1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This is exactly what's wrong with Democrats

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We need to make political hay with this. First gun bans, now huckleberry bans. The Democrats just simply stand for bans.<br>
    <br>
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Feb. 22, 2007<br>
    <br>
    Huckleberry-picker prison?<br>
    <br>
    Seventh District Rep. Joel Kretz, R-Wauconda, today questioned the wisdom of Democrats on the House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee in passing the “Huckleberry Bill” out of committee this week.<br>
    <br>
    House Bill 1040 would allow the citation of local huckleberry pickers who possess or transport more than three gallons of huckleberries, either on their person or in their home, or both. The berries could be seized and given to the local Native American Tribe.<br>
    <br>
    “We’re now going to have huckleberry cops, huckleberry hounds and a wholesale round-up of little old ladies picking huckleberries used for pies they auction off for charity,” said Kretz. “What has this world come to that folks can’t pick more than three gallons of berries in their own backyard without a permit? This bill would make it illegal to do just that on both public and private land without a state-issued permit.”<br>
    <br>
    Kretz said this is just another example of tribes attempting to exempt themselves from state laws, in this case the “specialty forestry products” statute that requires a permit to gather and haul products, like cedar or mushrooms without a permit. And, he says, the amendment made to the bill before it left committee would allow tribal members to declare, not prove, they are part of a recognized tribe in the area in order to skirt the need for a permit.<br>
    <br>
    “I share the concerns of folks who want to preserve the berry bushes. I introduced an amendment to narrow the bill solely to ban the use of rakes to harvest huckleberries, which is the issue of most concern. My amendment was rejected, but it was a fix that would have curbed the commercial abuse the original bill was purported to be getting at,” Kretz said.<br>
    <br>
    Kretz added that under House Bill 1040, if grandma is found with contraband huckleberries in excess of three gallons, even if they are in her freezer, the berries would be confiscated by the “huckleberry cops.”<br>
    <br>
    Kretz said he called one of the main organizers and bakers for the annual October Huckleberry Pie Auction to benefit the Wauconda Hall and was told that hand-picking four gallons a day was not unheard of, particularly when baking the pies for the traditional pie auction. These ladies, Kretz said, would have to break the law to transport the berries to their home or go buy a permit to pick the berries, by hand, on public land.<br>
    <br>
    “It’s just not right. Don’t Democrats have anything better to do than bust berry pickers? What we’re moving toward with this legislation would amount to ‘huckleberry hounds’ sniffing around for violators and unwitting berry smugglers,” said Kretz.<br>
    <br>
    “It sounds silly, but it isn’t at all. This bill would have very serious implications. It would allow for in-home confiscation of the berries and that is absolutely the most arrogant and worst piece of policy I’ve seen in my years working with and in the Legislature,” Kretz said. “Not to mention, while the Democrats are sorting out this ‘controversial’ berry issue, important issues like health care are left unresolved. It makes me wonder, is huckleberry picking really the top agenda item of the people of our state?”<br>
    <br>

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

What state??

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's Congress.

4. ChetH

ChetH Member

Its the State of Washington

chet

5. bigdogtx

Wondered about the huckleberry. The pies sounded good. Also, what does the phrease, "I'm your huckleberry", mean? Thanks

6. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Would not expect anything less from that state. Too close to kalifornistan.

7. southpark

southpark TS Member

"I'm your huckleberry is an old expression, but when it was used it meant "I'm your man for the job."

8. bigdogtx

Thanks, Jim

9. C-Money

C-Money Member

The problem with Wa state is the west side! Alot of people over there are very different than people on the east side of the Cascade's! Corey (east side resident)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.