1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of upgrading press...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Is there any other press, other than MEC, that inserts primers by pushing the hull onto the primer, rather than pressing the primer into the hull? My MEC 9000 is being cranky and I'm thinking of upgrading. But I only load AA hulls and am concerned about the base wad issue. I've never had a problem and would like to keep it that way.

Bruce

2. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Hornady 366. It's a way better machine than the Mec, you'll know it the minute you pull the lever and it presses the fully suported hull base onto the primer...no dished bases.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bruce- The base wad issue has long been resolved by Winchester and the possible lose base wad issue was greatly overstated. I would not let this issue influence a press selection. MEC is a fine machine, I like the Horniday 366 a little more. I have gone to PW presses and am very happy with them. I was not favorably impressed with the Dillon I owned for a short time and I have not yet owned a Spolar.

Joe likes the leverage on his RCBS press but my PW takes around 6 ounces of force to operate. It might even take less if I lubricate the foot pedal that operates the hydraulic system.

Pat Ireland

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

capvan:

I have used MEC's for over 35 years and have a new 9000 on order. After all this time I am not ready to learn all of the tricks and adjustments of another machine. My MEC Grabber and Sizemaster load a fine shell.

With regards to the depriming station, I keep the depriming tool from an old Lee loader handy and if a primer refuses to back out at the end of a down stroke, I simply insert the tool into the hull in the depriming station and hit the back end with a wrench or the flat side of a pliers.

You may want to look for a small metal rod that serves the same purpose. I would find a rod that will pass through the primer hole, build up sufficient plastic electricians tape around the rod to center the rod in the empty shell and cut it to a length so that you can use it on your MEC.

I have gotten good service out of that old Lee loader. I use the deprimer to knock out stubborn primers, the primer seater as a wad-knocker-outer and the # 10 scoop to fill up my black powder volume measure. It has found a home in a bottle of Pyrodex RS.

Ed Ward

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Been loading on my MEC 650 for 35 years. May not be the fastest but I'm 100% pleased with the quality and the output. It's never let me down. There's no reason to upgrade. BT-100dc

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Pretty sure the Spolar and PW push the hull down onto the primer. The primer is stationary.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

My 9000 got a little cranky as well. Took it apart cleand and relubed using 90 wt gear oil, reassembled and readjusted and it is now working like new. Mec will do it for you if yor not tool handy. Jake

8. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

On a Spolar the hull is NOT pushed down on the primer.The primer is NOT stationary.On a Spolar the primer is pushed up to the hull,thus base wad thickness means absolutly nothing in the reloading process...KS-OKIE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.