1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of moving to Idaho

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blizzard, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Hello all. My work may be taking me and the family to Idaho in the near future. We would be relocating to the Idaho Falls area. My sons are 4 yrs. and 8mos. Anyone on the forum that lives in this area, or ever has, that would like to share their thoughts and experiences it would be greatly appreciated.

We all enjoy the outdoors, so I figure that helps with the transition.

Thank You very much!

Brett D.

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Brett,

I shoot with some of those guys down there. Great bunch..A bit breezy from time to time, but like I said, Great Bunch.

Rickyd in Mt

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. Any idea on the property and school taxes in the Id. Falls area?

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Its cold in the winter time- lol

They do have yuppie areas there-

Spend time there before you buy anything- or rent anything long term- in fact if you can just rent for the summer and maybe fall- and then decide what you want to do

Homes are much more negotiable in the winter time if you are buying

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. SteveT

SteveT Member

I live in the area and work in Idaho Falls. Moved here three years ago. Least expensive place that I have lived and I have been all over (Texas, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Missouri). Several trap and mixed use clubs in the area. State shoot will be 45 minuteas South of Idaho Falls in Pocatello this year. Weather is not that bad, it is windy though. Bring your "A" game if you are planning to shoot as the shooters in the area are a bit better than you normally see at local club shoots. Not uncommon to have three All Americans show up for a local shoot with 50 to 80 shooters. More legitimate 27 yard shooters than you might be used to.
    Steve Taylor

6. BMC

BMC Member

Steve, I'm sure Brett would like to know and I would like to know as well (my son moved to Hansen out side of Twin Fall) and he would like to find out what trap ranges there are in that part of the state, particularly ranges that host ATA events. Thanks.

7. SteveT

SteveT Member

Twin Falls (ATA and PITA), Pocatello (ATA), Idaho Falls (ATA)are a few. He can go to the ATA web site and they have a new listing for "shoots near me" all he has to do is plug in his zip code.
    Steve Taylor

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Yeah, I checked out the ATA site yesterday. Seemed to me that most of the smaller clubs are all bunched into the NW part of the state, Then in the SE you have Pocatello and Skyline. There might of been a couple of smaller ones more South central, and if my terrible memory serves me there was one right outside Id. Falls.

I'm used to wind. The club I greww up at is on the highest point in Wyoming Cty., in Western NY. The traps face east, and there is a perpetual wind from the west. They might dive or rocket to the sky, you never know.

Any idea on carry laws? I know that there is a large Mormon pop., any dry counties?

Thanks Again.

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

As you might guess, I live in the Pocatello area, fifty miles south of Idaho Falls. I moved here in 1984, and would not live anywhere else other than Montana or Wyoming.

Weatherwise, Idaho Falls averages a little colder than Pocatello, typically about four or five degrees. It's a few minutes before 8 AM as I write this and the thermometer in my back yard is reading about 5. It's hard to read it through the frost. Both Pocatello and IF sit on the edge of the Snake River plain, a high desert area just under 5000 feet in elevation. Precipitation averages around 10"-12" per year. Humidity is usually low so bugs, particularly mosquitoes and fleas, are not a problem. Although it is cold in the winter you'll get lots of glorious sunshine. Summers are dry and hot, usually around 90, but an occasional day about 100.

In my opinion the K-12 schools are a little better in IF than Pocatello. This observation is based on over a dozen years administering a national mathematics competition for all of Idaho. Pocatello is home for Idaho State University, with a major branch campus in Idaho Falls. The University of Idaho also has some faculty and offers some science and engineering graduate programs at the facility shared with ISU in IF. UI, ISU, Boise State University, and the Idaho National Laboratory are partners in the new Center for Advanced Energy Studies in Idaho Falls. Finally, Idaho Falls is also home to Eastern Idaho Technical College, with two-year technical programs. By the time your sons are old enough to consider college, this may be important to you.

Home prices are a little higher in IF than Pocatello or other smaller communities nearby, but still quite modest compared to many other places in the country. The prices also have not crashed nearly as hard as many other places. We have not heard as much about foreclosures here as I read about elsewhere. As an example my house is about 12 years old, 3600 square feet, large fenced yard with sprinklers, three bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, living room, laundry, library, and two and a half baths upstairs. The master bedroom has a huge walk-in closet, and master bath has two full sinks and vanities, a huge jacuzzi tub, and separate shower. Downstairs is fully finished with two bedrooms, kitchen, bath, large family room, laundry, a storage room, and my reloading room. The house has central air. If I were to sell the market value would probably be under $250 K. I'm amazed when I see the prices when my wife watched HGTV.

