1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This is the only sport that I know of that

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Name another sport that gives a spot. Horse racing all horses start evenly, as in Golf all drives are from the same distance, In auto racing the fastest gets the pole position, Football kickoffs are from the 20 yardline I believe unless penalized.

The Grand American Handicap should be won from the 27 yard line, all high tied scores from the 27 yard line shoot off for the title GRAND AMERICAN HANDICAP CHAMPION all others shoot off for yardage championships, High Lady, Sr.Vet, Vet. Junior, Sub Junior, Chair-shooter 26-25-24-23-22-21-20-19-18 yds respectively

If you want to shoot for the GRAND AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP you shoot from the 27 yard line.

This is just my personal Opinion.

The Clay Target Championship is the only fair shoot, all shoot from the 16 yard line, the AAA shooters will win this event I have not seen a "D" shooter win this event. There are sandbaggers in this event, no doubt about it.

I am entitled to my opinion, but this is the best for the sport of trapshooting.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Then it shouldn't be called handicap, should it?

3. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

27 yard singles...nah, i wont participate. while we are at it lets take it the other way, how about 50 yard doubles, shooting towards the trap as the come at you. now thats sounds fun.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Are Grand champions required to shoot singles or doubles, or is it optional?

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Wrong again Gary. Horses are handicaped by carrying added weight, Golf has different Tee boxes, football is a team sport, car racing is also a team sport.

Shooting from different yardage is the equalizer in Trap. You don't like it don't shoot. It gives lesser shooters a chance as evidenced by past winners.

Also check the winners from the 16 not all big dogs.

Thanks again for nothing.

Don

PS: Curvy good to see you again.

6. oz

oz Active Member

and then there's the sandbaggers. oz

7. aimless

aimless TS Supporters TS Supporters

How can somebody that is not a member of the ATA
    and carried an 85 average from the 20yd line, call
    himself Dr.Longshot and make suggestions on how the
    Grand American Handicap should be shot?

Whoops, Looked up the wrong Gary Bryant. Sorry Dr. Longshot

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Everytime he writes something, he just can't get it right!

Curt

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Dr. Gary Longshorts lost my attention when he tried to cast doubt on the character of perhaps our most informed and helpful poster. Shoot often while we can, Bob

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just a point of interest Dr I wouldn't want to say you are wrong so I will say you are incorrect.

In the last thirty years since the first 100 from the back fence was shot it has been duplicated six more time. Thats seven times in Thirty years hardly the flowing picture that longdraw paints.

"The Grand American Handicap should be won from the 27 yard line, all high tied scores from the 27 yard line shoot off for the title GRAND AMERICAN HANDICAP CHAMPION"

aimless it would appear that in this case you are clueless not aimless. Dr longdraws is indeed a ATA member with very few single or handicap targets this year (2009). He is however very strong on his criticism of ATA policies and shooting venues.

Bob Lawless

11. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

"Just a point of interest Dr I wouldn't want to say you are wrong so I will say you are incorrect. "

HUH

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

hahahahaha....Just a nicer way of saying that you are full of crap!

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Most golfers I know talk about their "handicap." I think in many amateur tournaments, this "levels the playing field."

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

If we have a handicap event then some shooters must be handicapped more than others. Gary has indirectly stated that handicap events should be eliminated from trapshooting. Few others would agree with him. In fact, it seems that few others agree with most of the ideas he posts on this site.

Pat Ireland

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am wrong in some sports, but all golfers drive from the pro-tees in MAJOR tournaments

Aimless I have been a life member of the ATA since the 70s have been on the 27 yard line for a total of 20+ years have over 50,000 hdcp targets and have carried a 98+ average on 3450 targets in the earlier years.

Have shot a 100 straight in Hdcp from 24.5 yards and numerous 98s from the 27.
    most recent was at Missouri Fall Hdcp 3 years ago.

I just feel in our Sport the best shooter from the 27 yard line has the hardest targets to break, the closer you are the easier it is to break them.
    Just take the 16 yd line for example, 40 200 straights is not un-common.

A 100 from the 27yd line is extremely difficult, you really have to concentrate

To be a Champion you have to believe in yourself when no one else will!!

In horse racing the added weight is based on what? I don't know. But all horses start from the POST and run the same distance, none are put out in front of the others. But Triple Crown winners are few and far between.

Right now Leo Harrison is the best of the Best. Kay Ohye is up there also

Years ago it was Dan Orlich,

But to me and only me the others Grand Hdcp Winners were just Yardage champions

Now put Leo, Ohye, Marshall, Harlan, and othgers on the 20 yard line and look at the results, Put everybody on the 20 yard line for the Grand Championship
    have one hell of a shoot off and see who is still standing?

If 2 shooters can break 1350 targets in a shootoff, look at how many would be tied and shoot off from the 20 yard line.

The grand daddy of them all should be won shooting the toughest long distance targets, hence the 27 yard line.

In International Shooting what is their handicap? In Sporting Clays what is their Hndcp? They have different classes but they all shoot the same targets from the same distances and same platform.

But this is just my opinion and I thought I would just throw it out there.

And no dis-respect to the ATA or any other shooting organization.

I wonder what Leo, Harlan, Ohye, Kiner, Marshall, Schultz, Dysinger, and of course the west coast shooters & others think about this?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

"Just a point of interest Dr I wouldn't want to say you are wrong so I will say you are incorrect. " is this from the New American Obama Dictionary??? On second thought sounds more like Biden in one of his more coherent moments....like "spend more money to avoid bankruptcy"......gotta wonder...LOL

As for winning GA Hcp Championships....I feel that there should be 2 categories--- 18-24 1/2 yards and 25-27 yards. With the shorter yard winner being subordinated to the longer yardage winner.

JMHO

Jim C

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You are right about the "Pro Golfer" but you are saying that all shooters in the Grand are then Pros and must shoot from the 27. We are the Amateur Trapshooting Assoc. not the Professional Trapshooting Assoc. therefore we have different starting points based upon our abilities. Our Pros are mixed in with the Amateurs, the major difference. Get a grip!!

Don

PS: You left out the part about your commanding officer.

18. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Some of you seem to feel that only members of the ATA can criticize the ATA.

Okay, then, I want to see all your criticism of the Democratic Party cease.
    Hey, fair is fair....

:)

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Anyone know the answer to my question?

20. Doc G

Doc G Member

Gary,

You say your format is "the best for the sport of trapshooting". Have you thought about the impact on participation in the Grand American Handicap your idea would have?

Doug Gormley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gary bryant trap shooter