Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinking about doing something really STUPID!

979 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Prescott Gene 
#1 ·
I'm half tempted, in the near future, to drive from the Chicagoland area to Vancouver, BC. I'm hoping some of our Western States and Canadian trapshooters can help out with some advice. I'd be travelling during July sometime. Here's the kicker---I'd be pulling a fifth wheel, appr. 11,000 lbs. Oh, and did I mention I'm not particularily fond of extremely high mountain driving. I have driven from Chicago to Arizona, and had experiencced some mountain ranges there, but I would assume, nothing like Washington, etc. I guess I'd like to know how risky it is. It looks like the bulk of the travel would be along I-90. Anyone with insight, thank you in advance.

#5 ·
Startin, I pull a 5th wheel that grosses out near yours with an F250 Super Cab, '01 vintage, with a diesel engine. I tow in the Cascades of WA, OR, and CA, the Siskiyous of OR/CA, and the Sierra Nevadas of CA/NV. The only time I have any concerns is where I get on a 2 lane, mountainous, twisting and tight turns situation where I can't keep the RPMs in the power zone and transmission in the right gear. My guess, since you mention the Interstate highway(s), you'll have no problem at all with a Diesel engine from any of the Big 3 but you'll certainly encounter some hills where you might feel some guilt for slowing folks down if you're driving a gas engine; especially in the mountains where the power is affected by elevation. My experiences in all these situations is there's always a better route on the freeways than on the side roads and, unless you decide to climb Mt. Hood or Rainer, you'll not have serious problems IF your gear is in fine condition....Bob Dodd

#6 ·
Stay on I-90.....the 2 Canadian routes to the coast are highway #3...the southern route which is very scenic but mostly 2 lane and from the BC/Alberta border, which is on a pass through to Hope, BC. You will encounter 6 more summits...not fun pullin' a 5th wheel...and the Trans-Canada Highway #1 is mostly 2 lane for a about 1/2 it's length in BC.

#9 ·
Go West on I-90 to I-5 in downtown Seattle, turn North on I-5 and be sure you have the proper ID which may included a passport to go across the border both ways. The rules seem to be changing daily.

Today's Interstate highways will be a breeze. In the Summer of 1952 I worked at a Chevron station in Wallace Idaho which is at the bottom of a pass that crosses a portion of the Rockies. The Flatland tourists would come in for gas after coming down from the pass and head to the Elks Club across the street for a shot of nerve medicine. Several times we had to go roust them out so we could get paid and lock-up for the night. Wallace isn't nearly as much fun as it was in the days the mines were running full bore. Be sure to stop and visit the mining museum.

#13 ·
I'm jealous ... I could give you advice but I wont cause I'm jealous ... ya know without the expense of towing the 5th wheel and now having the choice of a possible different and more cost/fuel effective cruiser you could motel/hotel it in some very nice overnite stays with the money you save.

You are planning on making this a shooting trip as well aren't you?

#15 ·
Don't forget the proper papers for bringing guns into Canada! You have to get a permit!

If you are in the area, come on down and shoot the PITA Grand Pacific. Over 100 Squads for a week. The shoot is heald at Evergreen Sportsmans Club, just south of Olympia. Check the PITA Website.

As the posters above said, you are in for some great views and the Western Canadian Trapshooters sure know how to show hospitality!!!

At the Grand Pacific, when White Harlem and Little Canada meet, there is a BIG PARTY!!!

Have Fun!

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.