1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why unions are good for America !!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by ysr_racer, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/10/chrysler-workers-drinking_n_2272291.html

Chrysler Workers Drinking: Fired Employees Reinstated At Jefferson North Plant In Detroit

Chrysler has reinstated more than a dozen Jefferson North assembly line workers who were filmed drinking and smoking pot during their breaks.

The Big Three automaker suspended two workers without pay for a month and outright fired 13 other employees in September 2010, after television station Fox 2 filmed the men drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana during their shift breaks over a period of several days.

At the time the video was aired, Scott Garberding, Chrysler's senior vice president of manufacturing, told the TV station, "I'm very, very disturbed about what I just saw in the video and I want to make it clear that we at Chrysler take it very seriously."

But the United Auto Workers (UAW), the union representing the assembly line employees, filed grievances on behalf of the workers that were fired.

And a third-party arbitrator sided with the union, agreeing that Chrysler had to give the workers back their jobs. They started back at the factory this week.

"Chrysler Group LLC acknowledges the reinstatement of a number of employees from the Jefferson North assembly plant who were discharged from the company in September 2010 after appearing in a local TV station's story about their off-duty conduct," the automaker said in a statement reported by Fox 2.

"While the company does not agree with the ultimate decision of the arbitrator, we respect the grievance procedure process as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement and our relationship with the UAW. Unfortunately, the company was put in a very difficult position because of the way the story was investigated and ultimately revealed to the public. These employees from Jefferson North have been off work for more than two years. The time has come to put this situation behind us and resume our focus on building quality products that will firmly establish Chrysler Group's position in the marketplace."

Chrysslerdrinking_foxdetroit_20292017_BG1.jpg

2. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I would be banned if I commented how I feel about this.

DISGUSTING!

3. drgondog

drgondog Member

I referred to this in one of the other union vs non-union threads yesterday.

This is one reason I would never re-locate a manufacturing company to MI where this kind of outrage puts my company's reputation for quality control on my product in question, or removes my firing authority for violations of clearly posted behavior requirements to work in an OSHA supervised environment.

I maintain that the MI Legislature is and has been hearing similar comments from industry they are trying to lure to Michigan. What Board in their right mind wants to move their company to high taxes, closed union shops and bad weather?

There is a reason Nissan, mercedes, Boeing put up new plants in Right to Work states with low or zero state income taxes.

Regards,

Bill

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Yup real justice

Why do we even have rules and laws when they are constantly igonred

5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Rick, that is true, but, in the private sector they stay fired.

6. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wonder what those workers have been doing for the last two years. Drawing unemployment?

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Rick, I agree with you 100%.

By the way I am union and have seen people run off the job site for good for drinking during the lunch break. Have also seen some permanently banned from ever working for some companies. The boss can't always catch these guys but the co-workers can.

I live in a right to work state and have worked side by side with some good non-union people. Have also seen some non-union people run off for the same thing.

Love the unions or hate them you still have the same type of people in the work place!!

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Some are missing the point. Sure, you don't have to be in a union to do something stupid like drinking on the job. The difference is that non-union people would be fired permanently and, in this and many other cases, the corrupt union does something even stupider, which is to help them get their jobs back. Pathetic and goes to the heart of what's wrong with unions.

It does improve the intellect of LTS though.

9. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

The reason these worker got their jobs back is because the rules and laws were ignored. Obviously these employees were terminated without the following proper disciplinary procedure. The Big 3/UAW contracts are loaded with rules that address these situations. The contract I work under has language relating to this also. Anyone in possession of, consuming, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol will be terminated, end of employment. There has been instances where a last chance agreement has been instituted to give the employee a chance to sober up. This has worked out for some, others not. Today's society views any drug or alcohol use as a disease and has to be treated accordingly. And the issue of how or when this was reported to the company, if at all, before it was aired to the general public. We know how the shock value adds to ratings for the media.

Joe

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I was still working as a salaried manager at Westinghouse when they allowed taking clients and business associates for cocktails during the business day. More than three drinks was considered inappropriate. More than a few clients got taken to see showgirls dance. I have driven drunken area and district managers back to their home or offices and sent hourly people to retrieve their personal autos. I know that things have changed some in the last 20 years, but there has always been more than one set of rules depending on what rung of the ladder you are on.

This year when our State representitives refused to do their jobs, they drove to IL and spent several days drinking and partying so thery could not be forced to vote on a responsible budget. They rang up a sizable bill that was paid by the taxpayers who they refused to serve.

At least the factory workers were drinking on their own time and paying for their own beer.

Double standards always are rougher on the bottom rung people. Neither of my examples are union people.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

UAW and SEIU are just as putrid as public sector unions. Greedy rabble rousing puppets of their leaders. The folks I saw protesting Michigan on the news are of the same ilk. Of course Hussein had to throw a little gas on the fire just so he could hear some cheering.

The scene in Madison last spring was a good look at those people. I just wish there would have been a viable candidate to oppose Dave Hansen, another skunk IMO.

Trade unionists in most areas (not all) have more responsibility. And more pride.

At least I saw it that way.

I would love to read the grievance papers on the Chrysler deal. If the guys were out of work for 2 years maybe they will cease the behavior.

One would hope so anyway.

HM

HM

12. 1oz

1oz Member

Did they get back pay for the 2 years?

13. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I'm guessing in the end Chrysler will have to pay them for all their lost wages.

It's sad that ths is what America's become.

14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

What's even sadder is that people make excuses for them and try to justify what happened.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They probably were bondholders............

HM

16. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Leo you are so very right!!!!

GS

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

This is a prime example of why Michigan will go down the drain,..and Detroit is just the plug at the bottom of the corruption cesspool and it wil go first when the bottom falls out

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

And Goober Smoocher you will always be on the lowest rung, you have to put in just a little effort to get above it

Doesn't it bother you any as you look back and see how you pissed away your whole life sucking on the taxpayers tit?

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Detroit teachers skip school to protest at the state house. 4 school districts closed. Union thugs tear down a tent and beat up a few people, destroy property, and threaten more people. They need a lesson on civility from the Tea Party.

Michigan's RTW bill has passed.

As midalake would say: "Chomp, Chomp, Yum, Yum!"

20. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

"As midalake would say: "Chomp, Chomp, Yum, Yum!"

That is some funny sheet there.......

Can't wait for 2016!!!

How about you??

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.