1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of starting to make my own lead shot???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mt92, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt92

mt92 Member

I have secured a source for wheel weights and was thinking of buying or making a shot making setup.
    Does anyone have any opinions on what works best, or have something to sell??

2. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I wouldn't buy anything until I had enough lead to pay for it.

3. mt92

mt92 Member

I have 2 very good sources for wheel weights.

4. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I tend to agree with Jerry P. Keep in mind that in this environmentally correct world the auto industry is going away from use of lead wheel weights & instead are using Zinc. You have to be careful not to mix the zinc in the lead. Ford has already switched to zinc & by law in a couple years even the tire shops must change over to zinc. Some of the lead shot makin' guys can tell you more about the use of zinc. I cast pistol bullets only but still have to watch for the zinc stuff. Colonel

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Lately talked to my tire guy and he said that the zinc wheel weights were not working out too well. I belueve he mentioned that they were not staying on the rim very well. It would be nice to see the industry stay with the lead. Anyone else hear of this phenomenom?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. DJM

DJM Member

There are plenty of old threads on this subject that can be retrieved. Reading them convinced me the shot makers were not a good idea. It surely does not appear to be a "plug and play" process.

7. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

not only are they not staying on but they are also twice as expensive as lead weights,i would wait untill you have 10-15 5 gal buckets full,15 buckets of weights collected in the last year should yield 1000 lbs of shot,there will be alot of junk,and thats one thing i like to do before casting ingots is get the strip,zink,and steel weights out first. no sense in wasting heat,and space on the junk,and zink will melt but it takes a couple hundred degrees moore to do so,so watch your melting temp(650 tops) and the missed junk weights will float to the top.mark

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

For a shot maker get he BEST SHOTMAKER. They are 220 and work alot better then 110.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Making shot can be a great hobby that is a lot of fun. You can save a little money but I would only recommend it if you believe getting a little dirty, smelling up a work area, burning the back of your hand with molten lead and making things is fun. There is a learning curve. It seems that tow shot makers can do exactly the same thing and come out with different results. It can be a lot of fun. Do it for the fun, not the possible money you might save. If money is the goal, get a night job at McDonald's-- you will probably come out better.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.