1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This fish is poison

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just got an e-mail from a friend of mine whose father is a cardiologist. He said to warn people about eating Tilapia. Its the only fish out there that is loaded with Omega 6. Its the biggest scam out there. You think you're eating a healthy product, but its a an artery slammer.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Depends on who you listen to I guess.

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Wasn't Tilapia formerly considered a "trash fish"?

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I only eat the ones I find in the top of the dumpster behind the fish market. HMB

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I cant stand the taste of Tilapia anyway so works for me. I eat Walleyes, Grouper, Halibut or Salmon ( Crappies and Bluegills also)

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What gets me, they sell it at a lot of restaurants as "Bluegill". That ain't know damn "Bluegill". With the exception of an occasional visit to Red Lobster or Joe's Crab Shack, all my fish comes from the end of my fishing rods. Nothing better than fresh Crappie and Bluegill.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Well Poop Since I love mine rolled in seasoned cornmeal and deep fried in lard and smothered in Tarter sauce I guess I should cut back to twice a week eh. Or I could just have them leave the fish out and eat the corn dodgers smothered in tarter sauce;o) All BS aside Thanks Phil for the warning.

--- Chip King ---

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

birdogs, Tilapia is a member of the Cichlid family of fish. Other members include 'Oscars' red or tiger. They are a nasty fish with bad dispositions and they will usually eat the other fish in an aquarium. I do not eat that fish. Mike.

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I once saw a cable TV show about farm raised fish and they were feeding the Talapia the turds from the other fish. That was pretty much all I needed to know about Talapia.

-Gary

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Tilapia taste as if they were a turd so I'm not surprised that they are fed turds. Cheap trashy fish that tastes like the turd world they come from.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

This thread is BS. How many would rather suck down a big old nasty catfish full of mercury and other toxins.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I really prefer Soylent Green.

HM

13. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

My wife fed me some Talipia. Grotons brand, I called and they raise it in CHINA.
    No more Talipia from Gortons (Grotons) whatever..
    At least they admitted to it over the phone, but it was NOT indicated on the box.

14. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Good article.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I take cash or Jack Daniels up to where the indians (er native Americans) are selling fresh salmon. Much better than the farm raised salmon, though unfortunately it is seasonal.

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Fire water good stuff--makes good trading .

Phil Berkowitz

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not a biggie to me..I'm more of a shellfish/shrimp/lobster guy but do love good fresh Seatrout, Tuna and Monkfish ever so often...considering how much nasty stuff is dumped in the water I don't think anything that swims is totally clean

18. fly

fly Active Member

farm raised shrimp aren't good either, make sure they are wild caught, as they are full of the same crap that Tilapia is. Next time your shopping at the grocery store, check the bag.

19. dhip

dhip Active Member

I like most fish,Tilapie is NOT one of them.One that I actually tried for the first time ,last year is PIKE,wow,with out hesitation I feel it is the best tasting fish I've had.Never thought such a slimy fish could taste so good.Fella in Vermont showed us how to filet them( Y-bone makes it different).Friend did them in a fry daddy.Compared to the other fish he fried,the Pike won hands down.

Doug H.

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My mom makes a terrific Rockfish (Striped Bass to most) in a lemon dill sauce ..never had Pike but heard its got lotsa lil bones...guess its all in how its filleted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.