1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Think/analyze too much? Naivete kicks butt?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

I'm shooting 4-8 rounds/week, studying books, Kiner's trap DVD, adjusting/readjusting my Gracoil/comb, just ordered Ranger glasses, d*cking around with chokes/loads and am slowly rising thru the upper 80's. Been a long, expensive summer (nonetheless, having a freaking BALL with it all.) Anyway, this kid (18-20y/o) shows up at the field yesterday with his uncle. 1100 field gun with SHORT barrel and a sling on it. New out of the box. We had to instruct him on how to load one round into it. Kid NEVER stood on the line before. Had to teach him to say 'pull' ferchrissakes. I lended him my spare earmuffs/glasses. He proceeds to break/SMASH 19 targets. Smiles and says "wow...that was fun". Oy oy oy.

cheers all and 'smoke 'em'.

Bill

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

hahahahaa....some people are "naturals"!

I remember taking a friend who was a CanAm race driver to shoot Trap....he had never piced up a shotgun before. A quick expalanation of how to shoot....and he shot a 22/25, on his 1st try!

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but there are people who break a good number of birds on first attempts. However, the devil will be in the details.

Can the person stand and deliver the same numbers over a thousand targets? Each of the foregoing examples will be anecdotal about the shooters' first experience. Over time, the sheer inexperience will overtake them, and their scores will drop; either a little or a lot, depending on their overall shotgunning skills.

How will the tyros do over a longer period of time and changing conditions. Yes, trap is an easy game in concept. All targets are going away and rising. See the bird, smoke the bird.

I learned trap a little over forty years ago, and shot for almost a year. I gave it up, and didn't pick it up again until June of this year. On the first time out, I hit 22/25, 21/25, 23/25, 22/25, with a put-together Remingtion 870. I was in heaven. Reality set in. Scores dropped to as low as 18/25. Lessons with a top shooter; and changes and tweaks in equipment were needed. Right now, I'm shooting about 90%, and moving up. Yesterday was 24-25-23-24, 96%, with my first ATA shoot coming up Saturday. A lot of practice and empty hulls has purchased more consistency. I'm still taking lessons covering the small things that are needed to improve.

Glad the newbies shot well the first time out, but they probably could not continue the pace over time.

Best,
    Dennis

4. Billster

Billster TS Member

Agree with all, especially pendennis. It IS a simple concept. See bird - break bird. The real nut to crack is the consistency factor. Do it over and over and over again. Was glad to see a young newcomer to the sport. Afterward I patted him on the back. He said "I'll be back fer sure." I laughed and replied "Wait'll you see how much $$ you get to spend." Heh.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.