1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

This affects Trapshooters for sale section

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Jerbear, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

This will directly affect trapshooters marketplace:

QUOTE:

"(t)(1) Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of this subsection and except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed dealer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed importer to complete the transfer of a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, if such transfer occurs-

"(A) at a gun show or event, on the curtilage thereof; or

"(B) pursuant to an advertisement, posting, display or other listing on the Internet or in a publication by the transferor of his intent to transfer, or the transferee of his intent to acquire, the firearm."

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply if-

"(A) the transfer is made after a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection (s), and upon taking possession of the firearm, the licensee-

"(i) complies with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the firearm from the licensee's business inventory to the unlicensed transferee, except that when processing a transfer under this chapter the licensee may accept in lieu of conducting a background check a valid permit issued within the previous 5 years by a State, or a political subdivision of a State, that allows the transferee to possess, acquire, or carry a firearm, if the law of the State, or political subdivision of a State, that issued the permit requires that such permit is issued only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession of a firearm by the unlicensed transferee would be in violation of Federal, State, or local law;

"(B) the transfer is made between an unlicensed transferor and an unlicensed transferee residing in the same State, which takes place in such State, if-
    "(i) the Attorney General certifies that State in which the transfer takes place has in effect requirements under law that are generally equivalent to the requirements of this section; and

"(ii) the transfer was conducted in compliance with the laws of the State;

"(C) the transfer is made between spouses, between parents or spouses of parents and their children or spouses of their children, between siblings or spouses of siblings, or between grandparents or spouses of grandparents and their grandchildren or spouses of their grandchildren, or between aunts or uncles or their spouses and their nieces or nephews or their spouses, or between first cousins, if the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe that the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm under Federal, State, or local law; or

"(D) the Attorney General has approved the transfer under section 5812 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

So basically, all sales of firearms that involve advertising of any kind would require an FFL.

Yeah..... Shotgunners weren't worried about Obama. Jeesh.....

Good luck in the for sale section.....

Jerbear

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

But Gene from Regards Iowa told us we have to give a little

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think you are reading a little more into the written words. If you read into these things with a non-political mindset, you tend not to see things that are not there. If you read it with the political mindset, you see exactly what you want to see, so you can be like the media you so hate. Spreading BS.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gerbil and Catlick

Now that you have brought up Iowa- lets talk about our reading requirements- you dont get out of 3rd grade unless you can read

You two would still be there

In less than five (5)seconds- I looked for and found the word "complete" as in complete a transaction

You cannot complete a transaction now unless it falls under the exceptions category

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Regards from Iowa

Gene

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

5. g7777777

Rick you forgot one

groan

"again"

LOL

But seriously we need as a shooting community to stop this type of false hysteria generating communications

Normal moderates look at people that do this as crackpots--- for a reason

And they dont like to associate with their politicss

In that context note the picture of Aprice - a Walmart awardee- who is being vetted to take a position of hysteria generation for the Obama reelection committee- only this time he is supporting Michelle and Hillary

You two along with Aprice are examples of Democratic party recruiters- unpaid
    gn7777777_2008_0303214.jpg

His reading skills are on a par with you two

6. Stl Flyn

I think the gun rack part of your statement is wrong. Unless it is a family relative. Any other gun transfer has to go through an FFL, to be legal of course. It has nothing to do with advertisement, or means of finding the gun of transfer.

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Reps. Peter King and Mike Thompson are planning to introduce a House version of the compromise on background checks for gun buyers on Monday or Tuesday, King told POLITICO exclusively on Friday.

“I will be introducing, along with Mike Thompson [D-Calif.], basically the House version of the Manchin-Toomey bill on Monday or Tuesday at the latest,” the New York Republican said, referencing the bipartisan agreement on background checks reached this week between Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.).

Gene there you go again......

I'll listen to the attorneys here in MI on another gun forum before I listen to Gene.

Jerbear

8. g7777777

Jerber-- well you dont have to listen to anyone-- what you posted is plain english

I know you mean well and hit you up with Catpower(which I should not have grouped you two together) but your inital post was just flat wrong

Gene

9. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

In the past 10 years or so I have rented tables at a gun show to sell guns. I do this to move guns I no longer use to get funds for some others I want. I know several others that do the same. Under this language (A) I take it this would no longer be legal as I am selling at a gun show and I do not have an FFL. Am I reading this correctly?
    Gene, Jerbear?

Joe

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

The quoted text in the OP will affect intra-state sales posted on TS, in magazines, swap sheets probably, etc. It will have no impact on "gun rack" sales at the club that are currently legal. It will have no impact on sales to someone from another state. It will impact gun shows in those areas that don't already require background checks.

11. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

In Wisconsin there is not a requirement for background checks for private sales at gun shows. As I understand the language in this new law it would require all purchases to have a background check at gun shows. Meaning I can no longer rent a table at a gun show and sell my privately owned firearms to another private individual. In this case Jerbear is correct, this does effect the shotgunners Obama told not to worry. This law also makes it illegal for an individual to sell shotguns over the internet to other private individuals from another state. Something I have also done in the past. So Jerbear is correct again.

Joe

12. Stl Flyn

90T

You can still rent a table, and sell your guns. You just have to transfer the guns through an FFL, which will do the background check prior to the transfer of the gun. At gun shows I am sure they will have designated FFL holders to do so. As far as the internet sales over state lines, nothing has changed. You have to obtain a copy of a local FFL to the buyer, and send it to the address on that FFL copy. The buyer then goes and picks up the gun after completing form 4473, and going through the call-in background check.

I seen in the recent Colorado legislation that the maximum amount for in State, face to face sales, non-FFL individuals, being charged by the FFL dealers, can not exceed $10. I did not see anything in the Federal proposal, for maximum amount charged for this service. I was skipping through the information. It may be there, or at least should be in my opinion. The amount of the maximum, I am not sure of.

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The problem with any new gun registration law is that it will be written by lawyers, reviewed by lawyers, and approved by politicians that are in majority, are lawyers as well.

I don't trust them, or their intentions (which usually is based upon their re-election instead of common sense)

14. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

What is a "firearm"?

15. bigfoot shooter

bigfoot shooter TS Member

Here in New York I'm being told, the FFL's can charge $10 for the BGC, and whatever they want for thier services. I have heard prices as high as $40 per transaction. Thanks to our elected officials!

16. Stl Flyn

Walk in transfers between two in-state resident individuals, maximum charge is $10.00, in the Colorado law for the service. There is no charge for the background check itself.

$20 for other out of state, to in-state residents is pretty cheap. That fee is open market.

17. Stl Flyn

If it is a federal law, fine, he can charge what he wants. The state law had in it that the maximum charge is $10.00.

I read it in the actual law papers that you posted. Do you have that copy still? Post the link for it please.

The fee you are paying is for the service! The call to the BATF for the background check, and the paperwork for the FFL dealer. The BATF does not charge for this. It may be possible that YOUR state charges for it, with state law, but it is not FEDERAL.

18. Stl Flyn

How much did your state charge for a transfer before? Do you have the copy of those new bills?

19. Stl Flyn

Did you read anywhere in those new bills, that the maximum charge for the new laws put in place, transfer SERVICE to be charged by the FFL dealer is $10.

20. g7777777

Why any FFL would deal with people in the public and have to supervise all the paperwork and inspections for 35 dollars I have no idea.

And some $35 dollar customers then want to return guns they received in the mail through some "deal" they made? or refuse to accept them?

Often a $35 dollar customer that isnt happy thinks he owns you - heck he paid his money didnt he/she? Normally just a he.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.