1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a Caesar Guerini

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shooterxt, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooterxt

shooterxt TS Member

I was thinking about buying a Caser Guerini Summit Combo. I am currently shooting a Browning XT (About 4 years now) an I really love it. The XT fits well and I have been breaking high scores pretty consistantly. It is just that Those unsingle Combos look so cool. I know a different gun or looking cool is not going to help break targets, And I feel that I have just finaly gotten used to shooting the XT. But I would like to hear from those of you that own a Caesar or have shot one for a while. Are they worth the money? What are your likes and dislikes? Should I stick with what I have and what I know works for me? Or is the grass truley greener on the other side of the fence?

Thank you,
    Mark

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Does the old saying: "Don't change horses in mid stream" strike a familiar chord?

Eric

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Browning makes their Unsingle Combo. Shooting one of these led to my sale of a high grade K-80 Unsingle Combo. The Browning simply felt and shot better for me, with less recoil. Their Unsingle Combo feels even better than the standard XT.

Once you get beyond the 24 yard line, the Unsingle makes a lot of sense. You want your Caps barrel to shoot HIGH without changing the POI on your Doubles barrel set. Can anyone say "Adjustable Rib"?

I could not believe how rock solid the O/U barrel set is for Dubs and Skeet. I immediately fell in love with Browning's Unsingle barrel. My only addition was to install a reducer in the stock and one in the false barrel.

These guns will run with ANYTHING on the ATA field. I also ordered a set of Bore-Matched Angleport Extended chokes. I shoot 5 points at Skeet, and 40 points at everything else. The 16 yard and first Doubles target breaks must be seen to be believed. The 27 yard target is simply vaporized.

Although I have a Perazzi MX-8 Trap I shoot for fun, the Browning is its peer on the ATA and NSSA field. The Browning has MUCH less recoil. It will digest my Handicap load without discomfort. The Perazzi will QUICKLY let you know that you do not want to shoot handicap ammo in it.

As far as the Guerini, I would want to see how they hold up and how stable the customer support is down the road.

4. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

I shot an XT and went to a Caesar Guerini, the change over was very easy! I bought a combo, because of my interest in Doubles! I'm up 3% in singles and caps, and 10% in Doubles, I was in more shoot offs this year than all six years combine! I won evens in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Mich. I'm very happy with the gun. I adjustable rib on the double barrel lets me match my unsingle!The stock is very nice compared to the XT, more wood and is wider.
    13 months without any problems, over 10,000 rounds

5. Shooting Coach

Have you had an issue with the gun? If so, how was it handled?

We need to hear reports on these guns. They ARE the new kid on the block.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

shooterxt just my opinion you understand everyone here seems to think that this is not the best move.

To that I say you are the one that has to shoot it not to mention pay for it. So with that being said why ask for advice on a move you are the only one that will suffer or benefit from?

BTW some one said "Don't change horses in mid stream" well this isn't a horse. Remember "Nothing ventured nothing gained"

Bob Lawless

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Get the Caesar Guerini. I have a XT and the CG for me is a easyer gun to shoot. The CG feel lighter less recoil better balance. I have never shoot good with a new gun as the CG. If you can try one out you will go home with it.
    I had I guy at my club shoot my CG and he went out a got one.

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Mark, I sent you a PM. Jake

9. fletcher

fletcher TS Member

Buy it and move on. I have the Summit un-single been shooting it non-stop for the last 13 months and love it. Had it serviced at the Grand for it's annual pit stop people were freindly and very helpful. Bought a Combo Summit in June had some miss fire issue's the folks at the Grand worked on it a couple times said if we cannot fix it we will get you a new one and take this one back and figure out the problem, they were able to fix mine and have had no issue's since. Love the product and the people are great to work with. A whole lot of gun for the money. Jeff

10. George MT.

George MT. Moderator Staff Member

Hello Mark! Ultimately you have to shoot what you feel will provide you with the best fit and feel.If you are shooting well with your XT and have confidence with it every time you pull up to shoot a target then that is excellent.Several shooters at my local club own CG combos and have been very consistent with them.The feedback that I get is that they feel there is not much recoil on the bottom single and they are able to make adjustments with the CG that they would not normally be able to make with other fixed rib guns.At our club we had a CG rep there with demo guns and shooter we able to spend alittle time with the combo and feel first hand what they were like,check with CG and see if there is a rep in your area where you would beable to do this.As far as service goes,my dad sent his CG over under in for a rib repair and the whole process was handle well with no false promises made or over hype of performance.At our local club,I believe there are 5 or 6 regulars that are shooting CG combos.That is a pretty good ratio for our area.If you have to contact CG direct, talk to Victoria or Kathy,they sincerly try to communicate with the customer rather than just pass you off.Hope this help,George JR. MT

