1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This and that

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Tommorow is my last day of school before Thanksgiving recess starts. I will be off 11-23 through 11-27. My return to college was more difficult then expected at first, but I have fallen into a nice grove. My test grades have been good, all A's and one B so far. Looking forward to having some time off. I now have a greater appreciation for how hard you have to work while going to college. My first attempt at college life I did not give 100% effort.

Last couple times I went shooting, I shot better than I expected. I am now feeling stronger and feel no need to continue to shoot from a stool at this time. I feel a desire to start shooting up all the shells I was given. Would hate to leave this earth with shells still unfired sitting in my bag.

A relative was given a 32 lb. turkey for the holiday. She invited my family to her home for the meal Thursday. I saw the bird and it has legs the size of car visors. A friend out at the gun club thought my aunt would not be able to fit the Turkey inside her standard oven. He suggested to have it cut in half at the area grocery store or a butcher shop. I had it cut in half Monday for her and it is still thawing out. Never saw a Turkey that big before. Wonder how it will taste?

I don't think most gun clubs have shoots where you can win live Turkeys anymore. Here's a story about two friends of mine that went to a shoot where live Turkeys were given out as prizes.

Years ago, they attended a very small club and shot the event. They also had small guns set up where you had to shoot out a star on a card within so many shots in order to win a turkey. One of my friends was a sniper in the service and he was a real good shooter. They both won a Turkey, and the gun club owner said they were done shooting. They told him that there was no sign saying you could only win one bird each. He said he would call the police if they continued shooting. The police were called and the owner was told they could continue shooting as there was no sign.

After they won a total of 13 Turkeys they quit shooting, and the owner told them never to come back to his club. They put all the turkeys in one large van one of the shooters just purchased. The driver told the other shooter to start killing the turkeys and pluck them while he drove the van to area gun clubs so they could go sell these turkeys.

Let's just say the van ended up looking like a crime seen, feathers sticking to blood all over the van. They went to area gun clubs and sold turkeys and could only get $2.00 to $3.00 per turkey. The owner of the van had to have the van completely detailed afterwards. The following week the owner of the van said that was the worst decidion he ever made.

I hope all of you have a nice holiday and good shooting.
    Take care,
    Steve Balistreri

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Now that you're getting re-educated Steve, when's the book coming out? Have a nice Thanksgiving, Bob

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's "re-edumicated". I know 'cause my momma learned me dat.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I imagine that van was about totaled

As far as big turkeys, when I was a kid, we raised turkeys on the farm, every spring we would get 250,000 poults, and raise them to range size, about 5-6 lbs, then sell all but about 80,000 to other turkey farmers

We would finish out the 80,000 (less the ones that died) and sell them, we would get a few big toms that weight over 75 lbs, and when we were loading them a few had heart attacks or strokes form the stress of walking, and we had a corn knife to chop their heads off

After getting the Sh#$ beat and gouged out of you loading 5-6 semi loads of them we got to pick and clean turkeys

That's why I joined the Air Force

The summer I joined the Air Force, was the last year they raised turkeys

They also got A/C in the tractor cabs and skid steer loaders to clean the hog houses

I'm beginning to see where I fit in

I thought they outlawed that in 1865

5. senior smoke

Catpower;
    I never knew Turkeys could get to be 75lbs?
    Steve

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Catpower, that's too funny. Not really I guess from your prospective. Lincoln didn't free you with the rest? LOL I suppose it makes your Thanksgiving dinner not as enjoyable as the rest of us have. Hope you have a good one this year. Bob

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It's groove Steve..... not grove....unless it's in an apple orchard...lol

B-

8. Catpower

Steve the ones we raised were Beltsville Whites, and there were some that would get over 75 lbs, they would dress out at about 40 lbs, it was a full oven, Mom had to take out all the racks, but they would feed a bunch of people

Bob, for a while I hated turkey, but got over it, now I will chow down on it

The main thing I hated about them was when ever we had a storm blow through we had to pick up the dead ones and then move them. If we had a bad storm there would be a bunch of dead ones, we've lost over 2000 in one night, and the maggots would cover them

But I will never eat turkey and rice!!!!!!

9. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Another turkey story - About ten years ago, my brother-in-law and I were coming home from deer hunting thru the lower mountains of the southern sierra on a paved road when we came around a blind corner at about 40mph and there was about 30 wild turkeys crossing the road. There was no time to stop and no way to steer around them. Right when we started into the flock they all jumped and hit my 4 wheel drive about grill high. I wouldn't have thought turkeys could cause that much damage to a truck, but they broke out the grill, headlight, radiator not to mention wrinkled the hood and bent the bumper. Looking back behind the truck right after the impact, the feathers were so thick in the air you couldn't even see the road. We got 12 of them. Never have been a big fan of turkeys ever since. I know it wasn't their fault but damn I loved that truck! Huntinandhotrods

10. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I worked in a Turkey Processing business for almost 20 years doing every job they had to offer when I started, the dirtier jobs paid a bit more, for a young man with a new car and a taste for beer those were good jobs.

Every so often there was a breeder farm that would bring us the older toms to process I remember the biggest I ever saw was 78 lbs dressed,Looked like a quarter of Pork.

Stll love to eat turkey, at the end we were doing over 20,000 head of 14 lbs hens a day.

11. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Wife's uncle got a hold of some of those huge breeder Toms one time. Well Dumbo me said hell yes I will take one of those. Dressed out at about 40 pounds. Well that was back in my sort of ornery days. I scrubbed up those turkey feet that were bigger than my hands and took them to Jeep in Toledo for show and tell. Well I listened to one of my buddies and we took them to the cafeteria and put them into an empty Vendo Mat slot! Should have seen the looks on peoples faces as they punched the button to spin the carosel and those huge trukey feet came into view. True story. Bill Oh by the way that turkey was tougher than twang leather!!

12. senior smoke

If I saw a 75 lb. turkey, I would be afraid that bird would attack me. They sound like they could be mean sob's.
    Steve

13. Catpower

Steve they just acted mean, when you would walk though them they would be right on your heels acting like they were going to whoop up on you but if you turned around they would act like they were looking in the air

Now loading them was a different story, not that they were trying to but they had some big leg spurs that could gouge the hell out of you

And really the huge ones were just as tender as the regular ones, but none of the ones we raised were over 5-6 months old

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.