1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This mount technique helps me

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Mount to the Cheek, not the Shoulder.

I tried this and find I can mount more consistently. When mounting to the shoulder I found myself frequently making adjustments or actually unmounting and doing it again.

Larry

2. Westie

Westie Member

Worth a try. I know I lift my head.

3. Maurice

Maurice Member

Purdy, Holland & Holland and Churchill have been teaching this method for field shooting for eons. As the bird flushes track the bird with the muzzle as you raise the stock to your cheek, put the shoulder behind the butt plate, lead the the target and shoot. It very rarely fails. Maurice ( The Brit. )

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I believe D. Lee Braun preached this method in "Trapshooting with the Remington Pros" video from the early to mid 60s.

Bob

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

When I try that with Ljutic, the buttstock slides over my shoulder....

6. fatboy18

fatboy18 Member

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you look at the Olympic trapshooters they all set the gun in their shoulder first and then put their face down.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I think it's field mounting vs target mounting, or field mounting vs pre-mounting. It your gun fit is good you're probably better off mounting into the shoulder first for pre-mounting as you have plenty of time to get your face properly down on the now stabilized stock.

9. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I don't know. Certainly I am not an expert. However, I took some skeet shooting lessons from Gabby Hulgan, NSSA World Champ. The technique he teaches is: up/cheek/shoulder/locked. Sure improved my game.

10. butcher

butcher Member

Westie, pull your gun into your shoulder hard and press your cheek to the comb firmly and follow through like you was going to shoot the target twice or as some people say play like ou are shooting the chips.That should keep you from lifting your head and help you stay into your gun.

11. Maurice

Maurice Member

I you mount the gun to your shoulder and then have to lower your cheek to the comb, then the gun does not fit you period. Maurice ( The Brit.)

12. Robb

Robb Member

Does it really matter if it is the same mount every time? I guess what I'm saying is if the gun ends up where it belongs why does it matter how it gets there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.