1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of trying 7/8 oz. 12 gauge.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3dram8, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I've been shooting 1 ounce loads for quite a while already, and now I'm thinking of trying some 7/8 oz. loads for skeet and 16 yard. It would seem that one would want to use a fast-burning powder to keep pressure fairly high for a good, clean burn and consistant velocity & performance. Have any of you done any research or testing along these lines? Is my thinking to use a fast powder for these light payload shells a good idea? Thanks for the help! ....Rick

2. oz

oz Active Member

clays. oz

3. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

700-X

Larry

4. ansvel

ansvel Member

I use for 7/8 Red Dot 18gr will make ~1200fps.
    Much less recoil vs. 1 or 1 1/8.

5. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use 18 grains of Clays with Claybuster Lightning wad in STS hull, federal primer for 1250 fps. Shoots very soft.

Eric

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

18.7 gr Red Dot or 18.4 gr Promo, AA12L wad, AA209 and AA hulls. Can use cheaper Claybuster 12SL clone as well as the Winchester pink 12SL in place of the AA12L.

Same powder with Nitro/STS hulls with CB2100 (12SO clone)wads, STS primers. Can use Remington TGT12 wads but more expensive.

7. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

In the STS hull, the grey claybuster wad, 7/8 oz of 8s, 17.5 gr. of Green Dot, and the Federal 209-A primer.

In a 32" bbl, it generates 1200 fps and from the 16 it is as effective as anything else I have shot and recoil is minimal. I usually break targets at 35 to 40 yds.

Shot to shot variation runs about 35 fps. (chronographed)

8. washandwear

washandwear Member

AA Hull, Fed 209A primer, 17grs Red Dot, 1oz Winchester Pink Wad, 7/8oz hard 8s
    thru a full choke will give you 1225fps and make smoke.

9. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    I've been shooting 7/8 oz. for about 10-12 yrs, now, and hardly ever go heavier anymore for 16-20 yd. trap or skeet. 16.6 gr. of clays makes a very soft load that you can shoot all day long. Not much of a shot string to them, but pattern pretty well. I use the pink claybuster 1oz. wad, and Win. primers in a AA or Gun Club hull. I like the 1oz. wad because I feel the shot cup petals keep a tighter pattern. They are alot of fun to shoot from 27yds. too. They make my brother nervous as all get out when he's backing me up in protections!! But, I feel that if you're not getting bumped off the stock shooting 3 dram eq. or even hot 1oz. loads, you have a better chance of getting that bird. I have grown to despise recoil, and going to 7/8 oz. has been a blessing. I'm even experimenting with 3/4 oz. 12ga. loads for skeet. I have shot a few of them, and they crunch skeet targets pretty nice. There is absolutetly no recoil with those! I will go to using the 7/8 wad with a felt insert to bring the shot level up to make a good crimp. It seems that there are some people out there that are putting the sqeeze on us reloaders with lead prices and all, and going light may be the only way poor folks can still shoot. Good luck to you!! Patrick Fitzjarrald

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You're right on with the fast powder and with keeping the internal pressure up for consistency. While I can't measure the pressure situation, I've chronographed 7/8 oz loads with Clays and 700X and I've seen that staying above 1200 fps more in the 1220 fps range or so will give excellent consistency from the speed point of view. With less powder than descirbed below, the velocity consistency will begin to drop off and I have to guess it's the internal pressure that fails.

Mine are 7/8 oz of 9s (but wouldn't hesitate to use 8s), old AA or STS hulls, the AA12L or it's CB clone wads, Winch. or Cheddite primers, and 16.7 gr. (minimum) of 700X or 17 to 17.2 gr. of Clays. These have been stellar performers at skeet and have produced a few 100s at 16 yards. They also do well on the 1st shot of doubles and will break the 2nd shot if you point at it. I also use it happily for close in sporting and 5 stand shots. I started a very good sporting-shooting neighbor on them and he considers his 7/8 oz of 8s with 18 gr. of Clays his "magic load" for nearly every shot on the field.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. vaguru

vaguru Member

I too have been shooting 7/8 oz loads for 4 years now. I use 16.7 grs Promo, Claybuster 1100-12 wad, AA, Gun Club or STS case and either a W209, Nobel Sport or Fed 209A primer with hard 8's or 8 1/2's. The 8 1/2's really puff a target. My chrono clocks 1240-1255 fps depending on primer. Patterns out of my guns yield 76% with IM tube at 40 yds. I would rather use pellet count though, and find they hold up well to 1 oz, and even some 1 1/8 oz loads, in my guns. You may want to use one choke tighter than you use for the heavier loads. I find that most of the "extra" shot in the heavier loads don't go in the pattern, and a good deal of it never even makes the patterning paper (40" sq). I'm sure as mentioned previously, that keeping all the shot in the cup helps. I'm also guessing that there is less deformation to the shot due to the lighter payload moving easier/faster. They sure are fun to shoot though as the recoil is negligible, especially with my PFS stock. Feels like shooting an AR-15.

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

My international trap (bunker) load works great for american trap all the way back to the 27.

20gr clays, fed gold medal hull, 12SO wad and 7/8 oz of 7.5 shot. fast load and clean burning.

13. DOBER01

DOBER01 TS Member

STS, win primer, claybuster grey 7/8 oz.18 gr red dot. 8 shot. The increase in speed matches my timing. Scores went up. Hardly ever miss behind bird,

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have used 24 grams in the 12 for many years. I like loads around 1350 with the faster powders to keep pressures up.

I load 21 gr of REX I or Solo 1000. Solo is hard to beat for ANY target load. I first tried REX for price, but it is a GREAT powder.

Red Dot also makes a FABULOUS 24 gram powder. Don't load down to low pressures. You will not get consistent performance at black powder pressures.

Try to keep your loads near 9000 PSI. This works year round. No cold weather bloopers.

15. psfive

psfive Member

7/8 oz works as well as anything from 16. My son makes rocks disappear. 18.4 Clays, Nobel primer, Downrange 7/8 wad in Remington STS, Gun Club or Winchester AA hull. No recoil no duds no dirt. Paul

16. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I shoot a lot of 7/8 oz loads. Usually with Solo1000.

17. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Thanks a lot for all this great info! I appreciate it. ....Rick

18. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I have been using 700x for several years,accidently took a box of 7/8oz out to the 27 yd line to shoot protectors,and didnt relise it till I was done,andbroke just as many as i did with 1-1/8oz loads...(and no I am not a bad shot either ) LOL

19. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Sammy, I had a similar experience when I just started shooting trap as a teen. It was a handicap event under the lights, and the only gun I had at the time was Browning Superposed field model with 28" barrels choked IC & Mod. I was nicely chipping away getting 2, 3, and 4-piece breaks from the 20-yard line, and wound up with a 97. I got a punch and no money (I didn't know anything about purses or options so I didn't play any). One of the guys there said I should get a gun with a little tighter choke in the top barrel so I'd break the birds a little better. Well, believe it or not, I shot the whole event with the BOTTOM barrel - IMP CYL because I didn't know any better! ....Rick

20. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

I like 7/8 of 8 1/2's pellet count is up there - keep them 1200-1250 fps they work great - J Mroczka

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.