1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

thinking of a PFS for my MX8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hera200, Sep 11, 2013.

1. hera200

hera200 Member

I am seriously thinking of purchasing a PFS stock for my MX8 but regardless of what gun its going on, what are the opinions regarding this stock set-up. I am a trapshooter only and am now in my seventies. I thought the recoil aspects would be a help especially with handicap loads although I am only a mid yardage shooter.
    ANY PERSONAL experiences would be appreciated. I am not too much of a fiddler as far as constant adjusting once I get a stock set up. Have a couple of used ones on the line for 750 to 1000 dollars. Opinions are most welcome. THANKS.....BUD

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I had one for awhile. IMO, it's the best of it's kind, if you can get over it's look.

It takes awhile to set it up with all the available adjustments. The recoil taming ability is not comparable. I think everyone should try it before going to release trigger.

I finally got couple soft touch, Gracoil, and one ISIS, because I couldn't find a gun ugly enough to put on PFS, and I don't need all the adjustments. I shoot most standard factory stock dimensions

If I ever going to shoot something I really don't care about it's look, I'll put on a PFS in a heart beat.

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Granted the system is not the best looking but if you add a wood grip and comb its really nice looking.

4. hera200

hera200 Member

THANKS Steve for the info. Looks don't bother me either as long as it works but I do love fine wood. Do any of the really good shooters use a PFS? THANKS.....BUD

5. hera200

hera200 Member

CALKIDD, It just so happens that the one I am thinking of for $1000 has beautiful wooden grip and cheek piece included and I think it does look really good.....THANKS...BUD

6. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I put a PFS on a Perazzi MX3 Special in 2008. A week later I attended a clinic by Harlan Campbell Jr., who fit the stock to me and adjusted the point of impact. I set the recoil reduction unit to work on the "stiff" side. Only about three to five turns out for recoil reduction.

I found that when everything looked good to me, my gun with the PFS was shooting a lower POI than with the standard wood stock. Harlan adjusted this for me. My sight picture changed dramatically. With the standard wood stock I could stack the front and middle beads. Now with the PFS, I saw a significant amount of rib between the beads. These changes transformed my shooting for the better.

I credit both the PFS and Harlan's coaching. I have won more trophies since this time than I had in my previous 30 years of registered shooting. The PFS recoil reduction feature allowed me to shoot week long events without any discomfort of fatigue.

Previously I would have one good day, then a bad one due to my shoulder being torn up. It was clear my Perazzi was not fit properly in all the years I had been shooting it. Once I had the PFS set up, I would only check and reset the tension on the recoil reduction unit every thousand rounds or so. This was the only maintenance that I saw a need to perform. The service from Vern Brown is the best of any product I've purchased involved with the sport. I would not hesitate to purchase a new rather than used unit. In my opinion they are a bargain. But be prepared to take some time to set up your POI to match your previous performance. This has been my personal experience. Good Luck.

Play Dead

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I tried one and ended up returning it. It is very fiddly and it rattles. The only thing I liked about it was the recoil reduction. You trade off gun movement for reduction. Once you have it adjusted to your liking you feel no difference in recoil between a light 1oz load and a Nitro 27. The only difference is how far the gun collapses the recoil mechanism.

BTW, if you shoot the second shot of Doubles quickly, you are not going to like the PFS. It will be rebounding forward as you target the second bird and is very disconcerting. The only way to get the rebound faster is to back off on the recoil adjustment. IMO, that defeats the purpose of buying a PFS in the first place.

I'll tell you the cheapest, most effective way to reduce recoil is to go to a lighter load and/or add mass to the stock. I had a bar of steel made to fit into the bolt hole of my Perazzi stock. It adds 15 ounces of weight, does not interfere with gun handling, and noticeably reduces recoil. The second one I had made has a hole bored down the center so I can reach the stock bolt without having to remove the weight.

Going to 1oz loads also makes a big difference.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

You won't regret it!

9. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Try a Pro Soft or Stock Lock if you can get to one and the $$$ are not a turn off. I really enjoy the Stock Lock. I had a PFS and Vern fit it to me. I never could shoot the gun.

10. hera200

hera200 Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone but recoil was not the only factor in mind. I also shoot both summer and cold winter leagues where lop is a factor due to extra thick clothing and I thought adjustable lop would come in really handy. I also like a little extra height for caps and didn't know how easy or not that would be to alter with the PFS. Still looking for all opinions from people who have tried one or knows someone who has. THANKS....BUD

11. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I have one for my Browning XT and like it a lot. The gun now fits me very well and there is little felt recoil. Buy one and give it a fair chance...you can sell it pretty easily if you think that it is not for you.

Chris

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had several over the years on different guns, Ljutic, Kolar & Perazzi. Best tool on the market for figuring out what you need in a wood stock if you're planning on having one made. If not, just a great quick fix to get the individual fit you need.

Buy it. You won't be sorry. If you don't like it you can always get all your
    money back out of it.

Good luck with it.

13. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Great stock....once you have settings dialed in you should loctite every nut and bolt cause they move....

If money is no object look at evocomp....they took the pfs concept and made it perfect..

14. thunder

thunder Active Member

Best stock for fit their is on the market. If you gain or lose weight you can make it fit again.

As far as movement goes it has very little and if you feel to much movement it is set too loose.

Never had one rattle and I have shot them for over 9 years and wouldn't be shooting anymore if I didn't use one.

Best dollar spent and priced right. Forgot to say they are beautiful because they work the way they were designed to.

15. hera200

hera200 Member

GREAT INPUT guys and I really appreciate all of it. Please keep it coming, there seems to be a lot of differing points of view and I sure would like to hear even more if you have time. THANS AGAIN...BUD

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Bud, I also bought mine for the adjustability, and I added the Ultimate Fit Comb. There are ranges to the adjustments, but they are not continuous. I sent mine back because I could not get a suitable adjustment for me.

A reasonably fit stock with an adjustable comb and two recoil pads are the way to go if you are looking for comfort and seasonal adjustability. If you are the type better fit by a Wenig New American type of stock or a "twisted sister", you will definitely not like a PFS. BTW, locktiting everything down will not eliminate the "rattle", but will make future adjustments much harder.

17. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Had mine for 10 years on two different guns. Not sure what you are talking about a rattle. Just put another one on a different gun. took all the wood stock measurements and transferred them to the pfs. Took me about 20 shots to set the recoil where i like it. Have 2 of them and they are great. The reason for the 20 shots was to set the recoil absorption. It was too loose and jumped when shot would recoil too much so I had to tighten it down bit by bit. Remember that if you do not like it then sell it to someone else and they only have to buy the grip for their specific gun. I don;t think you can loose money on a pfs used. Buy it and try it and don't look back. Motordoc

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

zzt, I'm currently best fitted by a ALL-American stock on my K-80-beady narrow eyes. I go nuts trying to make a PFS work consistently even with the ultimate fit comb. Am I a bit slow or is there a reason for my madness??

19. thunder

thunder Active Member

You don't need locktight on a PFS, every machine screw is high quality on this product. In all the years I used one and helped others never heard a rattle. If you have a rattle call Vern and he will take care of you.

20. APrice

APrice Active Member

Some folks love them. I gave the PFS a nearly year-long try out and finally decided it was not for me. Besides the ugly factor, there was some movement in mine when I mounted it that began to drive me crazy. Sent it back and it came back the same. Have Gracoils on five different guns now and couldn't be happier.