1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THIS SCARED ME, BIG TIME!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    last year i was at a local gun club around dusk. i'm on a practice 16 yd squad and the guy to the left of me has some real wierd sounded shells. i am left handed, so i am looking at every shot that he takes. not only are his shells sounding wierd, he has roughly 3 feet of flash coming out of his barrel. i stop the squad and asked him what is going on? he said he was low on gun powder and he mixed around 3 or 4 powders together so he could shoot. i asked him if he was serious? he said "powder is powder". i asked him how much he was droping of this special concoction of his, and he said a 30 bushing in a mec reloader. i said what is the weight being droped? he said he didn't have a scale. i tried to explain to the guy, not only was he possibly going to hurt himself but the other shooters, and the puller. i scratched from the squad and told the manager. manager went out to talk to him and his buddies, and the squad left. have any of you ever heard or seen something dangerous like this?
    steve balistreri

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Yep, it was in a MAC Flyer safety bullitin back in the late 70s. Same kind of idiocy on that time it cost a man his eyesight and the use of his left arm. Some guys are stupid beyond all imagination. I suspect these are the idiots for whom the warning on hand-held hairdries is pasted. You know the one, it says "do not use in the shower".

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Crap, I'm a rotten typist. Hair driers .....ugh!

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

The worst thing i have seen since starting shooting in january was a few people walking outside the boundry of one field picking up empty hulls while other are shooting on the ajacent field,kinda scary when you see someone where they are not supposed to be. im talking skeet too,not trap.

bill

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

When Promo first came out everyone was told to use it the same as Red Dot. Some of the "no scale" shooters used the same bushing, that was listed for Red Dot and because the powder was cheaper they went for the max load. We had a family of three on the line shooting doubles, looked like the Fourth of July until I stopped them. They got mad and left.

6. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I recall an episode when I started shooting, back at the dawn of recorded history.........1969/70 ;)

A lot of the "old guys" back then were used to reloading paper shells with fiber and cardboard wads and were still "getting used to" the then new AA, power Piston etc. plastic wads.

They never bothered to change the bars from 1960 that they used for the paper shells and related wads which called for much higher loads of the Red Dot that they used. They also would shoot nothing under "3 Dram".

The result when they stuffed that volume of Red Dot in an plastic shell with a plastic wad was a load that was "too stiff", maybe not quite a proof load, but not good.

I was a teenage kid, so there was no talking to them about this. (now I'm a 55 year old trap chairman, they would change loads or play somewhere else).

One guy had a Win M50 trap gun. Ecery few years he would replace the slip chamber.

This was because pieces of the forward part of it would be GONE. These broken metal pieces had to exit the muzzle when they fractured, I guess.

There are some parts of the "good ol' days" I don't miss.

7. senior smoke

rem870tb- i remember those days too!
    steve balistreri

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Even the person who believes they are perfectly safe can inadvertantly do stupid things.

Maybe 3-4 years ago... on any given day you could find me hauling around a shotgun in sock zipped up in case in the back of my SUV. I never had any qualms, the gun was ALWAYS unloaded - I made it point to double check before the sock went on.

One day at the Club, I unzip the gun case, pull down the sock, and break open the gun as usual to put in into the rack - and son of gun - there was a live shell in the chamber. It sent a shiver down my spine. Now I have no idea how that happened...

I crack a gun to put my Tico Tool or BoreSnake down the barrel, usually give a shot of RemOil into the chamber, but something happened the previous shooting day which diverted my attention, now I triple check everything...

Stupid things are done by otherwise smart people.

Jay

9. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

An old friend was given at Lee Loader many years ago. The one with the little dippers for powder & shot? He shot nothing but a DB Stevens 16 ga. at that time. When it came to putting in the powder, he would use the adjustable shot dipper and just put in what he thought was enough "and just a little bit more". He NEVER weighed ANY of his loads.

All I can say is that Stevens must have made one hell of a double barrel shotgun 'cause he never blew it up. And, he's still around and still hunts. He DOES NOT reload anymore though. I told him I wouldn't hunt with him if he did!

Erol Tucker - The Bayrat
    POC, TX

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I had a son pulling for a squad like that. I pulled my son off the field. Shooter was pissed. We walked away. I don't remember how management handled it after that.

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Zara....please explain.....

My favorite is "kick-starting" an 1100 with a live shell in the chamber."????

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

There is guy who frequents gun shows and buys odd lots of powder cheap.

He mixes them up and loads with it. I thought he was joking but he is not! Hard to believe this kind of stuff happens.

He offered a few boxes of shells to me and I politely told him I do not shoot other peoples reloads in any of my guns.

I will not shoot with him.

Don

13. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I remember seeing guys doing the "kick start". That's why engineers went to great lengths to develop "resizers" on loaders just to help those guys out.

Mike

14. spritc

spritc Active Member

We had a guy show-up for a games shoot and was throwing fire balls and someone asked what he was shooting and he said "rainbow" a mix of red dot, blue dot and green dot. This same guy used toilet paper for wads until his girlfriend had some stick in her auto. He was asked not to return to several clubs.

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I went to a farm auction where they had a lot of gun stuff including a Red Dot can and a Green Dot can. Both cans were darn near full when I opened them up to smell the powder. But guess what? Neither can had the right powder in it and noe of it was Red Dot or Green Dot. I told the auctioneer and he was good enough to make it very clear what the contents were NOT.

16. senior smoke

it is simply amazing that we have not had more accidents.
    steve balistreri

17. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I went to pick my brother-in-law up to go dove hunting. He just finished reloadig a bunch of shell in a Mec 600. I helped him box his shells up and noticed they felt funny. Cut one open and how he did it I don't know but he got the bar reversed. He was shooting an old Mdl 11 Remington and I imagin it probably would have come apart.
    Dan

18. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I have reloaded for years.. always weighed everything etc etc. Now my daughter shoots 4-H. To shoot reloads in practice and shooting events we had to go thru an extensive reloading course. 4-H issued a reloading card to both of us, mine is an instructor certificate. If we shoot reloads the shoot management usually ask who is shooting reloads. At the State 4-H we have to bring our reloads in with load data and where we got the load data from ie books and book number and page. Also copies of that data from that book.

In the ATA we should all be adults and follow common sense safety. But I guess we gonna have to protect ourselves. That calls for more rules.. Dang all I want to do is say PULL and bust the targets, and have FUN!!! but SAFE FUN!

WesleyB

19. NintyT

NintyT Member

Loved the Kick Start talk. I was at a local club just today, and one of the club officials went out to help a female with a live shell stuck in her 1100. Scared the #@%^ out of me when he put it down and kicked at it, about three times before the bolt came back. Shell still didn't come out..... If that gun would've gone off, the way he was holding it, well it would've been pretty close. Next time, I expect she'll be trying the same thing.

20. Freebird

Freebird TS Member

Here is what has worked well for me: Set butt of 1100 on ground with muzzle pointed straight up. Put on the safety. Crouch down beside it so you are not in danger of the muzzle. Raise the gun up a few inches and GENTLY bump the butt on the ground while applying constant downward pressure on the bolt handle. It will open right up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.