1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This is very important!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gundog, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gundog

gundog TS Member

Given the age and physical condition of alot of trap shooters evey trap club should hold a special fundraising shoot .The funds raised should be spent on a AED, "Automatic External Defibulator". They are used in a cardiac emergency. This device is the best investment a club can make for its shooters Period!!

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

...great idea and to be preachy, how about some training with said device(s)?

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

No training really required, the instructions are very simple on the box, it will not defibulate unless it is needed. I went thru a lot of crap to get my club to buy one, couldn't believe all the old guys would be against it, it keeps getting moved until now it's in a corner somewhere. I hope when it is needed someone at the club knows where it is.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We did it 2 years ago. so far not used, thank goodness.

HM

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The old guys don't want to be reminded of the fact that they are the ones most likely to need it.

Eric

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I bought my own, I take it with me to every shoot I go to. I tell responsible persons where it is & it is self trained. We spend lots of $$ on guns & ammo---this is your most important shooting tool.

Phil Berkowitz

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Good idea, as I have been to some clubs that did not even have a bandaid when needed.
    Steve Balistreri

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

How much are they?

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If your club can afford $1500.00 or so it's the best money they can spend. We have one at my local club and a couple of them at Myrtle Grove.

Bob Schultz

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Excellent idea.--I'm glad to say that at all events i have attended at the WSRC they keep an Ambulance with EMT's on hand. There has been a number of people that have been attended too besides the ones that have sucomed to the Grand heat.--Matt

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Great idea pull!

Quick little training for you chango-

Put one patch on right upper chest. The other left lateral side of the person, bottom of ribs or around there. It will analyze and tell you what to do from there. The idea is for the electric shock to travel between the two patches going through the heart.

Couple big points, you need good direct contact with skin. That means shave or pull chest hair out if you gotta and no bra's etc for the ladies. You must be clear when its analyzing because your pulse could register if touching the persons body.

(This is no substitute for red cross training etc but atleast you have an idea and this info may or may not be as up to date as it could be. )

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

A wise investment and relatively easy to use even for a lay person as it comes with pictographs (on the pad packing) and voice instruction from the AED itself. A person having a heart attack can easily go into ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation and when that happens, without appropriate intervention, he'll become a statistic in 4-5 minutes. Suggest attending BLS/ACLS class given by such organization as the Red Cross. The life you save maybe that of a friend or a loved one. Chichay

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Let me tell you about a very frightening experience I had three weeks ago. A good friend of mine and shooting buddy received an order of supplies which consisted of 30 bags of shot, powder and wads and we loaded them in his vehicle. Then we decided to put 30 cases of birds in the high house. He lifted ten of them up and then got up there via the ladder. I started passing them up to him and only had 3 more when he suddenly said he had to catch his breath and sat down and slowly fell back. His eyes were open but were blank and he didn't respond to my calls. I immediately dialed 911 and was trying to explain where I was calling from but didn't have a good signal but couldn't leave where I was at as I felt Mel(my friend) might fall through the hole. As they were advising me that they were getting ready to pull out(fifteen miles away) my friend's legs, arms and body jumped, thats right jumped up, completely from the cases of pigeons. Fifteen seconds later his eyes focused and he asked me what I was doing. I told him that I had 911 on the line and they were coming. He said tell them not to come. I SAID, "DO WHAT?" He said tell them not to come and he was alright. He had a defibrillator in his chest and it had just saved his life. Believe me I was really stressed as I was trying to figure out how I was going to get him down and start CPR on him. I'm 63 years old and not near as strong as I used to be. I'm proud to say that He is doing good but I won't let him load a trap house or anything when I'm there. LOL He thanked me and told me he was glad that I knew what to do and how to react in case it happened again. I told him I was never coming back or shooting with him as I was scared I might have a heart attack. LOL He is 46 years young. Jackie Bennett

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I keep battery cables in the trunk... You just never know....

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jim---If something like this ever happens to me, please call 911 and let them be well on the way before you go to jump start'n me. I shutter to think where you'll hook the leads up. You may have to hold the idol up some to get a good jolt. LOL---Matt

16. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

....I tried to get our club to buy a defibrillator. Some on the board of directors were concerned about Liability Lawsuits. Voted down,,I still think it is a good idea...SMOKIT

17. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Board of Directors voting it down?!?! Wow! If they were worried about the liability of the unit - just imagine the liability of having a written minutes of a meeting stating they decided NOT to take any action AT ALL!!!

The opening thread mentioned the age and physical condition of other shooters made him think of needing this device. But, keep in mind, someone can be young and look very healthy looking and still have a heart attack. It can happen to just about anyone. I would agree that all clubs should have some type of unit and/or offer CPR training - just on the fact that gun clubs tend to be a LONG way from the nearest rescue response (hospital/police/fire stations).

Good thread!!

18. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Bubba, I should be more accurate--It was not formally voted down it just sorta faded away..SMOKIT

19. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

We just installed one here at Mt.Morris SC.

SMOKIT, Most states have Good Samaritan laws to prevent lawsuits. Press the issue. Ours was purchased through donations from our members. There are good deals on refurbished units out there for $800.00 and up. IMHO the AED's are the most important piece of equipment you hope you never have to use. Good luck.

20. bubba68

bubba68 Member

SMOKIT - thanks for the clarification. But, still - being brought up in a meeting and nothing done is still a big liability. Inaction is no excuse should something occur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.