1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about changing from a 687 to browning xt

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nascarfan888, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

Hey guys currently I am shooting a Beretta 687 sporting with adjustable cone and graco butt plate. My gun right now shoots flat 50/50 POI even if I raise the cone and butt plate its still flat shooting. I here people talking about floating the targets in trap and how it is advantage. I like to shoot everything in the ATA shoots and was thinking about getting a Browning XT and then having stock cut for adjustable cone so I could have a POI like 60/40 or 70/30. want to get your guys thoughts thanks

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Have you tried an adjustable bib?

-Gary

3. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

whats an adjustable bib

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Theirs nothing wrong with the gun you already have. You just need to move your EYE higher up. If you line up the mid bead with the front bead and get a fig.8 look from the two lined up already, then just raise up your adj. COMB so the you start to get some space between the two beads. Start with a 1/8 between them look, then go l/4 look between the beads to find the POI you are looking for. A little at a time goes a long way. Hope this helps you out, don't forget to Breake-m all. Jeff

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It keeps the cone off your shirt, Silly.

-Gary

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

What Gary is eluding to is the "cone", as you call it, is actually the "comb".

ss

7. porky

porky TS Member

Nascarfan, You'll be glad you did. Don't forget to get a couple of aftermarket chokes( Briley/Wrights,etc.) If the beads line up for you on the XT, it will be shooting what you want, so don't rush right out to have the comb cut.

8. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Nascar fan, Like Jeff said above there is nothing wrong with the 687 it is a fine gun. Just move the comb up until you start getting the desired results. Personnal I started with an XT and it is a fine gun. When I purcheased mine I ponied up the extra dollars and got mine with the adjustable comb and a factory Gra-Coil. I really enjoy shooting my XT. I haev in the last six months bought a used KS-5 that I am using for Singles and Handicap. No reason to go away from the XT other than I wanted a Kreighoff an the price was right at the time I bought he one I have. If the KS had not been at the Grand Pacific when I was shooting there I would still be shooting my XT and be happy with it. In fact my averages would be high than they are now, due to the fact My scores suffered while I was getting used to shooting the KS-5. THe decision is yours. Either fix the 687 that you are shooting now or buy yourself and XT. You will not regret an XT if you decide to go that route. The best advice I have for you is if you go with the XT. Spend the money to get one with an adjustable comb and a factory Gra-coil of have a recoil reduction system installed on it if you buy one. Good Luck, Jim Bradbury

9. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

Ya thats the weird thing I have pattern my gun with adjustable butt plate all the way down and the cone all the way up and still getting 50/50 pattern

10. willing

willing Member

If you are stacking the beads you will always get a 50/50. Listen to PULL & Mark.

Bill

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Assuming you like the Beretta, why don't you get one of Etchen's 687 trap combos.

John C. Saubak

12. nascarfan888

nascarfan888 TS Member

That might be a good option I bought my beretta through Joel etchen the sporting version. I here a lot of good things about the Browning XT and shot it and like the way it felt recoil was good

13. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Gat ready to do some push ups XT = heavy. Nice gun though!!!

14. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

What you need to do is get trap barrels for your 687. Trap barrels have a slight upward bend that field and skeet guns do not.

I have the Etchens unsingle combo and shoot it well. You have to match your equiptment to the game you play, Clays,Skeet or Trap.

Your stock will be ok with the adj. comb and pad, but its your barrels that will make a bigger difference especially an unsingle with adj. rib.

Jerry Lewis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.