1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinning Tru Oil....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikepacific60, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikepacific60

mikepacific60 Member

Hello to all

Can anybody recommend a good thinner to mix with Tru Oil?

I don’t intend to use this as a stock finish – I only want a thin coating (with maximum penetration) to seal inside the foreend – especially under the foreend iron. I was thinking of mixing 50 / 50 Tru Oil & Gum Turpentine. Any better suggestions? Thanks Mike

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Mineral Spirits

3. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I thin it with Ronson's lighter fluid, it even helps it dry faster.
    Dick

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don't thin it. You are putting the finish on raw wood. It will soak in quickly. True Oil will require a few coats over raw wood to give adequate protection. A small can of polyurethane would do the job with one coat.

Pat Ireland

5. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

Factory said thin with unsented mineral spirits, they use it in airasoil cans, mixture 50/50. thanks Ronnie

6. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

Almost any thinner will work for your purpose. Pure gum turps is what I use for a visible finish. I like the sheen it adds. For the inside of the forearm, I'd use naptha as it will dry quicker. I would thin it and I would apply 2 or 3 coats on raw wood to seal it well. Also, rather than Tru Oil, I'd use a poly instead. If you use minwax, I would not thin it since it is so thin already. I would not use a water based product for this application because if there is some oil impregnation, you may have adhesion problems.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, if you forget to put the cap back on it (like I seem to have a habit of doing) the stuff thickens up in no time. A lil' mineral Spirits and I'm good to go.

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Mike, I've been down this road (and it's an interesting road). I want to hunt with my good iron & wood guns in/around salt-water.

I started with marine finish folks, and ended up talking with several companies, and was lucky enough to find a serious sea duck hunter at Pettit.

What you want is two cuts (70 & 50) of: Pettit Z Spar Captain's EZ Care No. 1016. Forearm, head of the stock, bolt-hole, butt ...

It is not a Spar Varnish, per se, although it has alkalyd and urethane resins, tung oil, etc. common to all the good 'long oil' varnishes, as it is designed to soak into the wood and not weather and wear as a varnish topcoat that penetrates a little: think swim platforms. It does not colour and and, the thinner costs more than the gloop does. And worth every penny.

It provides a great 'oil-barrier', too, and you can oil-finish (or poly, or Tru-) over it as it soaks into the wood fibers: no problem.

Bob

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you heat it up, that will thin it out with out adding anything to it ... The results are better if you heat it up for the first few coats and then use it out of the bottle and apply several coats for maximum protection ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. mikepacific60

mikepacific60 Member

Thanks to all, Cheers Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
air brushing tru oil
maximum penetration tru oil
thinning out tru-oil

thinning tru oil

thinning tru oil with gum turpentine
thinning tru oil with turpentine