1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This is how screwed up my neck is (gun pics)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]

When my health allowed me to get back into varmint hunting again around 2008, I was mainly using my Remington R-15 carbine for ground squirrels (gray diggers), because I wanted as much practice as possible for coyote hunting with it.

Now that I'm doing pretty darn well (if I can toot my own horn), I decided to dig out my old varmint rifles from the deepest reaches of my safe. These are Browning 1885 Single Shot High Walls in 22-250 (top) and 223 Rem (bottom).

Sean in Oregon has complained that he can't shoot my scoped rifles. For example he has to hold his head way back to see through the scope on the R-15 or my 10-22T. I shouldered both 1885s and found I could not crane my neck far enough forward to see through the scope.

The problem is my top two neck vertebrae are screwed up. One is rotated slightly CW, the other CCW. And the discs are slightly bulging into the spinal cord. Not only do I get to enjoy migraines, but it's damn difficult to shoot prone. I gave up on DCM shooting. I could not shoot the prone sessions easily.

Anyway, the Browning/Burris scope bases, as seen on the 22-250 (top) do not allow any more rearward travel of the scope (both scopes are Vari-X III Leupold 6.5-20x 40mm - the bottom one has an 8" sunshade on it). Found out Leupold offers mounts for the High Walls. While the Browning/Burris front mount could be reversed, the rear base effectively stays in the same position, and the turret knob waist would prevent enough rearward movement. Found some photos where others have reversed the rear Leupold mount.

So, picked up a set of Leupold bases and low rings (instead of medium - better cheek weld and less neck strain). Installed them tonight and took pics of the difference. The scope had to be moved 1.25" to the rear.

Another rude awakening is the occular has to be screwed out about a quarter of an inch because my eyes have lost their elasticity. Not an issue on other scopes, but these particular models have a stop pin in them and they're at the limit, which fortunately works.

I'm coming up on 52 next month. See what you younger guys get to look forward to?

BTW, the bottom rifle, the 223, has killed more critters than all my other guns combined. With quality ammo it's a half MOA gun, and even cheap remanufactured rounds are MOA. The 22-250 is 3/4 MOA with quality ammo. The 22-250 was my original dedicated coyote rifle.

Also have another 1885 in 25-06 that will need this treatment, but it lacks a scope at the moment. Might put a vari-X II 6-18x on it after the floating dot reticle is replaced by a fine duplex. I can't see the dot nor its crosshairs in the field.

2. Reinz

Reinz Member

Nice rifles, sorry to hear about your neck and migranes. Being a migrane sufferer myself, I feel your pain.

And being in my mid 50's, all my "game" playing has left me with a walking train wreck. There's not enough room here to list (smile).

Thus my gun games are constantly changing.

Best of luck to ya Brian

3. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Old Chinese proverb: "Without good health, nothing else matters". Nice rifles, Brian. Love those 1885s. Chichay

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

One of the nice things about shooting sports, many variables to allow for different debilitys. Nothing more encouraging than witnessing a wheelchair victim shooting a round of trap. As long as my vision holds up everything is good.

Robert

5. wbill

wbill Member

One fix for the neck is to have it fused. Been there and done that twice and still shooting trap. Bill

6. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Nice Brownings Brian.....I just bought a new Winchester low-wall in 223 with an octagon barrel.....My 20 shot break-in consisted of 4, 5 shot groups of 52gr Sierras, & ww 748 powder.....Largest break-in group measured .9- hard to believe......I think I got a keeper....Hope you get to feeling better & soon.....But keep your shooting & your spirts up Brian......Pete LaBella

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Not a rifle shooter but had compressed disks of the neck so bad the doc wanted to operate after 6 months of therapy . Out of work for over 6 months and I asked for a different therapist and that one saved me from the unwanted operation/fusion . 20 years and still going strong but everyone is different . Good luck with it .

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Not a rifle shooter but had compressed disks of the neck so bad the doc wanted to operate after 6 months of therapy . Out of work for over 6 months and I asked for a different therapist and that one saved me from the unwanted operation/fusion . 20 years and still going strong but everyone is different . Good luck with it .

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Brian, know exactly how you feel. C-2 is the only vertebrae that's I have movement in. Since my surgery, everything else has fused by itself. C-3 down to T-1 no movement. Brian you may get some relief from a TheraBead hot pack. I have 2 of them. See the above link. CVS and WalGreens carries them. When I get the twinge in my neck, I know a migraine is coming on. Pop on in the microwave for 2 minutes and lay down with in on my neck.

Migraines are now a weekly event, sometimes lasting 2 hours or more. 3 days a week.

But hey at least I'm not in a wheel chair. Yet...

Jerbear

10. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

The cervical surgery was a breeze. I have a Titanium plate with 6 Tiatanium screws holding C4-C5-C6 together. Spent about 24 hours in the hospital total, about 4 months of not shooting and that was it. They did the frontal surgery on me.

The only thing that I came away with a negative about was..if I bend my neck forward and out..I can feel that plate pressing against the back of my windpipe.
    So I got a high rib trap gun and that cured that problem.

Vern

11. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Since neck surgery, my neck isn't perfect, but I'll be glad to take those guns off your hands for a fair value. I shot a box ($89.00) of Rem 300 Ultra Mag shells through my light weight Model 700 Alaskan Wilderness rifle yesterday and didn't feel any neck pain. It's time to go elk hunting soon. AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

c4 c5 c6 fusion surgery shoot guns

migraine prone scope shooting