1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about a MODEL 12

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slickhead, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Thinking of buying a Model 12. Needs to be pre-64 and not butchered up. Monte Carlo, Full, Nice wood. original,matching numbers, good bluing. Release is a Plus! Thanks Jimmy

2. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

I have one listed on gunbroker.com that is near perfect, search model 12 pigeon, Dan

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Why don't you get something a little more modern?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

shot410ga- A m-12 is a classic trap gun that will provide exceptional service. Few modern guns are built with the care and precision that is found in a M-12. And, when the action of a M-12 is closed it just sounds like a shotgun should sound.

I guess my K 80 is a more modern gun but the basic design of my gun and almost all standing breech guns dates to about 1885.

Pat Ireland

5. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I've seen the title of this thread many times over the years and it must be testimony to the gun. Had the same thread myself seven years ago. Purchased a good one, shot it as well as anything I've ever handled and sold it, later wishing I hadn't. Lot of other folks have said the same thing. A wonderful pointer. Kicks a bit but I put a gra-coil on mine.

6. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Shot410ga. I take it that you haven,t shot or should I say handled a Model 12 at the game of Trap. It is nothing absolutely nothing that handles and points like one. I must say also nothing else kicks like one either. Check out what gun has won more Grand American Handicaps. Guess what the MODEL 12. Thanks again Jimmy. PS You fellows that have sent me emails I will get with you as quick as I can.

7. richrob

richrob TS Member

There is a guy local to me thats has one about that "is about 50 years old and in about as good of condition you will see" he also has an old mec reloader and some supplies, says he hasnt shot in many years. I havent looked at it yet, but he wants $1000 for everything, is it worth my time at that price? -Rich

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I'd take a look. May be a # 5 engraved w/ B carved wood and evn a standard model if its really nice could be worth a grand.

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Most Model 12 trap guns in decent condition are "pushing" the $1000 area. I recently saw a "built up" Model 12 trap go for $800 on Gunbroker.com. They don't make them anymore and it seems the popularity of the gun keeps getting greater all the time. As Pat Ireland mentioned; you can hear the distinct sound of a Model 12; when the action is being closed. The Y models, (post 1964) are also becoming more expensive to purchase. Ed

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Buy a Milled rib rough back fall in love shoot it sell it and kick yourself ever after. If you love it and keep it your next quest will be to find a Rem 31 TC after that get a Y model to shoot with a recoil device lengthen the forcing cone what ever and enjoy an American icon. I do not shoot mine much any more have trouble shucking them now last year I got a new elbow from an motorcycle accident but just can't bring myself to selling them after 50 years of shooting Model 12's. I still have a Skeet with solid rib 4 trap one 3 inch one solid rib 12 gage one solid rib 20 gage. One 31 TC one 870 TC I should sell them all but just can't seem to do it. I should and spend the money on therapy.

11. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

One Eye, if you sell them all - You will need therapy. I'm in the same boat. 4 traps, one 3inch, one field, a 42. But I still toss and turn at night thinking of the ones I let go.

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have several Mod. 12's all gauges. Two 16ga. and a couple of 42. Of all said and done the MOD.12 probably has had more articles written about it than any other gun made. It probably has went through more custom jobs of different variations and so on than any other model a of shotgun has. Two most american shotgun shooters there was probaly one in the family at sometime in their life when they were young. I will not say all shooters,to those who have not then they have never completed the full enjoyment of a fine,smooth action, shooting shotgun. And thats all I got to say about that.

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

That ol' John M. Browning was really something, eh? Jake

14. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

John Browning was really something....but he didn't design the model 12.

Scwing states that T. C. Johnson designed the first slide action hammerless in house at Winchester.

15. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

slickhead,

If you have interest,

I have one I might let go but it left the factory in a "field grade" configuration. The gun was sent back to Winchester for the "Trap Upgrade" after the original purchase, and was ribbed and stocked by Simmons, stamped, and sent back. It's a very nice 30" with 99.9% blue, very nice 100% straight walnut stock and forearm set done in oil, with clean sharp checkering and cap, and a pigeon faced triple magnum Pachmayr pad. Overall this gun looks like new. All functioning parts, take-up ring, ejectors, action release, bolt assembly, trigger group, etc, are matching and in perfect condition.

I have no quims about build-up type guns, especially nice ones, they function, point and shoot as well as any of my pigeons or traps.

If interested my e-mail is listed above.. drop the X's

ol 12

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Pat Ireland,

I've had Model 12's and still have a Model 31 with a very high Moneymaker rib (wall hanger now). Model 12's are fine gun's. However, I remember when the BT-99 came out and sold for $269.00. Everyone shot Model 12's at the time. Then, overnight they (12's) were gone along with the bag of parts everyone carried when they shot them. BT-99 was the new king and I suspect if a survey was taken more people shoot BT-99's or their updates, more than any other trap gun. OH, I still have my old BT-99 that replaced the Model 12 & 31, Even though I've been shooting a Ljutic for 20 years.

17. oz

oz Active Member

I'm thinking about NOT buying a model 12. oz

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey Hitapair.....I'll take all the grade 5 mod 12's you can scare up for a grand each!

19. Bridger

Bridger Member

I like my Kolar just fine but the gun I really like to shoot is my Model 12. Took it out this morning and ran a 50 straight with it. And I know a lot of people think a Model 12 has a lot of recoil. I'm a recoil pansy but I have shot a lot of guns that kick worse than a Model 12.

20. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Ol12 Shooter any pictures? How much?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.