11. shooterxt

shooterxt TS Member

Well, thank you all for your help on this topic. It is always nice to have a different sounding board to recieve opinions from. I know that only I can decide on what is best for me and my shooting but it is good to get other opinions too. There is something to be said for sticking by whatever works best, however ther is still a part of me that wonders if I am missing out on something better. I guess I should have tried a Demo Gun out while I was down at the Grand this year, however the time seemed to go so fast while I was there. (It was my first Grand) Maybe I will try to schedule more time for next year and be sure to take one to the practice trap.

Mark

12. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Shooter,,if you buy the CG, and want to sell your XT, and it is a trap model (would like 32" barrel) I might want to buy it.
    Norman

13. Shooting Coach

Obviously, XT's are not hard to sell. :^)

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

shooterxt,

If you are anywhere close to Indiana Gun Club, they have a demo model or two you can try out.

ec90t

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

MIA if it was a PM why are you explaining it? Thats why they call it Private.

Bob Lawless

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I heard that the Guerinis are made by Fabarm, and just the wood is done by Guerini?? Not sure of the validity...

17. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Hey Frank C,
    I heard that Fabarm also makes Kolars and and other big name trap guns. Not sure of the validity.......

For gosh sakes man, why don't you contact Caeasr Guerini USA in Cambridge , MD and ask them. You can get contact information from their web site. Ask for Wes Lang - President.

You can google Caesar Guerini or Fabarm.

Let us know which one works.

Dr. Honk

18. freeride

freeride TS Member

Shooterxt,

I have put about7000 + rounds through my CG Magnus TC. Did my trading at Ind Gun Club.The gun is well made. I did have a problem the Un single barrel. The choke was not centered ln the barrel. I was at the Ind State Shoot,and CG Rep and ther gun smith said new barrel. To make a long story short. The gun was sent to Cambridge MD, on Monday after the State Shoot and replaced with a new Un single barrel and two new choke tubes that were damaged. It was returned to Ind GC ,the next friday that is a five day turn around. Not bad for a new company! Oh by the way no charge for the new barrel or the shipping. I have own two Browning XT . they are good guns ,but I am left handed. So for me the CG with LH is jut what I wanted.
    I hope this answers your Q!
    Freeride aka Joe V

19. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Shooterxt,
    To get back on topic of your purchase of a Summit Combo, I purchased a Summit Combo in March of this year. My previous competition guns were Browning BT-99 for singles and handicap and Browning Ultra XT for doubles. While my singles and handicap scores (AA / 25) were OK my doubles scores were weak (D).

I made the decision to purchase a combo to improve my doubles scores as I felt that shooting the same frame could only help.I did a bit of research and, for the money, determined the Caesar Guerini Summit combo would be the right gun for me.

I took delivery of my combo and found a small problem with the adjustable comb.
    I contacted the east coast rep, Jack Curry of CG and explained my situation. Jack arranged for my gun to be picked up on a Tuesday. The gun was shipped back on Thursday with the problem resolved. I had another issue occur in May. Once again, Jack Curry was contacted. Once again he arranged for the gun to be shipped back to Cambridge. This time it took several weeks to resolve the issue but it as resolved.

Caesar Guerini's customer service is EXCELLENT. They are a pleasure to work with and value their reputation and your business.

As for the gun: I truely enjoy shooting this combo. The high rib is great. The recoil is very mild, even shooting Nitro loads for handicap. You can adjust both the unsingle and OU ribs to your desired POI. The comb is also 4 way adjustable.

I have put about 10,000 rounds through the gun with no further issues. My singles are still AA, handicap is still 25 but my scores have been improving and are now in the 90's and my doubles scores improved to B class. The last 500 doubles targets have been a solid A.

Would I recommend a Caesar Guerini Summit Combo to a fellow trap shooter? Definitely YES.

Dr. Honk

20. shooterxt

shooterxt TS Member

Dr Honk, and Free Ride

Thank you for your advise, I am looking forward to doing a little more homework this fall and maybe I will be in a new gun by this spring. I am glad to hear that both of you have made the transition to a new gun fairly seemlessly. Those of you from the northern area get out there and shoot before the cold weather hits us. I will be one of those cold shooters this year, however it seems to be even more enjoyable shooting in shorts and a t-shirt.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

would you buy a ceasar guerini summit gun