1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a new trap

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Outdoors Junkie, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outdoors Junkie

Outdoors Junkie TS Member

0   0   0

Our club is looking to purchase a new or a very good used doubles and single trap. I have looked a several different models. Any ideas on what model is best.We currently have a 185 LaPorte that throws singles only. I am also looking for a new or used Canturbury Voice Release systems wired or wireless.

Outdoors Junkie

2. GRR

GRR TS Member

0   0   0

PAT By far the best trap on the market.

3. Outdoors Junkie

0   0   0

That is what I was thinking about but I had heard that when you work on one it is very expensive. Also is there such a thing as a good used PAT Trap.I have been told that when they wear out it cost too much to repair one so they don't take them on trade in. I really want to purchase a NEW trap and I know the PAT is the best,However the finances could be an issue with our club at the moment.

James

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

OJ, I was in charge of getting as much info as possible on all traps for my club, as we decided to purchase 2 new traps. We had a LaPorte 185 single wobble and a Laporte TL 2000 single, double, wobble trap. We chose 2 PAT wobbles. First all PATS are doubles machines and singles, the wobble feature added about $800 to the price of the trap.

After looking at Mattarellis, GPs, Promatics, GMV superstars and PATs. It appeared that Promatic makes a good trap and GMV and PAT make excellent traps. However, out of 4 distributors that I called none of them had a GMV in stock and they were waiting on their orders to come in. It appears that GMV has been slow to deliver the orders and are running about 1 to 2 months behind. The parts list is lengthy on GMV and its all electric.

The PAT appears to be the simplest trap out there and even though in my personal opinion they don't look like they are built very heavy. They do hold up and seem to throw consistent targets. Personally, I prefer hydraulics as much as possible over electric solenoids and motors to move the trap. Compare the parts lists. Simplicity is a good thing plus PATs are made in America while GMVs are made in Sweden.

Hope this helps, I'm sure there will be more people weigh in on this subject.

John Ertel

5. Outdoors Junkie

0   0   0

Thanks for the information

6. setter

setter Member

0   0   0

Check out the above thread!!!!!

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Our club has 4 of the GMV Superstars. All throw doubles, and 2 have the wobble option. I agree with Gary, above. I would not buy a Pat trap, at any price, if there was a GMV available. The differnce in performance and target presentation are as different as night and day. I'll take the mechanical firing solenoid on the Superstar over the electronic firing mechanism of the Pat every day of the week. The electronics that John, above says the Pats don't have, are the very reason there is always a delay in the release of a Pat trap when compared to a GMV. Angles on the GMV are set the same way as a Winchester 1524, while a Pat trap depends on the adjustments of "micro switches". And, I have yet to see a GMV throw 2 targets at the same time when set in the singles mode, as we all KNOW the Pat traps do on a regular basis. While a Pat trap will do an acceptable job for you, when you compare the prices for both traps, why not spend the same amount for a great trap rather than buy just a good trap?.... Just my experience, and believe me, I've been there and done that... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

We have three gmv's,they have been bulletproof even in very cold temps(below zero)they throw very consistent targets and are easy to adjust and change from singles to doubles or wobble.Jerry

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The trap will perform in relationship with the service you provide it. We have four regularly maintained PAT's and have few problems. I shoot at two clubs, one with PAT's and the other GMV's and both clubs throw terrible targets. The traps are not taken care of. It's not the trap, it's the person taking care of it and the fewer people working on it, the better. I even know a guy that can make a LaPorte throw good targets.

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

0   0   0

WE have a GMV at our club that we waited 20 weeks to get 2 years ago . We love it and had some minor mechanical problems that were corrected in short time by Shyda services . We decided to get another with a wobble set-up but we have been waitng for this one over 8 months with not a date in sight for a delivery so I emailed Peter in Sweden without an answer , which is over 2 weeks now . With this delay we still will wait for a GMV because I don`t want a hydrolic system as Pat Traps have or the inconsistant speeds until the rubbers stretch out or whatever they do at different temps .

11. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

0   0   0

We have a Pat at our club and when we open up the traphouse we turn the hydraulic pump on and by the time we have the CVR set up the machine is warmed up and ready to go. We have had no trouble at all with our Pat in the cold weather,500,000 on the counter and all we have replaced is a few target brushes and a set of rubber bands. The double targets that everyone has talked about coming out of the Pats is because there is not enough tension on the roller for the doubles target, or the rubber O rings need replaced. No matter what kind of trap you have it still has to be adjusted properly and maintained if you want good targets.

12. Outdoors Junkie

0   0   0

Thanks guys for the information.I know we are going to need one soon our trap is a 95 model and keeps needing parts. The main objective is to keep our shooters happy and throw great targets. It sounds like if I go either with a PAT or a GMV I will be OK . They both sound like good traps. I will have to wait on a board meeting and I will bring these two up. In the meantime do any of you know a good mechanic to work on LaPorte 185 TALH in the central KY area. It seems to have a few problems we can't fix.

13. shotgnrox

shotgnrox TS Member

0   0   0

I have several used traps in stock give me a call my name is vinceph.# 813-277-6543

14. SeldomShoots

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Ray, I heard that the GMV copied the Beaomats, and that Beaomat doesn't produce any longer. You heard anything like that? John Ertel

15. SeldomShoots

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Interesting, I had heard something about GMV taking over from Beaomat, maybe it was GMV just taking or copying some of the design. I don't know if we could be shirttail relation or not. I was not at the N.E. Grand. All of my family is from Southeastern Indiana. Where you from? John Ertel

16. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

0   0   0

Call Steve at Las Vegas Gun Club. He may still have the trap machine he has for sale.

Phil Santos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.