1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why I wipe or destroy old hard drives....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    ...or cell phones.

Man turns old cell phone in for recycling at Radio Shack, who in turn furnishes his employer with photos he took at his workplace, getting him fired. Radio Shack says you have no right to privacy when you turn in equipment to them to be recycled.

This is why I do a DoD (Dept of Defense) 3 or 7 pass wipe on all old hard drives at work or home with Darik's Boot-n-Nuke. Or physically destroy the drive beyond recover if it cannot be wiped. Same for cell phones, flash drives, camera cards, etc.

2. quartering

quartering Active Member

agreed. drives/memory are cheap and disposable. destroy 'em. btw, what were the the pictures of?

3. Brian in Oregon

Pictures he took at his workplace. Details were not mentioned.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Brian,

Could you explain how to do a 3 or 7 pass wipe? I have all my old phones and every computer I have ever owned all the way back to my first which was an Apple IIE. Boy have we come a long way from that old thing.

5. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Hand sledge worked for me

6. revbook

revbook Member

.45 seems to work well

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Photos stored on a cell phone's internal memory are impossible to retrieve once deleted. There are tutorials out there that describe how to retrieve photos from a cell phone, if saved on a memory card within the phone, but if they were originally stored on the phone's internal memory, it is long gone...sounds like the unfortunate person in the story linked above didn't delete any of his photos from the phone (or did not take out his memory card from the phone if he had stored his photos on the memory card itself)

8. Brian in Oregon

Link to Darik's Boot-n-Nuke", a self-booting Linux based program that wipes out any and all hard drives it can find. It gives several options for wiping, including DoD3 or DoD7. Dban will run from a bootable device, either a diskette, CD-rom or flash drive (if the flash drive is made bootable).

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Modern copy machines are not simple photo copiers anymore. They digitize the scam and print from a big hard drive. When the machine is worn, they copy machine leasing companies auction them off for whatever they can at liquidation. No one cares where they go. Lots of them end up overseas. Guess what is still in them? the hard drive with everyones information. Like your tax papers, like your legal documents, your loan papers your Social Security documents. Anything it takes to steal your identity. It is amazing more people are not ripped off by identity thieft. Kind of makes you think.

10. xb40

xb40 Member

+1 on the sledge hammer,and you never have to worry about it period. So much for doing a good deed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I like using them for a 7 mag, 300 yrd target personally.

John MI

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

A drill works fine.

13. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Yes, a 3/16" drill bit three or four time through the hard drive would render it unreadable.

Tim

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I either delete my info and or have the cell co do it for me. Once that is done I take the unwanted phone down to the Police dept and give it to the battered women dept so they can give them to the women who need them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.