to go over there anyway because they have a gun of mine on consignment. (Drop the 7s, 8s, and put in the @ sign for email) Best Regards, Ed

5. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Go for something far rarer. The shotgun you show is a Chinese copy of the 1887/1901 (it's far closer to a 1901 reengineered back to 12 gauge than a true 1887), and the Coyote Cap version has a particularly short LOP - around 12 3/4" or so. They're making a bunch of them in several different versions including the Coyote Cap one.

However, Australian Defense Industries was, at some time in the not too distant past, trying out their own version - also a 1901 shrunk back to 12 gauge. This was, as I understand it, an investigation of a way around some of the Australian laws which did not control lever action shotguns as strictly as they did other repeaters.

Anyway, ADI made (I'm told) 50 of them before abandoning the project. Much the same as the Chinese guns, but made in the free world. At least two of them reached this country and were sold through the Lehi Cabela's - one to someone who dropped in, and the other sits in my safe. It's an interesting piece - I actually shot a 19 on the skeet range (gasp!) with it, and that included three smokestacks where I was waiting for the trigger to reset on the second barrel before remembering - too late - that I had to work the lever for the second shot. That was my second box through the gun. It got some interesting looks at the club when sitting in the rack with the lever open.

Now I just use it for cowboy shooting.

Tony

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Well-Known Member

Neil,

I have to ask... Why? Wouldn't it be more sporting to beat snakes to death with a 7-iron?

Rollin

7. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Primarily for Cowboy Action shooting. That has spurred the resurgence of the Single Action Army pistols, the reproductions of several others including the S&W Schofield, the S&W #3 Russian, the Remington 1875 and 1890 and the Merwin and Hulbert. It's also been responsible for the Chinese reproduction of the Winchester 97 shotgun, the increase in Brazilian production of the Winchester 1892 and the Italian reproductions of the Henry, the Winchester 66, 73 and the takedown '92. Oh, and the numerous reproductions of the Colt Lightning rifle. Just to name the ones that come to mind.

Tony

8. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Real men would find one of the originals in 10ga.

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Problem #1 The old Winchester Lever Shotguns are rare and hard to find. Problem #2 Some of them were NOT made for smokeless powder and are unsafe to shoot with modern ammo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

coyote cap 87 special edition 12 gauge