1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Thinking of buying a Spolar??? Elect or hydraulic?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Roberts, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I'm thinking of buying a Spolar with the hydraulic please give
    me your pro and cons.
    I have a 800+ now and I haven't been happy with it. (probably just me)

Thx Bill
  2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

I own two-one with hydro and one with handle. I've already owned every PW made since 1973. I have no desire to go backwards to any others. OK, maybe a missed primer once and awhile but easily seen!!
  3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

I own two-one with hydro and one with handle. I've already owned every PW made since 1973. I have no desire to go backwards to any others. OK, maybe a missed primer once and awhile but easily seen!!
  4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Owned every P/W... same as above. Get the Spolar with hydro and never look back. Ocassional missed primer [1 out of 1,000]. Love my Spolar! Fred
  5. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Ditto you will not regret the Spolar
  6. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Started with MEC reloaders...

Bought a Spolar with manual operation a couple of years ago. Was very very happy with it.

Added the hydraulics this year. It is absolutely great.

Would recommend a hydraulic Spolar to anyone.

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I went from an 800C to a Spolar.

The PW made lots of shells and worked fine, but the Spolar has a couple things that I think make it more reliable and easier to operate.

The Spolar sizes on the upstroke and seats primer on the down stroke were as the PW sizes and seats primer on the down.

The system that moves the shot and powder drops on the Spolar is simpler with less parts to wear than th PW. The new PW Patriot uses a system similar to the Spolar now.

Shell table turns clockwise on PW, counterclockwise on the Spolar.
  8. Randy P

Randy P Member

Just bought a Spolar and hydraulic unit about a month ago and really like it. Keep your eye on the primer and you won't have any problems. I have 3250 out of mine with no problems that were not my fault at the learning stage. Came from a 800B, which I still have and no knocks on the P/W, just like my Spolar better.
  9. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

Love my Spolar that I have had for about ten years. However I have had problems using any primer other than Winchester. Remingtons are a nightmare on my unit......don't want to feed the priming cup. Not everyone has this problem but many others do. Also it seems the resizer die does not resize the hull as much as the Mec. As a result sub gauge hulls sometimes won't freely drop in the chamber....haven't had the problem with 12 gauge hulls. Other than that it is smooth sailing.
  10. cunninmp

cunninmp TS Member

I still have my PW 2000 but it's setup for 7/8oz only.
    I've had my Spolar for 2 1/2 years now. Ordered the hydraulics
    2 months after I got the loader.
    Compared to the both of them, the Spolar is a Cummins Diesel and the
    PW is a Briggs & Stratton.
    My Spolar just keeps going and going. Only thing I've replaced are the
    wad guide fingers. But thats only because it loads so many in an hour
    compared to the PW.So now after I've loaded btween 12 and 15 flats I
    just change out the fingers.
    My PW is hand operated and there is nothing wrong with it. But it's
    like Apples and Oranges. There is no comparison.
    If you get one, just take your time at first and you'll see how the loader
    works.

Mike C.
    Groveland, CA ATA Life Vet
  11. WesleyB

WesleyB Active Member

For us poor boys... what are you going to do with the PW..800+

Keep or sell? I would be interested.

Thanks
  12. Bill Roberts

Wesley, I already have a buyer for it. Sorry.

Thx to everyone for the posts. The wife said go for it. I'm just having
    a little problem pulling the trigger.

Bill
  13. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Member

buy one I have a hyd Spolar and Dillon SL900's love them both each has their own qualities
  14. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Don't think about it... Just do it. You will NOT be disappointed.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
  15. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Rolls Royce of Loaders. Will not regret it.
  16. Didreckson

Didreckson Member

While PW is a good unit, works great for many, Whiz is without a doubt a prince among royalty on support....go buy the Spolar. You will never regret the purchase.

If you have not seen it, consider the PW electric drive for it. Yes, Spolar is less than supportive of that drive, but I have both hydraulic and ED. Can honestly say I prefer the electric. Hydraulic has some pluses, and the Spolar hydraulic to me is superior to all others. I love the quiet grunt of raw power out of the PW drive. It is a tad slower I think, but that has to be a minor consideration. I can load so many more than I can shoot it is not even funny.

Which ever direction you go, put a Spolar on the end of the drive and enjoy the ride.
  17. cbaxter9

cbaxter9 TS Member

Another option to consider for the Spolar is the Ponsness Warren auto-drive instead of the hydraulics. I bought the auto-drive because my reloader is near the living room/kitchen and hearing the noise of the hydraulics in addition to the vibrator motor would be just a bit irritating. I bought the auto-drive from Whiz White, great guy to do business with (http://www.swsupply.com). It is super quiet, smooth as glass and easy to operate. Here is a video of my setup just after I got the auto-drive running.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5bWI1dKJMSg?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5bWI1dKJMSg?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  18. perga1

perga1 TS Member

I have loaded 400,000 plus shells on a P-W Silver ST, 800C. I bought a Spolar because I heard how much better they were. I found the Spolar to be too fussy on primer selection and I didn't like the way the primer just sat on top of the post exposed and able to fall off, which it did on occaision. Sold the Spolar and bought a Hydraulic for the P-W due to shoulder problems. Both machines are top shelf in my opinion but I pferferred the P-w. It's like an old friend whose been around since 1986. JRm
  19. Bill Roberts

Give me the pros and cons for electric or hydraulic?

WHY one over the Other?????

Thx Bill
  20. skip

skip Member

Primer delivery system needs a little work.

Won't feed Remington Primers very well and can have problems tipping other brands in the Primer delivery cup.

Don't have primer delivery problems with my Ponsness Warren.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.