1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking out loud - station 4 and 5 bugaboos.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Well, getting the 'feel' of the new BT-99 and loving it. Nylon washers now keep the adjustable comb where it belongs. GraCoil LP should be in anyday now and hope to have it mounted up within the next week. Excited here.

Shot four rounds yesterday. Did 'ok'..nothing great but settling into it. 19/18/17/18. What I started realizing thru the second round was that I'm dropping an inordinate amount of targets on stations 4 and 5....the right side. I'm right handed/right eye dominant. I'm holding below the top edge of the house before calling for targets so not discerning any blindspots during launch. 1 thru 3 I'm breaking 4 and 5 consistently then dropping the ball on the last two. Stupid things like stopping the gun and getting behind, shooting too quickly....things I'm immediately aware of once the shot is gone. I don't know if it's getting lacksadaisical after the first three good stations then settling back too much or targets coming out on my left side are throwing me somehow. Now it's like a mental block. I'm tightening up once i'm done with 3.

Just rolling this around in my head all day. If I could solve this bug I should be in the 20's consistently. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
    Bill

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

no more thinking

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Shoot 4 rounds from five. Have the trap set to all hard rights and shoot 25 from each post. Do the same for lefts. You'll never get good just screwing around. Start your practice sessions from all posts in random order.

4. Billster

Billster TS Member

Great suggestions (including 'no more thinking'...that's easy! HA!) Will get back out during the week when the range is empty and shoot strictly from the right for a while. Hap also suggested to stop arm-swinging and move entire upper body.

thanks.
    b

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

What JBrooks said.

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Almost every newer right handed shooter has a harder time on the right stations 4 and 5, than the other stations. It takes time and practice. It is easier to swing back to the left for a righty. Make sure you are not stopping your gun by bead checking or lifting your head. Open your stance to favor the right handed shot. The hard left from 5 is a straight away and you can get that one with no more turn left in your body. The other important tip is lower your gun inside the corner of the house. You get more speed going into the house more rather than cheating outside the corner, which is the next thing you'll try to do wrong. Concentrate all your focus on the leading edge fo the target and nothing else. Do not look at that gun barrel or bead.

Don't worry- it won't be long until you're missing the straight aways.

all the best,
    john

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

First off, the BT-99 is very muzzle lite. It moves fast. One of the hardest lessons I learned was to slow down the gun a bit if you want to break targets.
    If you get your left hand in too close, it seems to move even faster. Try streaching you left hand out a bit. The farther you are forced to move the left land, the slower the gun action. Don't be afraid to lock the machine and practice your problem, have a good shooter work with you to help spot problems. Just remember, all the advice you get is worth just what you paid for it! Get a good coach or sign up for one of the better clinics. You'll be farther ahead in the long run.

Big Jack

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Big Jack, I wonder why that is true?

"If you get your left hand in too close, it seems to move even faster."

My guess is, pushing or pulling the gun with more leverage, making it faster moving laterally?

Another question on this one.

"The farther you are forced to move the left land, the slower the gun action."

May the correct answer be it's harder to push or pull the gun with the leading hand extended so far out?

Regardless of a shotguns weight within reason, for trap guns, if the shotgun was moved with your upper body, with the shotgun in a locked position, would one still swing a light gun way too fast? Or, would it matter that much at all? Hap

9. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I start pulling the trigger as soon as the barrel touches the middle of the target, by the time the trigger is actually pulled, there is enough lead to break the target.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I see a major problem with several of the above posts. The discussion of arm movement and force required to move the gun are out of place. Your arms should never move the gun. The arms and upper body must remain as a fixed unit and all movement needs to be restricted to the waist or below the waist.

If all movement of the gun comes from the waist or below, than the placement of the forward are should only affect the balance, not the movement, of the gun.

Pat Ireland

11. Billster

Billster TS Member

Shot four rounds this a.m. all at 4 and 5. It's a public range but was lucky to have the place to myself and the puller/instructor set up all hard rights and worked with me for two hours. Started out breaking maybe 1-2 birds each 5 shots. Then started missing them ALL. Stopping gun, coming up short. He called attention to where i'm pulling the trigger - the bird isn't 10 feet out of the trap and i'm blasting away. at one point i started moving the gun before the target was even launched! Illustrated that by launching late after i called. another instructor mosied over and had me change my hold spot on the house....lower and more crossed but turning my stance more to the right so i was more comfortable swinging the gun totally to the right. both eyes open! launch - WATCH the target then move the gun and I started breaking them further out on the flightpath...and consistently. My last round broke 23 at 4 and 5 of all hard right targets. PHEW! So....it was a comglomeration of things going on...not one simple problem. Feel much better now. Thanks again for all the responses. Great site/people here.

....and WHAT THE HELL IS IT WITH THOSE STRAIGHTAWAYS. That's the next thing to figure out!

Cheers
    Bill

12. Billster

Billster TS Member

rereading my post.....last round was 18/25! shouldn't talk on the phone while typing.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Thankfull to get some PRACTICE time. Im bugging to get a practice day. My wife could use some station target angle work.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Your left hand should not control the swing. Control is from your right hand (trigger hand) The left hand is for balance. Both issues are discussed on Kiner's and Remington's DVD. The body should twist at the torso, much like a tank. On station 4 and 5 shift your strong focus for right hand targets. You have plenty of time for the rest of the targets.

15. Billster

Billster TS Member

headed over to get that rem. dvd.

b

16. Billster

Billster TS Member

thanks. really started 'feeling' the eyes following the target then hands today. it made it logic instead of just instinct snapping it out there and blam.

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

The answer to your question about "what is it about those straight aways?" is easy. Problem is lifting your head. Always has been and always will be the problem on straight aways. Jake

18. Billster

Billster TS Member

'Back in the day' when I first started out ('60/61) and thru the 60's the thinking was get on it quick while it's on the rise before it peaks. Once it peaks it's lost because you can't hit a fallingfloating target. That thinking persisted when I returned now to trap. The target launches and this little 'panic' bell goes off in my noggin that says "get it...get it....get it..." Once i concentrated on the eyes/target/hands found i had much more time.

straightaways - i'm shooting over them thinking they're rising into the shot. they don't... hmm.

b

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Pat: In a perfect situation yes, your movement to target should be from the body not the arms. But if you stand back and observe shooters, you will see that an awful lot of them combine both body & arm action to move to targets. No, it's not 100% correct but it does work for a lot of them. My last statement was to find a good coach and enroll in a good clinic. Long range diagnosis of someones problem is impossible. And as I've said before, "Advice is worth just what you pay for it" if you get it for nothing, that's usually what it is worth. A good coach will take you back to the basics as another above mentioned. It's got to be approached in a 1,2,3,4 manner. Can't start with 4 and have learned anything of 1,2,&3.
    Good luck, break 'em all

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.