1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of giving up the home phone

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Thinking of losing the home and going strictly cellular, save myself about $50.00 a month, please give me your opinions. Who else has done this, let me know.

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

20% have given up their land lines.
    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/snip-nearly-one-fifth-of-homes-have-no-landline/

3. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Several of my friends are going to strictly cellular. Local number portability allows you to use your home phone number on your cell phone. In addition, Vtech makes a makes an expandable four handset cordless phone system with cellular connection through bluetooth technology. It allows you to pair up to 4 cell phones to the system. I purchased the Vtech system at Cosco. Kim

4. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Did it two years ago---should have done it 5 years ago.
    Bob

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Haven't had a land line in years and see no reason to have one.

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Been totally wireless since 1999. Got my first cell phone 1n 1n 1984---it was a Mobira weighed over 20 lbs,used to sit on the floor of my vehicle, carried it with a shoulder strap, battery life was about 30 minutes (unplugged) rate was a $1.00/min.

Phil Berkowitz

7. dink

dink Member

I have kept my landline phone due to 911. If you need 911 and your cell goes dead or you hang up, dispatchers do not know where you are at. They can give a general area. On a landline phone when the last digit is dialed, the dispatchers have an address.

8. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

32 years in the business. If you knew what I do you might hesitate on cutting it off. I certainly can understand ones thinking for wanting to save money. Think I will wait until I see some more advances in cellular services. Also remember no cellular company is any better than the local phone company as they use most of the network to feed their cell sites.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

When cell phones become as clear, trouble free and reliable as land lines I might consider that option. Until then I'll stay with good old Ma Bell.

Eric

10. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I work for T-mobile and we have a product that I use at home. It is called simply T-mobile@home. This is not for everyone, you must have a high speed modem, such as DSL or cable. The number is linked through a wireless router in your home, kinda like WIFI..High speed on your wireless laptop and all..Works good for me. Dropped my AT&T home phone (but kept the same number) 911 still locates your home address.. AND, now with the E911 services from the wireless carriers, they (we) can pinpoint a cellular customer who dials 911 down to 3 meters from where you hit the send key. Your phone can even loose its battery, you have been logged into the servers, and emergency services dispatch to the location where you made the 911 call.. Easy-Peasy!

LarryB
    (aka TMOBILE)

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Besides our cell phones I use Comcast for land line cable TV, and internet, but I just got a offer to go back to Verizon for the home phone. $24.95 per month unlimited anywhere in the US and they guarantee the rate will never go up.

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

If you live in a small apartment it's fine, but if you live in a 4 bedroom multi level house it's difficult.

13. Mikr101

Mikr101 Member

I have been without an landline for about 8 years and havn't had any issues.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have used cell phones with no land line for years. The only drawback would be if you need a landline for internet. I use cable internet so it creates no problem. We have two phones, two seperate numbers same account. Cost is $119 and we can talk anytime as long as we want to anywhere. I sometimes talk to my family 2300 miles across country for hours on end every day and the bill is always the same. No extra chgs for anything. THe real plus is you never miss a call because the phone is always in my pocket

15. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have, with the unlimited minutes and my whole family being on the same service I have no need for a home phone.

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've thought about it and our son hasn't had a landline for two years without having a problem or not receiving a call that matters that he is aware of. But I have Verizon's "bundled" package with CEL phone and landline phone, Internet and TV through their FIOS service and it could possibly cost us more if we drop the landline.

We currently pay about $175 a month for two CEL lines with 400 minutes of shared use, unlimited landline local and long-distance, 100mb/s Internet, four TV set-top boxes and one HDTV box. I also have a second landline just for a FAX machine I might use five times a year that costs me $21.00 a month (but it's damned convenient when I do need it).

Having read what I typed above, I guess it might make sense to drop some of that...

Ed

17. englishupland

englishupland Member

I just went back to landline...I went to minimum package for the cell phone and got an unlimited landline account...I prefer it

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What's the way around the phone line for your Dish network?

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Magic Jack...

a few of my buddies swear its the next best thing to sliced bread!

regards,

Jay

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I had Magic Jack for a while but gave it up as it was not very clean sounding and low level on the receiving end plus you had to have your computer on to make and receive calls. As an emergency line it might be ok but you have to make sure it will connect up to your 911 service, never could get it to do that here.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.