The economy here is hurting, but not much compared to much of the rest of the country. IF is usually one of the lowest areas of the State in unemployment. Pocatello runs a little higher. Right now I think IF is under 5%, Pocatello a little higher. The State Legislature is in session right now, and working on cutting State budgets to align with reduced revenues. They are talking about a cut near 10%, but we (I work for ISU) are planning for 12%. State revenue is generated by a State income tax, and a sales tax at 6%.

Outdoor recreation is one of the big attractions of the area, including hunting, fishing, skiing, white-water rafting, camping, hiking, mountain biking, etc., etc., etc. From IF you are about two hours to Yellowstone or Grand Teton National Parks. It's an easy day's drive to the Utah National Parks (Bryce, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef), or Glacier in Montana. To qualify as an Idaho resident for hunting or fishing purposes you'll have to be here for six months.

As for shooting, the best trap club in the area is Pocatello. We plan six ATA shoots this year - next weekend, March, April, the State Shoot in May, June, July, and August. The Skyline Gun Club west of Idaho Falls has been pretty much suborned by the sporting clays crowd, and may not even have trap shoots this year. As Steve mentioned Twin Falls holds both ATA and PITA shoots. Wood River near Sun Valley holds a PITA shoot each year. Boise (about 300 miles from IF) and Caldwell (30 miles west of Boise) hold both ATA and PITA shoots. There are also nice shoots out of State. Dillon, MT (about 140 miles north of IF) and Butte, MT (200 miles north), Brigham City, UT (150 miles south), Ogden, UT (170 miles south), Magna/SLC, UT (210 miles south), and Spanish Fork, UT (250 miles south) all are within range. All of these latter shoots are on the I-15 corridor, an Interstate with a 75 mph speed limit on most of it.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

Larry Ford

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Yes, much of eastern Idaho is heavily LDS. Pocatello is less so, Idaho Falls a little more, and many of the smaller communities much more. That being said, there are no dry counties, although some areas restrict Sunday sales. Even Rexburg, home of Brigham Young University - Idaho, has a tavern or two.

Concealed carry requires a permit, issued through the county sheriff. I've never applied, but hear they are not too hard to get. One of my sons has one.

Skyline is the club to the west of Idaho Falls, located on the north side of US 20 about where it turns from four lanes to two.

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

And the Democratic Senator voted AGAINST the stimulus package. I would probably like Idaho.

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

We don't have a Democratic Senator. We do have a freshman Democrat from the first congressional district (west Boise and north), Walt Minnick, and he did vote against the stimulus bill.

Curvy, I think Idaho would probably like you too, at least this Idahoan would.

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Good place to relocate; how long is it going to take to become as liberal as the northeast or north central states; then we can only predict how long from then and we'll be like the west coast? Darrell

14. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Blizzard, you don't mean you shoot at 5 point rod and gun club do you? I live about 2 miles from there. Great place to shoot in the morning.lol
    keep shooten Fran

15. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Larry,

What kind of weather do you have on order for the State shoot? I also need a camper spot....can you take care of that for me?

Rick in Mt.

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Larry, thanks for the correction. Look forward to shooting in Idaho one day. Maybe I'll see you at the Kansas State shoot, the Missouri Fall HC, or the Grand. I'll be at all 3 this year.

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Rick, send a check made out to PTC, PO Box 2091, Pocatello, ID 83206, $10 per night, and I'll get you a spot. That is unless you don't need hookups - for that, no charge. Weather - just like Great Falls, could be nice, could be snow, sometimes all on the same weekend. And as our President, Randy Adams, always says, "The wind is your friend!"

Devy, I hope to meet you someday too, and Martin. Maybe Missouri this year, but probably not Kansas or the Grand.

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

That's me Fran. Mornings on the hill have been rough on a lot of folks! Actually heading up there in a little while.

By looking outside the winds have got to be gusting to 40mph.- I'm not even bringing the gun. It'll be more fun watching others suffer. Are you a member at 5PT.?

19. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Blizzard, no I'm not a member of 5pt but I have shot there a lot over the years. Shooting the GVTL and the scrap shoots we used to have with Batavia RG and Medina sc. That was a long time ago. During the summer on Wed. nights shot a lot of skeet for fun. Have a nice day.
    Keep Shooten FRAN

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Idaho has some of the most beautiful country you'll ever lay eyes on!! Around every bend, on the northern panhandle roads, is a postcard quality photo waiting to be taken! Great hunting and fishing too, I love it and would live there in a heartbeat but for my health problems.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.