1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a used 366 reloader? Read this

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I did earlier this year. Paid 300 with the shipping included. The press is an older one. Pacific make. Its all there and for the most part works just fine. BUT, after using it now for about 5000 rounds I'd say a person is better off buying a new one for 550 bucks. By the time you back up the machine with replacement parts ( about 100 bucks) you might as well get a new one. Now, if you can pick up one of these for 200 or less in real good shape I'd say you made out. These are great loaders. And I wouldn't want a person to not own one. It's just that you're wasting your money buying a used one that's older than a couple years old for anything over 200 bucks. Jim

2. Craig12

Craig12 TS Member

I bought a used 366 on this thread. Had trouble with primmer drop tube and a few other things. But I called Hornady for the parts and they sent them to me for free, so you shouldnt have had to spend that money. I had read that several time on here and they right, just call them next time.

3. Joe O

Joe O Member

I'm with 85TTR on this, Who are you talking to at Hornady that is giving away parts? Don't get me wrong I've been using a 366 since the 70's, have four of them in different gauges and love them but when I've needed something I paid for it, I never remember getting a single part for free. Tell us the secret to these "free" parts PLEASE!
    Joe O

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I think you overpaid for a Pacific. My friend bought a more recent Hornady for $225.

If you start at $300 and add the updates like universal primer seating ram, shot and powder shut-off, auto shell advance, finished shell eject, swing-out wad guide, primer shut-off, you could easily exceed the new press price.

The key to a good deal on these machines is to get a later one with some of these upgrades already done, at a reasonable price.

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I sent one in and had it rebuilt w/updates for 185.00. Came back like brand new. Bill

6. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Bill I'll call Hornaday and ask what i'd cost for mine to be rebuilt. Right now I've got a list of parts picked out at Midway that's over 137 bucks. Aside from my shipping costs having Hornaday 'tune' it up might be the way to go. BTW, I ran into that nice lady at Hornaday a few weeks back and she sent me a free pawl for my used press. And, I'm keeping her name ALL to myself. lol Jim

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I had bought mine used over 25 years ago with components for $200 and I got a good deal . Still using it and I had to purchase a few parts but they were very reasonable . I also sold a few for friends to friends and members and everyone was satisfied . Talked another member into buying one off TS.com and it didn`t come as expected and a call to Hornady came the parts that were missing and also the Tec support was great to get it functioning . For the price on these machines whether new or used , you just can`t beat them . I love going down the basement and just sitting there loading with it whether I have to or not .

8. sasquach

sasquach Member

Started with a 366. Then 'upgraded" to PW. Big mistake. The Hornady has a few idiosyncrasys, but I can load faster with it than the PW. The PW, in my opinion is way over rated. When it breaks, and it will, get your wallet out. The Hornsdy rarely breaks, and when it does I have yet to hear them say,"oh, that is designed to break." The 366 is a relativly simple machine and easy to adjust. I think it also makes a better shell due to the taper crimp being a separate stration rather than trying to crimp the shell and put the taper on in one operation as the PW does. The 366 has been around for a long time with very few changes. PW makes changes all the time and you can't even get parts for the older ones. I bought another used 366, spent about 50 bucks on a tune up, and never looked back.

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I own three 366's...and have since the late 70s when they first came out.

I've NEVER had an issue with service. A couple times I've gotten parts for free - usually small ones like pawls - and a couple of times I've paid.

I sure wouldn't buy my parts from Midway - their "fair shipping" will eat you alive since the stuff you're buying is likely heavy. You'd be a lot better off calling hornady and getting the same parts, I'll bet.

Anyway...you're right. They're great loaders. I've just never had an issue with one, other than buying the hydraulic assist. That was a colossal waste of money...they took it back, no questions asked, however.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Allows you to change hulls without changing the primer seater ram depth.

If, like me, you never use anything but one brand of hull, it really doesn't do you any good.

But if you switch between AA's and Remingtons, for example, its handy.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Also, recommend you get the bent handle. i think basicdesignmachine.com has them.

Handy item.
    [​IMG]

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Timb...

I've been looking at the bent handle....what does it do for you? I've been wondering about getting one.

What's the advantage?

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jeff

Just seems more comfortable on the shoulder and elbow. Gets your hand a little further from your body.

I like it a LOT more than the old straight handle, and also better than the handle with the ball.

14. tulsey

tulsey Member

I just ordered a few parts for my 366. While on the phone with Hornady the technical rep tried to understand my question about the advance and I don't think we communicated very well about a problem I am having with the auto advance. I have replaced the paw and spring, but it still does not seem to advance reliably. The start and stop points are fine, but I sometime have to lift up on the paw to get it to engage into the shell plate. The tech suggested I might have a bent shellplate. It did not look bad to me, but maybe that is the problem. Sometimes it will work just fine for while and then I have to fiddle with the paw screw and it will work fine for a while. Just seems like I am doing something wrong or it needs that little lift on the outside of the paw to get it to engage better. Any like experiences? I use the one with the auto advance for 20 and 12. The older manual one is used for 28 and .410

15. sasquach

sasquach Member

I have never used one of the auto advance 366's. It sounded like a good idea when I first saw it, but after talking to several people that have them, it doesn't seem like it was one of Hornady's better ideas. It's like any thing else, the more complicated you make any thing, the more trouble you will have with it. The auto advance is a cure for a problem that did not really exist.

16. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

After all of this discussion about the 366,no wonder I use a Hustler. I had a 366,bought brand new. Loaded great shells & was very fast. The one serious problem was a guy had to load one brand/style only. ie;AA,STS,GM.. Set it up,watch it fly. But don't try to go from plastic taper to paper to plastic straight wall.

17. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

the hydraulic advance - whatever you want to call it, it runs on a piston like the one that holds up the hatchback on a car - was an attempt by hornady to appeal to the MEC users. MEC users have a hard time getting used to the little "hitch" you have to have on the upstroke so the primer can drop.

Any 366 user knows exactly what I mean...but every MEC user just slams the handle up and lets the plate rotate, and that works fine for them. But you can greatly increase your speed without the auto advance system.

Tulsey, it does sound like a bent shell plate to me, too. Once in a while I have to tighten the pawl screw - by hand, too lazy to get an allen wrench out and do it right, LOL - but I don't have a problem, ever, with advancing. Could it be that your shell plate is too tight? Or that you have crap under the plate?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.