1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST DIFFICULT SPORT TO MASTER!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    when i was a kid i was an above average athlete. although i love trapshooting, i find it to be the hardest sport i have ever tried to participate in. an example, yesterday was our club championship at my local gun club. on friday night i go to the club, find out even though my ATA average card shows that my 16 yard avg is 92+ i will be in class B for the club shoot. they base your handicap yardage off your 16 yd ata avg too. instead of me shooting on 20 yards for the club championship i have been penalized to shoot 24 yds. i go to shoot a practice 16 event, and i shoot a 49. i shoot a round from 24 yd handicap and i run a 25. i go out on sat, run a 50 straight for 16 yds, and a 24 from 24 yds. so i am set, i look at the belt buckles, look for the 16yd champion buckle, look at the handicap buckle, and in my mind, these buckles are mine. comes sunday and i am ready to shoot the club championship. just before i leave to drive to the club, i get a call from a relative with some bad news. it never fails. i am now driving, not thinking about shooting, but about the problem from the phone call. i get to the club, sign up and i am on the line. i don't understand why i can hardly see the target. my shooting glasses are so dark, i am thinking, my blood pressure must be highly elevated. i break a score of 18. i empty my shells and suddenly notice i put my trapshooting glasses over my sun glasses. my mind was clealy not on shooting since the phone call. i shoot a score of 43 out of 50. i shoot the handicap, and shoot a 37 out of 50. on friday and sat when i shoot the handicap i broke a 49, in 16 yd i broke a 49, and a 50. what the hell happened? why is this game so hard to master after 40 years of shooting? the great d.lee braun said in his book that there are roughly 72 angles. we have all hit every one of these angles and yet we continue to miss the same targets. even though i love this sport, i find it very frustrating at times. why is this games so hard to master?
    steve balistreri

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

All games are hard to master without superb concentration. Try to shoot par in golf. Wayne

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Golf is far more difficult than trapshooting.

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I have recently read that trapshooting requires you to be "mentally tough", and I believe that. It takes a great deal of focus and concentration to break 100 or 200 clays straight. At the upper levels of the game, that is what is required if you want to win. I believe that is what makes this game somewhat unusual...the pressure is relentless.

Even in bunker or Olympic trap, you can afford to miss a bird, and still be in the game. In golf, you can have a bad hole, and still win the tournament. In football, you can throw an interception, and still win the Super Bowl. But, if you are AA or AAA in trap, and you miss ONE single bird at a state or zone shoot in the singles event...you might as well pack up your gun and go home.

That to me that is what makes this game different, and in many ways, particularly appealing. Each target requires your full concentration and attention...you must "be in the moment"...good training for life in general.

Jus' my opinion.

Jef

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

As in all individual sports, if you want to be really good, start at a younger age.

6. senior smoke

Jef- i think you hit the nail on the head!
    steve

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Try hitting an 83 mph slider or a 96 mph fastball.

The BEST batters in baseball are only successful 30% of the time.

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Where was Luther when you needed him ???

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I believe it was the great golfer Ben Hogan who said:

"A perfect score in golf would be 18, but I continue to return anyway."

Stay with it senior smoke.

10. senior smoke

trapboy1957- after the championship fiasco, i should change my name from ss to dumb ass.
    steve

11. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I know your pain. My best averages (in league) have only been 47. On one day I'll shoot a 50 straight and think I've got it down now. The next trip I fight for a 44 0r 45. This year I went back to beginners level. Not shooting as much hurts me too. I have to agree with the others that golf is far more difficult than trapshooting.

Joe

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I shoot trap every week for recreation and practice. I do shoot registered sporting clays and recreational skeet as well. I sometimes wonder what makes a great shooter and why some people seem to have it and some don't. I think it is several things. Great concentration. Good hand eye coordination. Good eyes. A sense of proportions to duplicate shots and see and or feel the correct lead over and over. Good peripheral vision and the ability to see the relationship between the gun and the target and know you have the correct lead. Year round dedication and practice. Confidence that you will shoot good. The ability to stay calm and make the necessary corrections without getting rattled. Confidence in your gun and shells. Good practice. Experimentation and adaptation when necessary to correct any problems that can arise in your shooting.

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

At least in golf, you can make up a bad shot. Not so in trap. In golf too when you birdie the last hole, your assessment of your own skills goes up, not for long though.

14. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

The best shooter I know just doesn't care. He is soooo calm - always - nothing seems to rattle him. I've shot and hunted with him for 20 years and never seen him as much as shake his head at a bad shot at a duck, deer, or target. He is supremely confident he will make the next shot - I think that's the ticket.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone can master our outside sport, Mother Nature always has a way of preventing that. Some are pretty darned efficient though, year in and out with good averages. Mastering the game and master of the game is two very different things! Hap

16. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Cliff diving. Your timing has to be perfect.

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

There are two more qualities I would add to a good sporting clays shooter. The ability to place new types of targets in a memory bank you can draw from when needed and the ability to figure out complex leads with falling, looping and twisting targets. Coming from a background of hunting, trap and skeet the hardest thing for me to learn were these leads. I am just now getting them and my scores reflect it.

18. senior smoke

almost every good shooter that i know of seem to have one thing in common. most if not all, started shooting guns at a very young age. when you think of it, most exceptional people in sports, start at an early age. i am sure there are a few gifted people that started later in life, but i think that is the exception not the norm.
    steve balistreri

19. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

For many of us our first gun was a BB gun. I can't imagine how many thousands of rounds I put through several different BB guns. Thousands of different canisters of BB's over several years. From my first Daisy lever actions to my Crossman pumps and CO2's.

20. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

what highflyer aid above,

"I shoot trap every week for recreation and practice. I do shoot registered sporting clays and recreational skeet as well. I sometimes wonder what makes a great shooter and why some people seem to have it and some don't. I think it is several things. Great concentration. Good hand eye coordination. Good eyes. A sense of proportions to duplicate shots and see and or feel the correct lead over and over. Good peripheral vision and the ability to see the relationship between the gun and the target and know you have the correct lead. Year round dedication and practice. Confidence that you will shoot good. The ability to stay calm and make the necessary corrections without getting rattled. Confidence in your gun and shells. Good practice. Experimentation and adaptation when necessary to correct any problems that can arise in your shooting.''

And add that you need to have a gun that shoots where you are looking and have a good hold point that works for you. I do not think starting age affects it much. Also do not penalize your self shooting light loads. Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.