1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of a Goldwing.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ajc, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajc

ajc Member

The Gold Wing is still the ultimate touring bike. But I'm probably biased as I've owned one for 32 years.

If you are looking at a used one, what to look for depends on which year interests you.

The first generation Wings ('75-'77) are somewhat difficult to find, and likely show 30+ years of use and/or neglect. Nonetheless, if you can find one, with some elbow grease, can provide many years of additional service.

I recommend you post your question, with your specific years of interest, to www.ngwclub.com, and you'll get a great response. This same website has more info on the GL's than you'd ever want to know.

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

try this site....www.GL1800riders.com Lots of good information there.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

There are some of the 1800 cc bikes that have cracks in the aluminum frames. Honda has taken care of any where this showed up. There is a service bulletin on this. If I were buying a used one, I would spend the money to have it inspected by a good honda dealer. There are lots of them out there with a ton of miles that still run great, so they are mostly good. Good Luck.

4. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

BMW K 1200LT......or wait till BMW blows the wing away with its new 6 cylinder. Had them both.

5. bigdogtx

hopefully the new 6 cyl will be good,,,,wife and I rented one of the 1200's in PHX a couple of years and longed for our wing,,,,missed the power in the hills....

Leo is right there were some of the welds on some of the frames that cracked (separated),,,,most of these were until the 2004 models,,,,if you get one older, make sure they have had the frame checked....

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

It is really not possible in my mind to do better than a Gold Wing although I do ride its baby brother.
    [​IMG]

7. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

Hi There> First of all where are you located? I have a 2008 Goldwing that Ive been thinking of selling. It is candy red. Has many options. It is absolutely brand new, as it has 5700 miles. Fog lights hiway pegs, kyrakin grips, Several pieces of added chrome. Still has factory warranty until June of 2010. I have some very unique wheels, 13" on the wheel kit with chrome rims, that makes it look like a trike. They can be put on of off in a few minutes. Had them painted to match the bike. I have probably close to $26 to 27 thousand in it and will be asking somewhere in the low to mid 20's, 22 to 23. I probably have two grand in extras besides the wheel kit. If you were to have any interest I could send you some pictures as I took some today. I would guess you would like to know why Im selling. I would like to get a Harley trike. I may consider selling the wheel kit and take it to the twin cities and converting into a trike. This would be another option. I also have a Kawasaki 900 LT that I use around town. You cannot go wrong with a wing. This bike you have until June to purchase extended warranty. Runs about $600 for 48 extra months. If not too far away could consider delivery. Thanks much and have a good day. Alex Kotter superior wisconsin

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had 5 new Goldwings over the years and they are hard to beat in terms of breaking down, they don't. I just never considered it cool to ride and was not really comfortable on them so I bought a Harley and would never go back

9. hounddog41@charter.net

where abouts in Wisconsin?? alex close to superior?

10. hounddog41@charter.net

where abouts in Wisconsin?? alex close to superior?

11. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Bigdogtx, you must have not been on a 06 or newer K1200Lt after they bumped the HP ratings.
    The older LT's did have a disadvantage HP wise but I would still take a LT in a second. All the stuff you have to add to a wing is standard on a LT. The argument of which is better will be settled soon with the new LT. I also see honda has discontinued goldwing production in the US. The frame on my wing broke as did a lot of others. Poor design and production procedures caused it. Of course the rear ends on the LT suck too.

12. bigdogtx

cbx,,,,we were there in 2006, but don't know what year the rental was.

13. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Have owned 1000, 1100, 1500 & 1800. Loved the old 1500s,put them thru all the lower 48 states. Never did like the 1800 as well. Lots of power, run 137 mph, handled like a sports bike, but never had the ride of the 1500. Tires short life and very expensive. Cockpit area cramped for 6-2, 275. ride an Ultra Classic now. Not the bike, but WAY MORE FUN.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You live in Wisconsin, and you're not considering a Harley?!!!!Blasphemy!!!

15. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

If its between an 04-08 1800, check to see if its had the frame weld recall. Cracking underneath the lower cross-member(shock mount). I have welded 28-30 in the Central Texas area, I am the authorized Honda repair for this in the area. Jim Poor@Jims Custom Cycle, Honda dealer can run the Vin and tell you. They are better than new after repair. Jim (HD rider)

16. zap

zap TS Member

BUY MY BMW K1200 LT ONLY 3400 MILES PRISTINE AND PERFECT PICTURES AVAILABLE BEST TOURING BIKE EVER BUILT PERIOD

17. fly

fly Active Member

Had the HD's for years, had some earlier wings, currently wanted a new touring bike, and bought a 2009 K1200LT. This bike is hard to top. Was on a trip to Brainerd last fall, it started to rain, and I raised the windshield on the fly, and never stopped to put the rain gear on. The wings are nice, but test drive a BMW before you buy, just a suggestion.

18. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

You can't go wrong with a Honda, I worked @ a dealer for years. The Gold Wings came in for reg service and thats it. For long rides they can't be beat.

Aaron Holguin
    Honda rider for 25 yrs.

19. ABH

ABH Member

I have a 2002 K1200LT that I just don't use enough to warrant keeping. The bike has 9,700 original miles on it. Mint condition. It has everything you can think of except GPS on it. This can be added if you wish. I live in northern New Jersey. $10,500, OBO takes it. If interested, E-MAIL me back.

Thanks

ART H.

20. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Kolar Bear, I have been riding since 1975, have had a lot of bikes over the years. My favorite of the touring bikes is the Harley Electra Glide's, have had an Ultra that I sold when I got cancer, after recovering from treatment I replaced it with a Street Glide. What I really love about the Harley's is that you still feel you are on a motorcycle, you get plenty of air around the fairing while still having protection from rain. My Kawasaki Concours would bake you on a hot day.

The big twin is great, plenty of torque for effortless cruising, the bike feels very relaxed, also the handling is not bad at all. Both of the Glides I have had have been very reliable with 0 problems, also very easy to work on myself. No body work to remove to get to stuff.

Give one a road test, I think you will like it.

John
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.