1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about getting a Model 12 Engraved

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

All I can tell you is that Ken Hurst used to work in the Winchester custom shop for engraving. If you are going to have it done, he is the "authentic" Winchester guy. I assume you know how to reach him. If not, let me know. Jake

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

D B, I hope Mr. Hurst comes on and clarifies his work for Winchester. I was under the impression that Pauline Murrell is the last surving factory employed Winchester engraver, and Mr. Hurst did contract engraving for them. Either of the two is most capable in duplicating Factory patterns. Jeff

3. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Take a look here for Ken Hurst.

4. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Here is some work by John Barraclough. He is the past president of the Firearms Engravers Guild of America and a current engraving instructor.

<a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/bulldograce/?action=view&current=M12eng.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Matt, that's a beauty!!!! Hap

6. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

What about Nick Kusmit, he worked for Winchester?

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Well then have Gene from Iowa on one side Lumper on the other and have Gordy's likeness carved in the stock ? LOL. Jeff

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

9. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

To clear up the question ---- I did work for Win. after leaving Colt where I was listed as a custom shop master. I was listed as a Win. master engraver by Bruno Pardee who was the custom shop mgr. I only did work for them that was sent to me --- never worked in the factory. My co. also did contract work for Win. but only large runs such as 100 to 500 pieces --- these were done by my apprentist/journyman engravers and not me.

DB Bill ----- I'd be happy to discuss your ideas on engraving if you'd care to. I work seven days a week, 10-14 hours a day so am easy to reach at the shop. Please call me (910-221-5288 EST)when ever it suits, I'm always around Looking forward to talking to you, Ken

10. redix

redix TS Member

That's real gentlemanly of you, Mr. Pack. Wish there were more of your kind in this site.

11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

If this works, below are pictures of the planned engraving that Mr. Hurst is doing on an SX-1 for me. My goal was to keep the Win tradition on these types of guns, that is upland on one side and waterfowl on the other, but to absolutely NOT just copy the 12-5 engraving pattern that, no matter how valued they are today, are still for the most part just production engraving.

I think these pictures may be applicable to a M12...same basic receiver shape. Hope this is the kinda of stuff you were looking for Bill.

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=LeftsideofEngraving.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=rightsideofengraving.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

12. Baron23

Bill - I guess I should clarify a bit...the pictures above are the artwork used for my SX-1 engraving by Mr. Hurst. We did discuss and agree to two pheasants, a different set of short hair dogs from another illustration that we both liked better, there will be thin gold border around the receiver and scroll and gold wire in the end cap and trigger guard. We discussed scroll extensively and it will be much more lush than shown in these pictures (which are of an SX-1 Pigeon with factory engraving over which I laid out the art work). There are many styles of scroll and you need to look at them to decide what you like on the type of gun you are engraving (to me, a Mod 12 should have large American bank note scroll....but what you want may be very different.

My best suggestion for ideas is to spend a LOT of time seaching the net for vintage hunting, game scene, etc pictures and capture them. If you want to e-mail me, I can send you a disk of the extensive art work I captured and which we winnowed down to what you see above.

Remove xxx's s.l.xxxmeyers@comxxxcast.net

Cheers

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Bill, did not mean to step on your toes about factory engravers. I have almost every engraving book ever produced ,if you can be more spcific I will send some pics . Jeff

14. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

bill why don,t you just buy my arnold griebel engraved model 12 the one i showed you with the gold inlays that way you don,t have to wait around without your mod 12 . will see you weds.. dwain

15. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Baron23 / Mr. Steve ---- as a side note to your post re. engraving your SuperX . I now have four wood ducks inlayed in 24ct gold & am doing the swamp back ground scene. There is water of course and some large cypruss trees with spanish moss hanging from some limbs. The distant back ground will be covered with trees which are engraved showing them at different distances so as to give the picture a look of depth & dimention. This side shouldn't take more than another week and I'll be able to start on the dogs & pheasants.

Boone tells me he is about to send the try stock to you so that you can verify if the fit suits. It should be there shortly. Best regards ol horse, Ken

16. Baron23

Hello Mr. Hurst - outstanding. Yes, I spoke with Mr. Berlin (the younger LOL ) the other day and the pattern stock is here...well, I have to go the post office tomorrow morning to pick it up and then I'll put it on another gun and see how it goes. I figure a week or two with me, 3-4 weeks for duplicating, and three to four weeks for checkering and finishing (I hope). I would hope the stock would be done in three months, but I know from experience that these things often take longer than planned and quality is number 1.

Bill - so as to not hijack your thread, Ken brings up a point regarding engraving. He described the water fowl scene and, as you can see, that's not exactly like what is in the picture. For me, this is entirely expected. The pictures and my many conversations with Ken gave him a sense of what I was looking for with the understanding that he had the freedom to interpret my desires into something that would look good in metal and within the space allowed by the gun, particularly on the side with the ejection port. To me, what Ken described sounds perfect and beautiful. The one thing I asked for was to use wood duck since so many engraved guns are mallards, mallards, everywhere mallards and we agreed to some kind of flooded timber scene.

I anticipate that the pheasant/dog scene will probably be a bit truer to the art work since it seems like it should be able to be proportionally rendered in metal...but again, Ken understands that I give him freedom to express his decades of skill and experience to provide something that will be in harmony with the gun.

My point, limited and over drawn that it is, is that unless you want a specific picture duplicated (like a photo portrait of your dog), then you need to give thought to the degree to which you want to give the engraver freedom to allow the project to take advantage of his artistic skill and mastery of his craft.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

arnold gabriel gun engraver

arnold griebel engraver

arnold griebel engraving

arnold griebel engraving shotgun for sale

winchester model 12 ken hurst engaved